Login

russian armor

Something I don't understand about Relic - German campaign

22 Sep 2015, 13:19 PM
Donator 11

There is so much opportunity to create awesome stories of ww2 but relic dont have the talent no more and put stupid shit as VP counters in a singelplayer campaign.
22 Sep 2015, 13:46 PM

After AA you are still willing to pay relic for a single player campaign? Lol...

My advice: reinstall vCOH and its expansions. There were some pretty good german missions and its free too!

ps. +1 to codename panzers. That game kicked ass when it first came out.
22 Sep 2015, 13:47 PM
Donator 11

Theater of War is basically german campaigns. It doesn't have cutscenes to tie them together, but the missions are the same kind you would see in a SP campaign.

I actually enjoyed ToW a lot.
22 Sep 2015, 13:57 PM

Theater of War is basically german campaigns. It doesn't have cutscenes to tie them together, but the missions are the same kind you would see in a SP campaign.

I actually enjoyed ToW a lot.

You were not the only one.
I liked ToW a lot. Though I only have the regular campaigns and case blue because of the preorder.
But I honestly do not understand why they stopped making them.

They could also enable the modding tools to create own ToWs.
Just like Age of Empires scenario editor.
22 Sep 2015, 13:57 PM

geat idea!

As an example of allied and Axis campaign: Afrikakorps - Montgomery (Brits)
Nothing controversial cuz it was the most fair part in this war.

But anyways i would really like too see a normal campaigne, like others befor mentioned
22 Sep 2015, 14:07 PM

I would love any new campaign but not for 40 bucks.
22 Sep 2015, 14:12 PM

I think there is the option to upload custom missions on the steam workshop? To what extent people can make missions, i dont know, but Relic does have a sample mission.
22 Sep 2015, 15:48 PM

It is possible to depict the career of a German officer, who belongs to the "old-school": A Prussian aristocrat from a prominent upper class family, who lives in a mansion somewhere near Köningsberg before the war, and who succeeds in every battle, but loses almost everything during the war and then in the end becames a prisoner of war. That would not be so big risk, because they who belong to this old-school category didn't like Hitler, and Hitler didn't like them, and they usually had high moral standards, and because of it came in conflict with the Nazis.

Although this might work, it's not really necessary.

First of all, I ask you to watch the BBC's review of Generation War which aired after the series aired in UK. There are a lot of good points about the war and German people. In conclusion, after 80 years, German people have to right to tell the story from their own perspective. We all know that it wasn't the EVIL NAZIS vs GoodGuy USF/UKF and less evil Red. A lot more complicate that that. I don't wanna derail though, but it's perfectly fine to tell the history, even if protagonist(s) are bad guys. Look at Breaking Bad. Dude makes tons of meth and kills people. Do you see anyone raging? No. And that's fiction. WWII is history.

One more thing, I don't want to act as a liberal douche, but no one has "morals" in a full scale -and complicated - war like WWII. A person with morals doesn't mindlessly follow orders. So why complicate things? PE campaign was done right. Nothing controversial about it.

Soviet campaign is BS though, and the Russian dude is not completely wrong. He said a lot of BS but he had some points.

Conclusion, give us another PE campaign. This is called "Enemy at distance" in cinema, you don't judge them by their morals. This is what Speilberg did with Saving Private Ryan. On the other hand, you have Tarantino has his inglourious basterds.
22 Sep 2015, 17:00 PM

Hell, even AA from german perspective with active US battlegroups.

Pls;. Relic
22 Sep 2015, 17:21 PM

It's amazing how people still don't realize the gameplay flaws. CoH is a franchise based on WW2. The Germans lost. Period. There is no reason to start a campaign as an aggressor when you already know you won't succeed anyway.

What are you going to do? Alter history? No. Therefore you will play in Stalingrad and you will lose. Your effort will not be reflected in the outcome of the campaign. This is highly unsatisfying for the player and a waste of time for the developer. Get over it.
22 Sep 2015, 17:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Sep 2015, 17:21 PMQbix
It's amazing how people still don't realize the gameplay flaws. CoH is a franchise based on WW2. The Germans lost. Period. There is no reason to start a campaign as an aggressor when you already know you won't succeed anyway.

What are you going to do? Alter history? No. Therefore you will play in Stalingrad and you will lose. Your effort will not be reflected in the outcome of the campaign. This is highly unsatisfying for the player and a waste of time for the developer. Get over it.
Would be an awesome depiction of how senseless war is in general. You put effort in it to achieve a local victory, yet it´s not enough. The player plays the game for the game experience, the storyline and cutscenes, not to win a virtual war.

It worked perfectly fine in Tales of valor where you had to hold the gap in the Falaise pocket. Either way you lost in the end despite your achievements. This is in fact a lot deeper and more interesting than the good guy winning straight away.

That being said: A German campaign would be nice, but I prefer more multiplayer content first.
22 Sep 2015, 18:02 PM
Donator 11

Company of Heroes 2 is seen from company perspective. Is it possible that a single commander can win engagements and even then the whole army loses the war. It is possible to create missions where you can succeed in doing great things in this context. For example hold lines until civilians can flee, hinder breakthrough, do a counter attack that hinders a great catastrophe, help other units, and disobey orders to do something good. It is possible to create a game where the player can be a great commander even that the player knows that his country loses the war. It is important to create a good story.
22 Sep 2015, 18:12 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Sep 2015, 15:48 PMRMMLz
I don't wanna derail though, but it's perfectly fine to tell the history, even if protagonist(s) are bad guys.

I have seen the Generation War series. I think that the story would be more interesting if the hero is a good guy when his national leaders are the bad guys. That can create interesting contrasts. I think that the best way to do this is to tell a story about one Prussian officer who has everything before the war, and who lives through whole war and sees every horror that is possible for a man to experience, and who in the end loses everything. And through this whole war is a good guy and who tries to do his best, and who is a feared warrior on the battlefield.
22 Sep 2015, 18:27 PM

I would like to see German campaigns on both Eastern and Western fronts. CoH2 has been a huge let-down compared to CoH1 in terms of single player content - both campaigns for me (Soviet and AA) were completely unmemorable and lacking in character/story.

Granted, following CoH1 is a tough gig, but I'd be very happy to at least see a Brit campaign in the future following UKF release. But something more story-driven than AA, that just felt like a bunch of unrelated skirmishes which wasn't very engaging or interesting for me.
22 Sep 2015, 22:35 PM

+1
23 Sep 2015, 07:10 AM

vCoH PE was the exact same and most people thought it was by far the best campaign.
23 Sep 2015, 08:32 AM

I liked the PE campaign in vCoH so it would be fun to play a German campaign in Coh2. Now we have Brits and US so the campaign could be in Italy, defence of Sicily, Gustav Line, Monte Cassino, Gothic Line.
23 Sep 2015, 09:10 AM

When you look at Coh1 Opposing fronts campaigns they where more interesting then Coh2 campaigns and more like on person level two brothers stuck in the total war.

I do not agree with Kyle that German champagne will be controversial. In my opinion they lack ideas and are afraid after Coh2 campaign.

To be honest they cant balance a game after 2 patches and have more bugs.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★