Login

russian armor

First Review British Forces

27 Aug 2015, 03:21 AM

27 Aug 2015, 03:25 AM

The Churchill is essentially a Leman Russ.
27 Aug 2015, 03:44 AM

wow, that's a lot of HP (1400-1000). That makes more sense.

I dont think they changed it... But in the alpha, it wasnt disappointing, at least for me. I really dont know if they changed it (the 40 minute video of brits strongly suggests its still very similar as before, the single raketen was barely denting its hp), but it had 280 frontal armor and... Someone said 1400 health in the alpha, but it sure is over 1000 hp. Oddly comet has 290... These WERE the stats before, or at least the ones i just believed as churchills did survive ass-poundings and my comet bounced pak40+ raketen in a row at close range...

Dont quote me on this as it was pretty hard to discuss stats on Alpha forums without having someone who knew how to access them in the discussion. But its more appealling than the kv-1. We'll see Monday.
27 Aug 2015, 06:43 AM

The Churchill is essentially a Leman Russ.

More like a Land Raider.
27 Aug 2015, 07:08 AM

i hope the brits will be fun cuz I'm sure in hell aint playing the axis
27 Aug 2015, 07:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2015, 06:43 AMRMMLz

More like a Land Raider.

With a Rhino firepower sadly.

Churchill+FF combo?

I'd rather have a pair of Comets who do exactly the same and you don't need extra micro tax and they are actually fast and durable.

Only price is the argument, because performance belongs to Comets.

Churchill MK.VII was so bad against, well, anything-its a pure damage sponge that can't even kill medium, it will scare it away, but can't kill it.
27 Aug 2015, 07:20 AM
Developer Relic Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2015, 07:15 AMKatitof

Churchill MK.VII was so bad against, well, anything-its a pure damage sponge that can't even kill medium, it will scare it away, but can't kill it.

I remember the Churchill actually doing decently against medium tanks. Pretty sure it had the same gun as the Cromwell in terms of stats and that wasn't exactly a bad gun. I saw many squads get pretty hurt from it as well so it's not like the vCoH Churchill which was pretty much just a damage sponge/anti-light vehicle.
27 Aug 2015, 07:26 AM

I remember the Churchill actually doing decently against medium tanks. Pretty sure it had the same gun as the Cromwell in terms of stats and that wasn't exactly a bad gun. I saw many squads get pretty hurt from it as well so it's not like the vCoH Churchill which was pretty much just a damage sponge/anti-light vehicle.

Speed of Churchill pretty much guarantees the escape of... well... anything short of super heavies when it shoots at them and I'm not sure if upgraded JT isn't faster then Churchill.

For the cost, Churchills firepower for me was a huge disappointment and a direct reason why I won't ever go for anvil unless its for gameplay variety, which I need to sustain myself.
27 Aug 2015, 07:56 AM
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2015, 07:26 AMKatitof

Speed of Churchill pretty much guarantees the escape of... well... anything short of super heavies when it shoots at them and I'm not sure if upgraded JT isn't faster then Churchill.

For the cost, Churchills firepower for me was a huge disappointment and a direct reason why I won't ever go for anvil unless its for gameplay variety, which I need to sustain myself.

damn Katitof you are so :sibToxic: &

they are not that bad :nahnah:
27 Aug 2015, 08:07 AM

I'm not saying they are bad, I'm just saying they are disappointing :foreveralone:
And I'm twice as disappointed because of this as I was really looking forward to this model ever since we got first hints of brits coming. :foreveralone:

It makes KV-1 look great, especially if we talk main gun accuracy.
27 Aug 2015, 08:37 AM

i hope the brits will be fun cuz I'm sure in hell aint playing the axis
Yes, Germans are evil to the bone. :luvDerp:
27 Aug 2015, 08:40 AM

The Churchill is more specialized in its role than the KV1. The KV is sort of like a tougher generalist tank, while the Church can take a staggering amount of punishment. It's too slow to chase most stuff down as Kat has been saying. It had more HP than some heavy tanks from memory? Not as much armor as I thought but the point isn't to deflect, it's to absorb (design wise). But honestly it could be the other way around by the time the game comes out, who knows.

If it does ship roughly in that line though, you could say the Church is much better in the defensive role to protect other tanks and units by staying in front, but worse outside of it. It's roughly similar cost to the KV1 from the official materials, 5 fuel more I think?
27 Aug 2015, 08:47 AM

The Churchill is more specialized in its role than the KV1. The KV is sort of like a tougher generalist tank, while the Church can take a staggering amount of punishment. It's too slow to chase most stuff down as Kat has been saying. It had more HP than some heavy tanks from memory? Not as much armor as I thought but the point isn't to deflect, it's to absorb (design wise). But honestly it could be the other way around by the time the game comes out, who knows.

If it does ship roughly in that line though, you could say the Church is much better in the defensive role to protect other tanks and units by staying in front, but worse outside of it. It's roughly similar cost to the KV1 from the official materials, 5 fuel more I think?
I´m very interested in the Churchill. An Allied heavy tank more is going to be fun - even from the Axis perspective. It´s not like Ostheer doesn´t have a buffed StuG since the last patch. StuGs might become more viable again. Right now I´m still stuck in the Pak40 + Panzer IV meta.
27 Aug 2015, 09:04 AM

Or, you know, you can just ignore it and focus on real threats.
Its gun is rather ineffective against infantry.
It bounces regularly on P4, its struggles to chase away command P4 before forcing it to retreat.
Its not mobile enough to "body block" other vehicles from passing by or to keep AT infantry moving and unable to shoot, the smoke is pretty much useless gimmick since shooting with MG42 at the church will suppress all infantry advancing in the smoke and decreased mobility prevents the optimal use of the smoke in both, offensive and defensive way.

So outside of soaking initial AT barrage its no good for anything and its speed means it needs to start retreating at about 70% or it simply won't make it out. Single StuG is all you need to hardcounter it, pair of them means you'll never be able to leave 17-pounder vicinity.

For the cost its not bad, but as a unit, well, I don't see a single reason to get churchil over comet.
27 Aug 2015, 09:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2015, 09:04 AMKatitof
For the cost its not bad, but as a unit, well, I don't see a single reason to get churchil over comet.
The increased repair speed that comes with "anvil" sounds decent though. In theory that should create a good synergy with the Churchill.
27 Aug 2015, 09:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2015, 09:20 AMButcher
The increased repair speed that comes with "anvil" sounds decent though. In theory that should create a good synergy with the Churchill.

In practice, increased churchil HP poll ensures its a mandatory upgrade for at least 1 RE.
Without it, well, have fun repairing anything with over 1240 hp without vetted sturmpios wraithbone repair kits.

And upgrading all CEs to repair faster will force you into sim city as they aren't mobile at all and can't even dodge nades.

I can't see anvil working, never seen anyone on alpha using it, never had success with it myself.
Its all about hammer and actually useful stuff.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS