Login

russian armor

Me + Hissy Soviet strat

9 Jun 2013, 06:06 AM

We did this for about a 5-6 hour run today without losing a single game, very few games lasted longer than 25min.

Build Order

Player 1 (Hissy)

> Sniper
> Scout car- dirt cheap, easily remade if lost
> Sniper
> *Sometimes a 2nd Scout car at his discretion
> Guards- snipers rack up kills and 1 CP comes very early
> SU85
> 120mm mortar if and when needed
> T34/85 spam

Player 2 (Me)

> 3 scripts
> all 3 HQ upgrades
> T2 for fast ZiS
> Shock spam
> additional ZiS as needed
> ISU152 until resources gone

What it does

- Completely negates early Flame HT
- MGs are consistently stolen very early in game
- Panthers+Stugs= no problem

How it works

Early Game

First sniper from Hissy goes and caps a point, then rides around in car killing MGs and capping points. If he kills a MG I come take it. I can also flank and combat Grens independently because of the molotovs, but if they lock down a critical part of the map then Hissy will come to assist with snipers.

Mid Game

I retreat Engi to build T2 and start researching AT nades. Hissy gets mines down early and spams them throughout the game because Soviets float lots of munis. The combination of 3 scripts with AT nades, mine spam, early Guards, and early ZiS means that T2 vehicles are basically useless. The only decent counter to the sniper car is a 20mm AC, but those were lured over mines in most our games (and a lot of people were revealed them before the upgrade finished, so we were well aware what was about to happen). Even if a SC is killed, they are so ridiculously cheap they can be remade like nothing happened. The Snipers + Shocks handle the infantry and decrew Paks incredibly well. Considering most of the time we will have at least one stolen MG42, it just gets that much easier.

Late Game (if there is one)

The combination of T3/85 spam, SU85, ISU152, 2 ZiS, AT nades, Guards, and "Mark Vehicle" doctrine ability makes any late tanks a joke. The only real threat to our armor is a PG blob loaded with Shreks, but making the armor pushes in tight coordination from the snipers, Shocks, and ISU152s and the blob won't be much of a problem.

*Pripyat

On this map we both go for Guard Motor because the Shocks don't have very many flanking routes and 120mm is very deadly here. Hissy does the usual opening then spams Guards until T34/85, and I get some heavy mortars. Double T34/85 spam with two different people using Mark Vehicle is possibly the best heavy armor killer in the game.

Extra stuff to know
- the Soviet AT mines can also counter infantry
- the SU85 itself is pretty weak, but in combination with Mark Vehicle it is a monster
- I usually merge at least one conscript away to another unit at some point to reduce reinforcing and upkeep
- Hissy can get Katyusha as blob stop gap before ISU if needed
- Mark Vehicle includes a "recon" plane circling the selected vehicle that extends your sight
- Guards will fuck up halftracks badly when targeted by MV ability
- The Scout Car MG is easily capable of finishing off a HT that hits a mine
- Self repair your T34/85 after ramming if possible. Usually they will focus on the tanks that are still functional, which means you will be out of combat.
-Don't feel bad about floating manpower. More floating= more T34/85 + ISU152 later.

9 Jun 2013, 06:06 AM

Replays: coming soon!
9 Jun 2013, 10:38 AM

best strat ever MVGame
9 Jun 2013, 11:38 AM

Yay, more scout car sniper play!
9 Jun 2013, 11:43 AM

Yay, more scout car sniper play!

I'm pretty confident this would work anyways with another unit in place of the SC, but for now its kinda needed or the flame HT shows up and insta kills snipers. I don't see the big deal with Snipers moving around the map faster, they take damage unlike stuff inside a Bren. The main problem is that they need to be countersniped twice. :/
9 Jun 2013, 15:35 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what can counter this. Russians need a munitions dump that isn't mines as of current it's stupidly easy to hoard munitions for Mines / Mark Target / AT Nades.
9 Jun 2013, 16:50 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

snipers in scoutcars is a game winning unit.. i have no trouble microing my SC from the distance, but it shines the most when you pursue retreating units. i once took out 2 grens and an MG that were retreating. :P
14 Jun 2013, 07:42 AM

We made a few changes, but it plays out very similar:

Hissy goes very light conscript opening and backtechs for sniper(s). Sometimes he gets a car but usually not, not sure what determines his decision on that. Then he goes SU85 like before with Shocks > ISU

I have a very similar opening with 3 scripts > upgrades > AT gun > Guards. I follow that up with a 9-11min T34, and all excess manpower gets dumped into more Guards or a 120mm if needed. All fuel after that gets saved for T34/85. When I'm close to unlocking those I reserve resources (keep reinforcing, just stop getting new Guards) for 85 spam until the game is over.

*120mm before Guards on Pripyat
14 Jun 2013, 07:46 AM

Here's a few of our games. http://www.coh2.org/file/1497/replays.rar

Soviet1/2/3 are using the original strat. The other replays are using the newer version.
25 Jun 2013, 14:17 PM

Snipers in scout cars, you just can't stop it.
25 Jun 2013, 17:45 PM

Its a stupid mechanic but it can be countered (nobody we played did it correctly though). And we stopped using them after about 25 games anyways because we wanted to find a reliable way to play that wasn't possibly going to be nerfed/removed in a upcoming patch.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 73

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight