Login

russian armor

CAS Pin Strafe + Recon + Stuka Dive Bomb in Base

6 Jul 2015, 12:41 PM

Why not just make it so howitzers can slowly move. Enough so that if you notice a bomb coming in you can move?
6 Jul 2015, 12:49 PM

Why not just make it so howitzers can slowly move. Enough so that if you notice a bomb coming in you can move?

Because the enemy player would have zero chance to counter it.

Let me be clear. An AA unit should never counter Stuka DB 100% of the time, it should depend on the AA's proximity to the Stuka DB versus chance to kill stuka DB, I guess. Pretty much like most of the other off map air strikes that can be light countered.

Or go with how Relic changed P47's? Design it, so that Stuka DB's are actually two strikes, with each strike having a chance to be shot down, and halving the damage of each strike. One hit decrews the howi, and lightly damages the weapon, two hits outright destroys the weapon.

6 Jul 2015, 21:57 PM

This whole thread really just amount to a litmus test for intelligence. If you find yourself supporting the current state of CAS, then you need help. The first step to moving on is to admit you have a problem.

Relic is backing themselves into an awkward position with paid commanders - how do you actually balance a commander when the only reason anyone bought it in the first place is because they were excited about how OP it was going to be?
6 Jul 2015, 22:15 PM
Patrion 14

IMO the best way to fix CAS is to make the fuel-muni trade like Lend Lease's supply drops, but the other way round!!
So AA vehicles can actually decrease the potenncy of the doctrine!

the problem goes beyond spam-ability of CAS strikes.

both AI and AT strafes are light years ahead in terms of damage, timing and cost-efficiency when compared to any other off map artillery strikes. the logic behind other artillery strikes is as follows: the faster it comes, overall less devastating it is. not with CAS doc abilities.

not to mention having both stuka dive bomb and 30 muni recon pass is laughable.
7 Jul 2015, 00:14 AM

both AI and AT strafes are light years ahead in terms of damage, timing and cost-efficiency when compared to any other off map artillery strikes. the logic behind other artillery strikes is as follows: the faster it comes, overall less devastating it is. not with CAS doc abilities.

Yeah the recon/bombing run combo is already potent in other doctrines, but this is even cheaper than normal recon, perfect for scouting a single high value target for the bombing strike. The pinning strafe has an enormous radius. AT strafe is sometimes ok to dodge, but if you're close to the edge it's almost impossible if your tanks have to turn or slow down for any reason. Or if you've got a bit of lag.

In theory the abilities in CAS would be "worse" than regular strafes, regular recons etc because they're half the price. But in reality, they simply become much more efficient abilities because they are devestating for a short duration, but don't keep firing long after most players would retreat for the more expensive versions of the abilities.

Enormously efficient, uncounterable fuel-> muni is icing on the cake. Even if you deleted that ability and replaced it with literally nothing would be a good doctrine for team games.
7 Jul 2015, 07:57 AM

I agree! I didn't mention it because I pointed out obvious misbalances so often before, but never with the effect I hoped for.

The 50kg Dive Bomb is basicly a B4 precision strike without a B4 and unlimited range. It cannot be countered like the howitzer and has no construction costs, the strikes just bening a bit more expensive.

When compared to the IL2 Bomb Run, the stuka is cheaper, has more impact and doesn't reveal itself through flares.

Shall we compare the Strafing Run with Propaganda Artillery? Let's not..

What an elegant solution.

Thank you, sir!
7 Jul 2015, 11:33 AM

CAS got very much buffed in the latest patch.

1.) What kind of doctrine is CAS? It is an infantry heavy doctrine.

2.) Easiest way to counter infantry heavy? Well allies have quite good infantry themselves.

3.) How do you most effectivly win with comparable amount of total manpower? By accheving local parity or superiority.

4)What happens if allies try to push along narrow frontage with multiple units? They get suppressed.
4.1)Instead they must split up to flank MGs, thus surrendering local parity in force.

5.) What counters Germans(Or anyone) if they have a strong force on narrow frontage? Well Indirect fire.

6) What counters indirect fire units? CAS abilites of course!

7.) What safe bet do you have as Allies? Breakthrough tanks I guess.

CAS is simply the commander gaining most from the changes to MGs and Grens. Where I think the problem lies is with two things: The tools availible to CAS to deal with indirect fire units, and the tools they have to prevent the allies from acchiving atleast a parity in local force is way to strong at the moment.

Now before som smartass goes "only stopping blobbing" having a strong local force is not blobbing, it can be blobbing doesn't mean you are blobbing. It means having as many of your barrels as possible fire on the same target.

Allies right now in general, and with CAS in particular needs something that will be able to counterplay a Wehr force forcing them to spread out and messing up their Schwerpunkt. This means the combat opens up and will be more fluid. With both sides trying to acchive local superiority and then counterplayed by the enemy trying to break them up if that happens.

Mortars are a good option but will mean you open up to your mortars being rushed, for the simple reason that you are lacking an effective defensive machinegun as allies.
Before CAS this was instead done a bit later in game with the heavier allied indirect fire units. Now sadly with CAS they can be effectivly countered.

And Please note, I win against CAS and I lose against it, I win with it and I loose with it. I just think this doctrine in particular promotes a very stale game with one side being able to move in close formation and having local superiority at all times, lest a lucky demo or a good arty hit breaks them down.

But I guess this is more of a general problem of the game.
8 Jul 2015, 22:40 PM

@ OP.

I suggested this on the relic community forums:

Change allegiance of CAS from Wehrmacht to USF.
11 Jul 2015, 13:03 PM
Patrion 15

@ OP.

I suggested this on the relic community forums:

Change allegiance of CAS from Wehrmacht to USF.

That would destabilize global mineral commodity markets from the amount of salt it would produce
12 Jul 2015, 10:29 AM
Donator 11

I think CAS AT strafe should be changed, planes fly in a straight line and dont have too be called directly on target which can even be in fog of war like two katys got wrecked while shooting and the strafe was called in without spotting the katys directly
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★