Login

russian armor

Dev Diary pt1: UKF - From History to Gameplay

20 Jul 2015, 18:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jul 2015, 16:31 PMJadame!
Cant wait to build some 17 pounders to feed axis with taste of their own paks 43.

That´s what I´m really afraid of as playing Ostheer. But fancy this idea when playing U.S. Forces. Double-edged sword. ;)
20 Jul 2015, 18:28 PM

Barton, Avny, this is a videogame..."authenticity", to whatever degree this can be realised in the first place, should not exactly be at the forefront of priorities.

Well... yeah! That was my point.

"historical" arguments need to cut both ways, as should "balance" arguments. You don't get to pick and choose one or the other depending on the argument you want to make.
20 Jul 2015, 18:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jul 2015, 17:38 PMAvNY

Likewise there were only 3 engagements ever recorded in which the US faced Tiger I's, so should they be banned from Ost when facing USF?

If the war had gone on the new Allied tech would have faced and overmatched the Germans. They just happened to defeat them pretty quickly without the advanced tech (of course in reality Allied late game was much more powerful than Axis late game).

20 Jul 2015, 18:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jul 2015, 18:28 PMAvNY

Well... yeah! That was my point.

"historical" arguments need to cut both ways, as should "balance" arguments. You don't get to pick and choose one or the other depending on the argument you want to make.

Well, maybe I misunderstood you there, but my point was actually that historical arguments shoud cut neither way and have to be entirely detached from balance considerations if you want to make a properly balanced, competitive videogame. ;)

In retrospect it is strikingly obvious that the Germans were doomed to defeat, but that does not make for a entertaining gameplay experience.
20 Jul 2015, 18:45 PM

Oh you are totally right. Those early jets and maus would have been totally useful vs an atom bomb/s

Let's be honest, if the war had lasted longer, the only difference would be that there would be a few less German cities on the map.
20 Jul 2015, 18:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jul 2015, 16:25 PMPorygon

Mortar emplacement taking 38 Panther shots before death. :snfPeter:

please don't tell me this is true ...
20 Jul 2015, 18:48 PM
Senior Editor Badge

:snfPeter:
20 Jul 2015, 18:54 PM
Patrion 28

Brace yourself for NDA warnings!
20 Jul 2015, 18:57 PM

In the sweet words of the virgin Mary: What the fuck?
20 Jul 2015, 18:58 PM

Oh you are totally right. Those early jets and maus would have been totally useful vs an atom bomb/s

Let's be honest, if the war had lasted longer, the only difference would be that there would be a few less German cities on the map.

ohh jeez... you also deserve facepalm image :snfBarton:
20 Jul 2015, 19:01 PM

Ah yes, turning half of europe into radioactive rubble and poisoning the water supply sounds like a grand idea.

Although funny enough America did come pretty close to nuking the USSR because idiots like Patton and Churchill were allowed to continue to be in charge of things when they should have been locked in a storage container when the war was done.
20 Jul 2015, 19:23 PM

Ah yes, turning half of europe into radioactive rubble and poisoning the water supply sounds like a grand idea.

that didn't stop them them in Japan
20 Jul 2015, 19:35 PM

that didn't stop them them in Japan

Japan is an Island surrounded by water and at the time of WW2 was nowhere near as dense as Western Europe was.
20 Jul 2015, 20:15 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Guys no.

Please.

Stop.
20 Jul 2015, 20:17 PM

I was reading some stuff by an nuke disarmament group a while back that cited a study which estimated that a full scale WW3 exchange would only produce a further 50k casualties worldwide from radiation effects. Radiation is nasty stuff but also exaggerated.
20 Jul 2015, 20:22 PM
Benefactor 115

I have to say that these videos do a better job at selling the game than those piss poor pc gamer, eurogamer etc. articles that are poorly written by a guy who clearly doesn't give two shits about the game.

I know those sites draw massive traffic but I believe they would be better off just putting these videos out instead.
20 Jul 2015, 20:44 PM

most maps are in Holland, and still brits have Comet that never fought there and barely had seen fight in Germany, makes sense, why don't Germans get Maus's or E-series tanks :snfBarton:
actually there were only like one or two maps set in holland, most were set in germany
20 Jul 2015, 20:45 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

I have to say that these videos do a better job at selling the game than those piss poor pc gamer, eurogamer etc. articles that are poorly written by a guy who clearly doesn't give two shits about the game.

I know those sites draw massive traffic but I believe they would be better off just putting these videos out instead.

I agree
21 Jul 2015, 03:14 AM

most maps are in Holland, and still brits have Comet that never fought there and barely had seen fight in Germany, makes sense, why don't Germans get Maus's or E-series tanks :snfBarton:

Are they? What's your source? There are definitely maps in Germany so I don't know why you'd complain about Comet. Like oh my god there's a Stalingrad map in VCoh2, Ostheer and Soviets both have later war stuff! Let's whine about that.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Mexico 24
United Kingdom 133
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak