Login

russian armor

USF vs OKW

11 Aug 2015, 04:59 AM

What strategy could I possibly do to counter 2 Ober in Automatch? My teammate and I are Soviet and USF(Me) and we are perfectly fine when it comes to 1 Ober and 1 Wehrmacht or even 2 Wehrmacht but with 2 Ober we can't seem to handle it. My strategy is using Rifle Company and cranking out 3 or 4 Riflemen and not knowing when to go Captain or not because they usually spam Volks with Shrecks anyway. My problem is that I cannot counter them with anything. I get riflemen with bazookas to counter the Flaktrack and it pins me instantly and takes half my squad, but if I'm able to even shoot the zooks, 70% of the shots completely miss him and I end up retreating due to heavy loss. Its only 2 specific players that we have played against a few times and they both mirror each others strategies, but we cannot beat them. What would be a successful opening against Oberkommando as USF?
11 Aug 2015, 09:22 AM

I need to know this too, I can not beat Obers at all (I play 1v1). I just had a game where as soon as i engaged them they bled my units dry in seconds, litterally can't even get a shot off before needing to retreat.

If im forced to go a certain doctrine, JUST to beat a stock unit, then that's broken as garden.
11 Aug 2015, 09:53 AM

Vs Obers, LMG equipped REs do the job, without using commander specific goodies. Pack Howie may also be a nice choice depending on scenario.

You also have the Sherman and HMC.

The only OKW things I always struggle with are Fusilier spam, JLI spam, and fast P4.
11 Aug 2015, 10:24 AM

Not a pro of 2vs2 but you should combine your strength with your mate, if you go heavy rifles, he is going T2 and and whatever his BO is, putting an early Zis in it.
Bazookas don't counter well the flak-truk, unless you have good covers. What you need to do is using your zooks as a defensive scarecrow until he does a wrong path.

In 1vs1, lately vs OKW I play really aggressively 4/5 rifles to cpt + Atgun + stuart and focus his building. Objective is to kill his T1/T2 before he get too strong. That a bit of a all-in when I'm ready, I let him cap all the map if he wants to but I move everything, ambulance included to get his building down.
Its fun to play :D
11 Aug 2015, 17:00 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Counter obers with a vehicle or artillery, not infantry, and counter folk spam with LMG rifle/paras or 50 cal

If they're blobbing it all then arty and back capping is your friend

11 Aug 2015, 17:46 PM

Get a couple of scots, they will melt away all OKW infantry, also use smoke to screen your approach to the obers to you can start to fight at point blank
11 Aug 2015, 17:58 PM

I wouldn't recommend using Rifle Zooks to counter Flak Track. Safer to go Captain and get an AT Gun or even the Stuart can work if AT isn't lurking around. If you went Lt and got surprised you want to smoke and then close for a fast zook volley and/or Rifle Grenades. You want to catch him fast in 1 or 2 volleys before he can react. Keep in mind that if you see Flak Track then you know that he's set behind on fuel and you can use that to your advantage.

Obers were covered well above; the cheaper Pack Howie is your friend. Obers are really expensive and slow to reinforce so the more you can kill with indirect fire and vehicles the more you come out ahead in the MP war.
11 Aug 2015, 18:40 PM

One of the games we played showed the heavy use of JLI against both of us mixed with lots of MG34s so we ended up losing a lot of ground and surrendering. Then the other one was on Crossing in the Woods. Both Obers opened up with 2 sturms and a volks but the one on my side ended up making a Raketen to destroy my fighting position holding the VP. Then after pushing them constantly, they managed to get a Flaktrack when I accidentally went LT instead of Capt and my only option was Zooks which didn't work out. Soon enough my teammate had a Flaktrack on his side too and Falsch were being deployed out of houses to surprise attack me all within 10 minutes. We ended up surrendering again. These were the same people we played before and they used a different strategy and managed to get us yet again. Should I maybe go Infantry company and make heavy use of the M1919 and a mortar against him?
11 Aug 2015, 19:17 PM

Absolutely not. The Mortar HT is a waste of fuel.

Vs OKW players that don't build the Kubel, it's completely possible to win in 5 minutes with really good Rifle play. It seems to me that your getting psyched out by the elite OKW troops; don't.

As long as you can the first Sherman out before his first tank, you should be able do massive MP damage and start pushing them back to their forward base. Just get one Sherman, keep him alive, get a second, preserve, a third/Jackson, keep on killing.

USF vs OKW is really reliant (more so than USF vs Ost) on being good with Rifle and Sherman/Jackson micro, there isn't much strategy or other synergies to worry about. You can win using lots of strata, but this matchup at its core is always about Riflemen and tanks. It's mainly learning the maps and how to get the most out of Sherman's without losing them, which I recommend replays for.

To answer your question: go Infantry Company if you think he's going on an infantry reliant strategy. (BHQ, no Kubel.) If he's going mech first, Airborne might be worth it for pathfinder snipes on wounded models, and scouting for Flaktracks.

11 Aug 2015, 19:34 PM

They usually do go Kubel because let's face it, if they can't suppress me early on, I'll walk all over them with my riflemen.
11 Aug 2015, 19:37 PM

RE troops do more damage to Kubels than Rifleman, really only good BO advice for that IMO.
11 Aug 2015, 20:26 PM

The one thing that I found really helps against OKW is keeping in mind the accuracy penalty for moving infantry. Strumpios have great wipe potential but if you keep your Rifles standing still (preferable in cover) while the Strumpios close in then you have a much better chance of winning a 1vs1 fight at the start since the OKW squad has the Accuracy penalty. This helps with finishing retreating squads too. IE don't chase after the squad. Semi Auto Rifles (Rifleman, G43, Penals) have better moving Accuracy I do believe and you can use this to your advantage as well.

Against KubalJesus I'll sometimes make use of Rifle Company and go Rifle, Rifle, Vet. Rifle. general idea is to use the first two to cap and then once you bump into the Kubal use the Vet Rifle's AT Grenade to finish him quickly before he knows you have a Vet Rifle already. Against OKW I usually always have a buddy system where a 2nd Rifle/RE is always within flanking distance.
12 Aug 2015, 02:26 AM

Swarm with numbers early, especially vs the Kubel. 2-3 RE's is a really good BO now backed up with however many riflemen you want. If you're using Armor Company, LT for the .50/M20 if you're so inclined and then Captain for AT. I wouldn't even bother with Major because you have M10's/105mm. The pack howitzer works well in tandem with the .50 cal, especially since OKW really has no counter to suppression.
My 2 cents.
12 Aug 2015, 02:40 AM

13 Aug 2015, 05:20 AM

I feel like I lose every time I pick LT. It's like completely useless because the .50 is terrible compared to all other HMGs, I never use the M20 and the Flaktrack gets destroyed all the time by everything. I'm just gonna wait till UKF comes out and play as them.
13 Aug 2015, 10:49 AM

I feel like I lose every time I pick LT. It's like completely useless because the .50 is terrible compared to all other HMGs, I never use the M20 and the Flaktrack gets destroyed all the time by everything. I'm just gonna wait till UKF comes out and play as them.

.50 cal is awful, I saw it go toe to toe against the axis MG when both were in buildings, the axis mg just couldn't kill any models but the .50 cal was dropping them.

Problem is, that's it, it doesn't even pin unless they are looking down the barrel and even then it takes 5 hours so the weapon can't be used like a normal HMG to be effective, it has to be used at the front with your attacking forces to suppress the enemy but it needs babysitting like a suicidal toddler at all times.

Going M20 against OKW is not something I recommend, the zook crew is useful against the Puma and (I hear) that the axis AA HT cant shoot if the M20 gets really close to it, but again, far too much micro for any gain. You are better off going CPT and following the Stuart around with the CPT in case you run into a puma.

Don't get me wrong, I love the M20's mines but to make it work against OKW you have to place a mine down where you know there vehicles will chase you, if you can pull that off then you bought yourself a fair bit of time to roll around in the M20, about 20 seconds before the shreck squad arrives :P

Think of the LT as a domination option only, if you had all the map by the 4 min mark, tech LT and get an AAHT + MG then CPT + Stuart, but only if you know there wont be any threat due to your map control.

I had a game once with the M20, AAHT and a Stuart, that was micro hell but thankfully, he surrendered after he realised there was no way he was getting past it.

But alas, I know what's good and when, but against OKW lately with dual ISG's, Obernators+LMG's and ninjas in buildings against my poor rifles, I have had little to no success against OKW players.
13 Aug 2015, 15:02 PM

LT tier has better synergy with Jacksons and HMCs. M20 scouts for Jacksons, lays smoke for them, and plants mines to protect them. The .50 cal holds ground, and the AA Track is a situational thing for applying lots of pressure.

IMO the Captain works better with Rifle centric builds because the Captain synergizes better with Riflemen, and the Stuart compliments rifles well. AT guns help, too.

If you go RE centric though the LT definetly has its merits. BAR REs backed by .50 cals and Pathfinders are a nice anti-infantry core. It's also more cost effective than standard 4 Rifles.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS