Login

russian armor

OCF recap thoughts

PAGES (9)down
29 Sep 2015, 03:33 AM
Senior Caster Badge

I personally vote that we have no more invites like that in. Org official tournaments. A lot of good players got knocked out in the early stages and nothing is to say these players would have been at this stage for sure.

I felt like we basically offered these players a bigger chance of winning money, which I thought was wrong.

Also as we saw from Aimstrong vs Omgpop... It didnt exactly guarantee good games lol
29 Sep 2015, 03:33 AM

Tournament was great. Maybe next time just one invite for, idk, a winner of...something lel

Community is great, 5000 bugs are a good reason to be an asshole or whatever.

Longjohn has to show more cat next time !! kappa
29 Sep 2015, 03:40 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

COH1 had its fair share of salt. We had our own SPrice's and Paula's, even our own Barton, wait... WE ACTUALLY HAD BARTON. People abused all kinds of shit and the game had some really huge F-ups just like COH2, no actually worse.

The big differences here is COH1 was a replay based game for the community, we didn't have streams until the extreme tail end of COH1. COH2 is based around the streamers and the Twitch.TV world and frankly people are uglier in a chatroom than a moderated forum.

Until now COH2 had no real competitive tournament with enough cash to lure the pure competitive players in. Most successful RTS's have a consistent enough competitive scene to keep these types of players active in the game and not just show up for the tournaments but COH2 was not built for e-sports from day 1. We're slowly getting it closer but it's still nowhere near other RTS's for competition.

COH1 guys have said for ages that the new breed of COH2 top players don't compare to what we had in COH1. COH2 guys are mad about it because their hero's lost to COH1 veterans (who were unknown to them for the most part) who jumped out of the shadows and grabbed the cash. The real sad reality is the game alone isn't enough to keep the competition alive in any consistent fashion in its current state. COH1 was fiercely competitive compared to COH2 and mostly because it was setup for it from the beginning since for 2006 it had a killer in game UI and ladder. We're now in 2015 and COH2 has no In-Game ladders, hell not even In-Game level's like we had in COH1. Of course we're not going to draw in the most competitive players!

Most likely things will go back to normal in short order and the same players will keep playing and the players who were AFK will probably leave again.

Thanks to all who participated. Watching this tourny brought back a lot of memories and I hope we can heat up the competition as much in the future.
29 Sep 2015, 03:45 AM

The scrub mentality must be expunged from our community and a firm observance of the sovereignty of tournament organizers instilled.

Playing to win to the best of one's knowledge, using everything at one's disposal, and not limiting oneself arbitrarily is the highest honor one can give to his opponent in a competitive setting.

Likewise, tournament organizers have the rights to adjust their rules how they please, on any arbitrary basis, be they stupid or smart.

The consummation of honor and duty is in the obligation created by mutual agreement. The virtuous player abides by the arbitration of the tournament organizer, and plays to win with no further self-limiting.

Everything else is irrelevant.

If any person complains that a player is not arbitrarily limiting himself because of their own estimations of what is and is not cheap or honorable, they are arrogant because they, as a third party, attempt to impose this belief on mutually agreed persons, and likewise dishonor all. This is called scrubbery. Additionally, when a competitor dishonors the mutually agreed upon terms by violating them with full knowledge of his actions, and insists his code to be supreme over the rulemaker's, he is properly called a scrub.

Edit:
But, what are some reasonable reasons to ban things?
Well, this is where our discussions should turn.
Perhaps if something oversimplifies the game, i.e. removes depth by reducing the choice? Most would say that is a reasonable thing to ban.
Most would say, also, that it not interfere with the normal operation of the tournament: that it be easy to enforce and remain accountable so to not hold up the tournament.
Or, indeed, if something is boring or not viewer-friendly, and this last one is often the hardest because of conflicting interest, since it can be said to be 'players vs viewers', but, then, one might point to the ability for one not to enter, indeed, or not to watch, as is their choice, and demonstrate their dissatisfaction to the TO, thus going around the 'conflicting interest' argument since all parties have proper methods of recourse.
29 Sep 2015, 04:04 AM

Asking people to play six brackets in one day. Is absolute lunacy. The only reason we saw top players DROP out of the brackets is because they were playing for 10-14 hours. That. is. bullshit. You do NOT do that. That was the number one problem with the tourney.
29 Sep 2015, 04:10 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Sep 2015, 03:40 AMBudwise
COH1 had its fair share of salt. We had our own SPrice's and Paula's, even our own Barton, wait... WE ACTUALLY HAD BARTON. People abused all kinds of shit and the game had some really huge F-ups just like COH2, no actually worse.

The big differences here is COH1 was a replay based game for the community, we didn't have streams until the extreme tail end of COH1. COH2 is based around the streamers and the Twitch.TV world and frankly people are uglier in a chatroom than a moderated forum.

Until now COH2 had no real competitive tournament with enough cash to lure the pure competitive players in. Most successful RTS's have a consistent enough competitive scene to keep these types of players active in the game and not just show up for the tournaments but COH2 was not built for e-sports from day 1. We're slowly getting it closer but it's still nowhere near other RTS's for competition.

COH1 guys have said for ages that the new breed of COH2 top players don't compare to what we had in COH1. COH2 guys are mad about it because their hero's lost to COH1 veterans (who were unknown to them for the most part) who jumped out of the shadows and grabbed the cash. The real sad reality is the game alone isn't enough to keep the competition alive in any consistent fashion in its current state. COH1 was fiercely competitive compared to COH2 and mostly because it was setup for it from the beginning since for 2006 it had a killer in game UI and ladder. We're now in 2015 and COH2 has no In-Game ladders, hell not even In-Game level's like we had in COH1. Of course we're not going to draw in the most competitive players!

Most likely things will go back to normal in short order and the same players will keep playing and the players who were AFK will probably leave again.

Thanks to all who participated. Watching this tourny brought back a lot of memories and I hope we can heat up the competition as much in the future.

+1.

I'm happy DEVM won. because i love USF and love his USF play style.

anyway, i hope relic took enough notice to see what kinds of players they are missing out due to lack of slick in game ladder and ranks and ESL tourney that just disappeared into the thin air.

------------------

on OCF, i agree with everything except playing 6 brackets a day and invites. and i still think scheduling the tourney so quick after a faction launch was not the best idea.
29 Sep 2015, 04:11 AM
Patrion 310

SC2 is declining, COH2 is one of the few RTS games that continues to attract a steady stream of new players and twitch viewers. You have to be narrow-minded not to see the market potential.

Yes COH2 is still much smaller than SC2, but COH2 is still an unpolished game without much exposure compared to SC2. Imagine what a polished COH2 with more exposure could do.

So many thanks to Ami and other's involved for making this stepping stone towards a more competitive gaming community. But there are also ways to improve the qualifier tournament and learning from constructive criticism.
29 Sep 2015, 04:24 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Tournament was awesome, hope we will have another one next year.

Things to improve on:

The tournament needs to be broken up more over a few weeks, though I suppose some of the blame lies with Relic for the broken patch and hotfix.

The invites need to go. If good players being in the early rounds makes it too easy for them then they need to be matched against each other with the seeds more.

The twitch chat during the final match up was atrocious, just people copy paste spamming nonsense and bullshit. Needs more moderation, it's offputting to people who aren't big CoH fans coming in to watch the broadcast and see what the game is about.

All around I think the tournament was a great success, that viewer count was huge.

29 Sep 2015, 04:47 AM
Honorary Member Badge

CLEAN UP ON ISLE 12

so uh yea im gonna be doing some spring cleaning thank me later. B-)
29 Sep 2015, 04:53 AM

You're not serious are you? Way to turn a blind eye and engage rose-tinted goggles mode.

+1

I've been trying to avoid these "confrontations" and unnecessary name-callings for as long as I could but this *********** is turning this forum into Oct 2013 all over again.

WiFiDi oh no you don't i just ivnised like every post in this thread. though you probably didn't see that so im going to edit it so people can enjoy your awesome gifs :thumbsup:

so here just look at the gifs and enjoy the quality entertainment in this thread.

But uh, to some up my reactions to several issues here:
Having to play 6 rounds of 12+ hours of tri-hard CoH2 in one day without long breaks in between vs people in different timezones 12 hours ahead is retarded that this was not looked at 2 months before the tourney rules were released. I'm looking at you Ami and Romeo.

Sure you might say: "Well Von you need to understand sacrifices are needed here, nobody cares"
I would say this; after finishing that 6 round binge I acquired one of the worse colds I ever had.
Woke up in the morning and this happened:

Not to mention as my final round game against Jove I had to deal with this whereas others didn't:

Don't even get me started on the free seeds for such a high-profile tournament. I feel seeds were completely unnecessary for something like this(personal opinion):

After reading through all the wonderful comments left by VCoH "Pr0s":

I had discovered that some people take this **** way too seriously:

Now of course forum mods and others will say: "Von, you're also the problem here".
And to that I can only respond with one GifImage:

As for the VCoH "pr0s"

Man that felt liberating. Okay now back to trolling. Or was that trolling. I don't even know.
As for the winners of OCF, enjoy yourselves comrades. See ya when the money returns. :foreveralone:
29 Sep 2015, 05:12 AM
Donator 11

C: I would also like a bit more transparency considering bans of people/commanders/units/maps. Why they where banned and so on. AmiPolizeiFunk have always been transparent with the fact that half of the crowdfunded money will go towards this site tho, but it would still be interesting to hear what exactly you are using that money for (Even if it is just buying Vodka for 5k) Think it would make alot of ppl less salty if you where transparent with that.

What goes for the other part of this thread, that Basilone started. Don't take everything so seriously. In the end it's JUST A VIDEO GAME and I don't think that many people "hate" Aimstrong and DevM as you think. I hope they stay in the CoH2 scene atleast and I also hope they will stream some games now and then. It was fun watching DevM stream a few times before OCF started. I think the CoH2 scene will benefit more from having them here then we will if they leave. People can have personal problems with each other and that's ok. But please don't take everything so seriously. That's my opinion atleast and I love this game even if i'm lousy at it :D

+ 1
29 Sep 2015, 05:13 AM
Donator 11

Potential future improvements: Actually ensure that British units aren't horribly broken like excellent accuracy AA guns (Centaur, Bofors), Land Raiders that can throw satchel charges at people (Churchill), and Snipers that can shoot with perfect accuracy versus buildings.

Really honestly Brits design wise are great but Relic really messed up the implementation.

I have no comment on this stupid drama bullshit and I aggressively don't care about twitch. Sib and Dusty are cool guys is all I really have to add.

+ 1
29 Sep 2015, 05:17 AM
Benefactor 115

GG WP everyone. It was entertaining.

My only request for next time is that the soap eating is live via web cam during the final.
29 Sep 2015, 05:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Sep 2015, 05:05 AMPorygon

I have faith in you Von, don't turn down to those level would ya?

I only preach the truth from the evidence laid out in front of me. I'd rather not say these things, as it's not my style, but when getting slapped in the face with the obvious, I'd rather be honest :foreveralone:
Take it with or without a grain of salt.
29 Sep 2015, 05:25 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Sep 2015, 04:53 AMVonIvan

Man that felt liberating. Okay now back to trolling. Or was that trolling. I don't even know.
As for the winners of OCF, enjoy yourselves comrades. See ya when the money returns. :foreveralone:

+ 1
29 Sep 2015, 05:44 AM
Honorary Member Badge

okay so i just cleaned what im pretty sure is this entire thread and now i can finally say that. Frankly I don't care if you think coh1/coh2 "community" is superior. :loco: it doesn't really matter and it certainty has no relevancy in this thread. its disrespectful to the guy who put effort into making the thread, not to mention people in the community people are referring to... >:( Don't be surprised if some of you get some messages in your inboxes about how inconvenient you've just made my night. :nahnah: Okay, okay you got me that would require far more effort than I have the will to give tonight. :p ) So to pep my tired self up Ive decided to pull an oldie out of box (i found it by searching Google images "coh1 vs coh2" :lol: )

/hint hint the topic has nothing to do with how shit the community is. :rolleyes:

ps: nice thread by OP i haven't felt compelled to save a thread in awhile so congrats. :clap:

29 Sep 2015, 05:46 AM

+1 to VonIvan for somehow making the most sense in this thread despite using 9 separate Nicholas Cage gifs.
PAGES (9)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS