Login

russian armor

How to counter UKF Bofors?

4 Sep 2015, 15:29 PM

P4 takes too much damage, risky or impossible unsupported, only way is keep it braced with in direct fire and use something with high vision to wipe it. I feel against brits both factions have to just bleed them so they cant get tanks and then overwhelm with spearheads of armor once the balance tips.
I guess spotting scopes as ost will help a lot. As OKW I just keep a leig hammering them till my jagdpanzer can come. P4 against brits is risky as they pack a punch and thier at has soo much range.

you right
i try with Pz4 and i lost it:foreveralone:
5 Sep 2015, 11:05 AM

I just played a guy who used it to lockdown the center on one of the new 1v1 maps. It slaughtered a few squads before I could react.

I then left it alone and took the flanks, bombed it a bit with a mortar to little effect (brace). I eventually got it with an attack from a Pz4 and stug so that seems to sort of work. The rounds bounce on the stug armor a lot anyway.
5 Sep 2015, 16:25 PM
Admin Red  Badge

Unless your UKF opponent has not built a mortar emplacement you can mortar barraging it. Then your UKF foe usually activates "Brace" which is the signal to attack with the rest of your forces since Bofors won't be able to shoot due to "Brace" being activated. If you have have a PaK40 or Schrecks (and vet 1 MG42 with incendiary rounds :p ) available it should go down.
6 Sep 2015, 21:18 PM

Unless your UKF opponent has not built a mortar emplacement you can mortar barraging it. Then your UKF foe usually activates "Brace" which is the signal to attack with the rest of your forces since Bofors won't be able to shoot due to "Brace" being activated. If you have have a PaK40 or Schrecks (and vet 1 MG42 with incendiary rounds :p ) available it should go down.

I just reviewed my own latest replay to evaluate.

I had my infantry fire 9 shreks at a mortarpit (with brace) plus some incoming mortar of mine plus small arms fire. Did not kill it before the brace had ceased again.

Same with Bofors. Counted 12 shots from my tiger - point blank range - and the Bofors (with brace) didn't die untill I flanked with shreks. The tiger went to half health btw.

Am I doing something wrong here? It can't be true that an emplacement built of sandbags can resist a tiger for that long?
7 Sep 2015, 02:00 AM
Patrion 14

The best counter to braced structures are flamethrowers, thanks to their DOT. At least, thats what I find.
7 Sep 2015, 04:00 AM

Flame barrage from Mortar halftracks is best. Use Spearhead doctrine.

As OKW, dual Leig guns wreck the emplacements hard.
7 Sep 2015, 07:59 AM

Mortar HT is a doctrinal counter.

I'm looking for non-doctrinal counters so I'm not forced into using a specific commander when I play against the brits (which these days is every game).

As everyone knows, flamer HT and flamer pios are not counters to a Bofors. So which flames are left?
7 Sep 2015, 12:59 PM

Mortar HT is a doctrinal counter.

I'm looking for non-doctrinal counters so I'm not forced into using a specific commander when I play against the brits (which these days is every game).

As everyone knows, flamer HT and flamer pios are not counters to a Bofors. So which flames are left?

they are, force him to use Brace and attack. emplacement take 330% damage vs flame, Brace will not save it from your pio or 251.
8 Sep 2015, 14:47 PM

I just 'found out' that a good, non-doctrinal part of a counter is smoke! Ofc!

It allows you to close in with the anti-emplacement stuff that would otherwise be killed at a long range.
10 Sep 2015, 14:33 PM

i try with Pz4 and i lost it

1V1 tested OstHeer T3 Pz.Kpfw IV, no vet, 100% health, frontal armor facing vs 100% health no vet Bofors, no other crossfire. Killed the Bofors, just. Survived with a silk thread health indicator. In game, could go either way so many factors dependent.

T3 StuG III is preferred if assaulting with direct fire because of its higher hit point frontal armour facing. Still expensive and risky unless in multiples with Bofors unsupported by AT. Although it's tedious, optimal solution I've found so far as OstHeer n00b is indirect fire by mortar/s plugging away. More than one is preferred, or fire and remove to a new location after each sequence if just one (PITA).

10 Sep 2015, 15:03 PM

<snip>Bofors won't be able to shoot due to "Brace" being activated <snip>

Thanks for that tip Theodosios.
10 Sep 2015, 15:04 PM

2 x LEIG support gun is the key.

If he activates the brace ability just get close to use shreks on it.
10 Sep 2015, 15:47 PM

Maybe it's just rng but I have no luck with the half track mortar, I find it highly effective vs mortar pits but on bofors, I must have done about 4 inc barrage + attack ground and the thing was still fine.

I find the best thing to do is force brace on the bofors and then just rush it with flamers.
13 Sep 2015, 19:15 PM

Maybe it's just rng but I have no luck with the half track mortar, I find it highly effective vs mortar pits but on bofors, I must have done about 4 inc barrage + attack ground and the thing was still fine.

I find the best thing to do is force brace on the bofors and then just rush it with flamers.

Did you use the incendiary round? It does a much better job.

In fact all kinds of flames work better than standard fire.
13 Sep 2015, 19:24 PM

Did you use the incendiary round? It does a much better job.

In fact all kinds of flames work better than standard fire.

Yeah I said I did, the incendiary round for me would take out a mortar pit like it was a joke, but the bofors was fine after several rounds and various other attacks.

In the end I just dropped smoke and went it with flamer pios.
14 Sep 2015, 09:37 AM

incendiary barrage if you have a luftwaffe supplies commander:foreveralone:
18 Sep 2015, 22:10 PM

I'm a bit surprised that people are having so much trouble with this thing because for me, unless it's too well supported, the bofors is a joke, not being cocky, it's just on the rounds that my PC doesn't lag out, I consistently kill them. I genuinely look forward to playing against brit opponents because I have their goose pretty well cooked unless they're some kind of coh expert.

Ok first I need to go into my opening build. This WILL NOT WORK in a 1v1 due to lack of infantry in the opening, I mainly play 3v3's and 4v4's and mooch off my teammates opening infantry/mg's.

So my opener is mortar/mortar/gren/gren/gren and send my opening units along with my teammates to one side of the map to overwhelm the enemy team on that side.

I've been doing this opening very consistently because more than half my games are against 4v4 teams with 2 brits on them at minimum. I suspect this would work in 2v2's and 3v3's if you coordinated with your teammate that you were opening with 2 mortars so he would know to protect them and keep the enemy from infiltrating your mortar squads while you got your grens together. Your main goal with a 2 mortar opening is keep your mortars constantly firing while never getting infiltrated by your enemy or receiving damage, I recently lost a round because I left my mortars out in the open as opposed to behind a hedgerow.

Basically the 2 mortar opening hard-counters the vickers, and is great to get the upper hand early on in the initial infantry battles, it's like dropping a grenade on the enemy troops every 4 seconds and makes their own cover work against them since if I'm not mistaken I think mortars may actually do more damage if the unit is in cover and it hits in the right spot.

After my 3rd gren, I'm at a minor crossroads. WIth the recent nerf to the reinforcing ability of the flame half-track, sometimes I do a small forward base with a forward heal bunker and forward reinforce bunker side by side in a safe spot behind a building or hedgerow to keep my armies on the field and maintain field presence and keep the pressure on the enemy throughout early-mid game.

The other thing I'll do is I'll get a flame half-track to bolster my Anti-Infantry. But if I need to start worrying about say early Armored cars, or tanks and such because my enemy is getting good fuel income and I know it, I bolster my Anti-tank abilities with 2 pgren schreck squads. Spending your munitions correctly is very crucial, I hold off on the Gren upgrades until last.

As for the Bofors that is popping up somewhere between my flame halftrack and 2nd Pgren squad, there are several non-doctrinal counters I have in mind that I use and one I just thought up after reading this thread, but they all revolve around the mortar for me seeing as how stug's, P4 and the Panther's maingun is more of a soft counter than a hard counter to a Bofors.

Assuming it's not supported by a mortar pit which complicates things since the mortar pit hard counters your mortars, you just keep rapid-fire dropping mortars on it until it dies from my pair of mortars. 1 mortar is not enough, but 2 will get the job done.

If you need further destructive power against the bofors because he's actively repairing it while you drop mortars on him while he braces the structure not I just thought of this clever strategy. You can drop some smoke rounds in front of the Bofors, so it will not be able to get a line of sight on your units, THEN You can send a flame pioneer and your flame halftrack up right after that and click attack-ground and together they will burn the bofors through the smoke that is blocking it from firing back at you. I haven't tested this, but I did successfully damage a bofors using attack-ground through a small hill that it could not see or fire through, so I think my smoke in front of it with the mortars would work.

You might also send the Pgrens in to get a few schreck shots off using attack ground and through the smoke, but be careful to not let them get squad wiped.

Anyways these are some of the ways I've been handling the bofors as of late, really hasn't caused much of a problem for me so I was wondering if there was a patch that came out between the start of this thread and now where bofors were much more invincible than they are currently.

BTW I hate the spearhead doctrine, I just don't like it so it's not even in my lineup and I like saving my muni's for more permanent weapons rather than one shot incendiary rounds that don't always kill what it is you're trying to kill.
22 Sep 2015, 13:41 PM

The plan is to build 2 mortar teams and mortar it to death.
28 Sep 2015, 01:28 AM

Here is what has worked for me.

Pak40 - attack ground. spotter recommended.
Pak43 - attack ground. spotter recommended.
puma - attack ground. spotter recommended.
Elefant - attack ground. spotter recommended.
spotting scopes.
Hull down.
Incendiary rounds
Dual motors.
Massive blob.
3 Oct 2015, 03:32 AM

When the structure braces itself, it can't shoot. Forcing it to brace itself allows you to get in close and drive off his supporting units.

You can also smoke it with the mortar then get your infantry in close and toss grenades inside.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★