Login

russian armor

Revisit the ISU-152 changes?

2 Aug 2015, 14:29 PM

My opinion is it should not be anti-everything unit. Want to kill tanks? Load Ap. Want to kill inf? Load HE. Fair enough.

ISU in good spot and does not need any buffs.

This. And people complaining about manual round switching. Learn how to use hotkeys...
2 Aug 2015, 14:29 PM

• Hitting little rocks or ground is a big problem for isu152, so If relic fix it, isu152 will be fine, right now it's meh.
2 Aug 2015, 15:29 PM

It may be powerful, but very, very often shells cannot reach infantry because they end up in the ground somewhere in the middle. Not saying it's a problem - just saying it's not alaways possible to use it efficiently on each map.

Countering it as Ostheer? Many ways to go...

Elephnat (2 great doctrines), Pak43 (at least 1 very useful), CAS, Lightning - all work quite good agasint it.

You can even try Panther/Stugs with sandbags since they increase range.

The ISU not being usefull on certain maps strikes me as fine, seeing as most units aren't usefull on every map.

Pak43 gets hardcountered by both ISU's commanders with 1 simple click (yee for great commander design) CAS (as in, the commander) gets hardcountered by ISU with micro, whislt panther and stugs with sandbags.... well at guns exist for a reason.

Only elephant/JT can fight ISU on a semi-even terms and even then it takes a wopping 27 seconds of continuous fire from the ele/JT to kill the ISU.
Plenty of time to gtfo.

Without those units, ISU still wins games with a little at support.

Don't buff it, it's fine.
2 Aug 2015, 19:19 PM

Considering if you don't have an Elefant or a Jadgtiger (the only 2 100% effective ISU counters) the ISU can seriously ruin your day I'm going to say it's fine. Normally if my enemy goes for one I always make sure to have an elefant or jadg. The best non-doc counter is the JPIV.

Does anyone know how you counter it as Ostheer? Because the 50 range on the StuG makes getting to it to hit it hard.

Panther hard counters it(deflects AP rounds)also the ISU 152 has long reload and still is not laser accurate,it also costs the same a king tiger.
2 Aug 2015, 19:26 PM

ISU would be fine if the shells would stop hitting little bumps in the geography

The issue with hitting geography in front of it is a issue literally every tank (especially fixed gun tanks) have.
2 Aug 2015, 19:36 PM

I'd Like to point out that the 152's ability to fire the concrete piercing round is a 'attack ground/region' ability, meaning it WILL miss a lot. Because the vehicle is not aiming at a 'target' the shell can be intercepted by debris/ foliage/ terrain more easily. I would like this to be looked at, seeing as I pay 70 iirc? munitions for the shell to fail miserably. On the other hand the Jgd Tigers ability is a timed ability meaning it is actually 'targeting' vehicles meaning its more likely to hit as it takes into account target size... just saying.

One way this could be fixed is to give the ISU's special shell the ability to 'phase' through objects and for the attack ground style ability to have a smaller spread radius
2 Aug 2015, 19:39 PM

Hi,

So as many of you probably feel, it was a huge relief when Relic finally nerfed the ISU-152 by giving its gun switchable ammunition like the Sherman. Previously you'd lose infantry and tanks alike in chasing it down, with no real input required by the player that owned it. This was especially the case when several were on the field.

The only thing that bugs me about the change is that it's deeply unsatisfying when the giant HE shells do absolutely nothing to enemy tanks. Obviously that was largely the point, but unlike the Sherman where the shell size is small enough that it makes sense for nothing to happen, the ISU-152 is such a powerful unit that you expect something to happen. I was personally thinking at least some minor damage, if not a very high rate of temporary crits like crew shock (and maybe a small number of special damage crits that require repair). The change of shell takes long enough that you'd still have a chance to escape most of the time.

Now that heavy call-ins have been restricted to one at a time, I feel like this unit has been further nerfed indirectly, and I'm curious as to how you would feel about buffing it somewhat again, either by the above suggestion, or simply restoring it to its historical role of one amazing HE/armour-piercing round, but perhaps with slower reload that actually reflects the weight of such a shell (something like a lighter but long-range version of the sturmtiger).

Thoughts?

Edit: Whipped up a quick issue tracker card here if you're interested. That whole board is looking a lot more manageable after the recent patches.

The Only problem i see with the ISU-152 is the perfomance ofthe AP rounds,they dont do enough damage and dont always penetrate.if the damage and the pen are buffed then the ISU-152 would be ok and a reliable unit to use,right now it loses to panthers and stugs and is only good VS infantry.
2 Aug 2015, 19:42 PM

Its fine where it is lol

I went from top 200 2v2 ost to top 2000 during the dark ages of the 152 wonderweapon.

I almost came out of that patch with PTSD

Lets not go back there...
4 Aug 2015, 11:26 AM

Well, after being on the receiving end of an ISU in a 1v1 today, I think I'm coming down fairly strongly on the "doesn't need to be touched" side :p My poor, poor infantry!
4 Aug 2015, 11:31 AM

My opinion is it should not be anti-everything unit. Want to kill tanks? Load Ap. Want to kill inf? Load HE. Fair enough.

ISU in good spot and does not need any buffs.

Yeah just like the KT is right? :foreveralone:
4 Aug 2015, 11:49 AM

Easy up turbo. Whether the unit is balanced or not is the discussion here. Historical basis simply informs balance by giving the unit context. At any rate, yes, it absolutely should be supported. It's a long range unit, after all. The question is more whether it's a useful unit in its own right.

Your opinion seems to be that it should only be considered an anti-infantry unit, which is a valid perspective. That doesn't change the issue of whether the HE shells should have some effect on tanks though.

This is meant to be a discussion, not a flame thread. Please refrain from needless aggression.

His opinion was clearly that it should not have AP abilities while HE is loaded. Not that it should be only AI as you wrongly concluded.

I agree with him, there's no reason it should be able to hurt tanks with HE considering it can still wipe full health squads with spread out models at long range.

The limit to 1 at a time does not change anything. Back before any changes, 1 was always enough to ruin gameplay by deleting full squads and causing heavy damage to tanks.

I strongly feel your ideas is bad and pray it is not considered.
4 Aug 2015, 15:22 PM

Yeah just like the KT is right? :foreveralone:

Single su76 can kill kt if it have a spotter.
4 Aug 2015, 15:29 PM

ISU should Stun with HE like TOW but withoit damage, with this HE can support other tank destroyers by debuffing enemy tanks, but making it an all-for-one heavy tank doesnt looks like the best idea. IMO, its a direct fire arty without barrage cold down
4 Aug 2015, 15:57 PM

Single su76 can kill kt if it have a spotter.

Sure, still doesn't justify that a KT can kill anything with one type of round but an ISU 152 should't be able to.
4 Aug 2015, 16:36 PM

Sure, still doesn't justify that a KT can kill anything with one type of round but an ISU 152 should't be able to.

Give kt 70 range with ability to spot for itself and we have a deal.
4 Aug 2015, 18:54 PM

Give kt 70 range with ability to spot for itself and we have a deal.

I forgot about that little detail, I yield.
4 Aug 2015, 19:02 PM

Kt is the most overpriced heavy tank with armor that can be penetrated by most AT, even an SU-76.

ISU-152 is fine, now its isn't a self-spotting A-moving insta-wipe super tank. It's still deadly, just L2Useit.
4 Aug 2015, 19:04 PM

man i really have to go mobile defense every game as ost don't I? it is my curse/blessing.

its best doctrine now either due quad meta and suchka meta , buth can be easily countered by twp of puma and flanking if you are able to hold their numbers low (but i think you all know this and thats why you go always this gr8 doctrine)

Also flanking panzer iv can do the job fairy well becuase if is152 turn around you can hit it with stugs easily
4 Aug 2015, 21:20 PM

Kt is the most overpriced heavy tank with armor that can be penetrated by most AT, even an SU-76.

ISU-152 is fine, now its isn't a self-spotting A-moving insta-wipe super tank. It's still deadly, just L2Useit.

as much as i hate the king tiger nerf UNLESS YOU HAVE 3+ AT UNITS you wont take it out UNLIKE THE ISU-152 which cant penetrate the panther with dam AP rounds.
4 Aug 2015, 21:31 PM

all this talking about heavy tanks...guys there is more armor in this game, but it seems to me people only play this game to get 1 heavy tank, nothing more and expect this tank to win the game by itself...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 36

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight