Login

russian armor

LeFH Counter Battery

12 Jul 2015, 00:42 AM

Hi all,

I've heard mostly negative things about the Ostheer howitzer, and my own experience with it has been fairly awful - I build it if I'm winning by a bit, and after I build it, the game tends to get a lot more even , with the emplacement soaking up lots of MP and usually hitting literally nothing at all. But I'm really intrigued by the counter battery ability. I feel like this could have good results versus soviet mortars and Katusyhas. But I can't test this myself because my LeFHs usually don't hit enough to get vet 1.

If you get the damn thing vetted, can it reliably knock out Katusyhas and 120mm mortar squads? Or at least disrupt them?
12 Jul 2015, 01:08 AM

I've never used the ability personally, but the general opinion I've noticed on the forum is that counter battery is very effective.
That said, even when I'm facing the leFH105 I still go: "meh". That's not a good sign.
12 Jul 2015, 01:09 AM

The LefH Counter Battery has a long cool down it shares with the main barrage, meaning that if your enemy has the sense to move their artillery (all the best artillery in the game is mobile) then it's a waste.

Only time were it really shines is on maps like Sittard.
12 Jul 2015, 02:46 AM

counterbattery is one of the best ways to counter mortars. its not as good vs katyushas since katys basically just dump their payload relatively quickly and can move out. generally its better for you to just manually select targets with your barrage, counter-barrage just kind of makes it hands free, but it can also target ZiS guns that are barraging, scots and such which would be a waste to barrage since theyre so mobile.
12 Jul 2015, 03:18 AM

105mm only work great for me on the map it sit at my base and can fire at enemy base and i barrage the HQ ever time they have something to retreat
12 Jul 2015, 03:46 AM

counterbattery is one of the best ways to counter mortars. its not as good vs katyushas since katys basically just dump their payload relatively quickly and can move out. generally its better for you to just manually select targets with your barrage, counter-barrage just kind of makes it hands free, but it can also target ZiS guns that are barraging, scots and such which would be a waste to barrage since theyre so mobile.

So you would recommend building it though, Lemon? Will it counter enemy mortars better than the regular Ostheer mortar?

12 Jul 2015, 03:49 AM

So you would recommend building it though, Lemon? Will it counter enemy mortars better than the regular Ostheer mortar?

only against 120mm, it is better than regular mortar as it can actually reach it
12 Jul 2015, 04:01 AM

i like building it. it only costs manpower (albeit a lot) and its good in certain situations. if youre having trouble against allied mortars, or weapon teams in general, it performs quite well in the role of brekaing up positions for your infantry. you can also get some squad wipes if youre lucky by shooting at their base when they retreat.
12 Jul 2015, 07:37 AM

problem being, unless you're handy with stock units, you can end up pigeon holed in some doctrines that don't leave you with much flexibility or any safety nets.
12 Jul 2015, 08:29 AM

Recently I used it on 2v2 Eidhoven agaisnt 120 and ML-20.
Counter barrage all the time, just once or twice I switched to barrage when I saw mass retreat.

With counter barrage I was able to competly deny ML20; as for 120, I wiped 3 of them.

When the game was finished, my LeFH had 39 kills (27 from counter barrage).

It's not bad but the point is, there are many better doctrines.

SU doctrines with ML-20 are way more useful than the ones with LeFH.
12 Jul 2015, 09:05 AM

Counter barrage with the leFH is an excellent way to destroy katyushas. Katyushas are big targets and a single direct hit will take them out. The advantage of counter barrage is that it starts to work the moment the enemy uses a barrage, so your shells will be landing before he has fired all of his rockets.

To get your leFH to vet1, try using it to support your troops in combat; your targets won't be moving a lot and will not be at max range.
12 Jul 2015, 11:05 AM

The Precision shot on the ML-20 is a much easier way of denying enemy artillery since you KNOW it will kill whatever it hits and it always hits were you point it.

EDIT: What the LefH needs is just a much nicer ROF (as in much more shells fired per barrage) the damage on it is fairly low, so it should compensate by firing more shells.
12 Jul 2015, 11:21 AM

Actually Alex, the precision strike does NOT kill the Stuka. Very frustrating that I couldn't punish bad users who didn't move it after firing.
12 Jul 2015, 11:26 AM

When the game was finished, my LeFH had 39 kills (27 from counter barrage)..

So, you want to say, that GrW 34 is better, right? :D
12 Jul 2015, 11:30 AM
Patrion 14

The lefh needs a buff, but I do not think counter barrage really needs one. The lefh as a stock unit should either shoot significantly more or shoot more accurately than the soviet m20 howitzer, to compensate for its lighter role.

If anything is needed for it, counterbarrage needs to be returned to its old state so that it has no cooldown, making it more punishing on artillery blobfests. Currently I only really use counterbarrages (and the lefh) on maps like cancertard.
12 Jul 2015, 11:48 AM

So, you want to say, that GrW 34 is better, right? :D

Im nie sure what grw has to do with this thread but still its best mortar in game.
12 Jul 2015, 11:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jul 2015, 11:21 AMboc120
Actually Alex, the precision strike does NOT kill the Stuka. Very frustrating that I couldn't punish bad users who didn't move it after firing.

It leaves the Stuka with 20 health left, as the precision shot does 300 damage and the Stuka has 320. :)

Im nie sure what grw has to do with this thread but still its best mortar in game.

His point is that the GrW 34 as a 240 MP mortar will probably get you more kills and success on average in games than a LefH 105mm howitzer will.

The lefh needs a buff, but I do not think counter barrage really needs one. The lefh as a stock unit should either shoot significantly more or shoot more accurately than the soviet m20 howitzer, to compensate for its lighter role.

This is the best solution in my opinion, Ostheer has no lack for accurate Artillery (see the Pwerfer which needs a buff of it's own) what Ostheer needs is area denial artillery which comes from being able to fire lots of shells.
12 Jul 2015, 11:58 AM

Could we not just ramp up the rate of fire on the normal barrage if you want to buff it? Animations might look a bit funky but it could do with some little extra.
12 Jul 2015, 12:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jul 2015, 11:58 AMSwift
Could we not just ramp up the rate of fire on the normal barrage if you want to buff it? Animations might look a bit funky but it could do with some little extra.

Well the LefH isn't one of those buffs were just firing the shells it already does faster won't save it.

The lefH weakness's are as follows:

-Low damage

-High scatter

-High MP cost in a extremely MP intensive faction

-Long cooldown

Making it so it fires a lot more shells compensates for the high scatter and low damage as well as the cooldown.
12 Jul 2015, 12:54 PM

His point is that the GrW 34 as a 240 MP mortar will probably get you more kills and success on average in games than a LefH 105mm howit

When was the last time you wiped ml20 or killed katy with grw?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★