Login

russian armor

Pershing ?

PAGES (15)down
30 Jun 2015, 21:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2015, 21:17 PMNinjaWJ
just like ostwind, sturmtiger, and all those fancy axis units!!!

Sturmtiger saw action in the Battle of the Bulge, so it fits. Besides, you rarely see Sturmtigers deployed in game. Ostwind I agree with, the Wirbelwind was more common, though not by much, but they should have used the Wirbelwind.. OKW's Scavenge Doctrine should have also supplied StuGs instead of Ostwinds.
30 Jun 2015, 21:31 PM

I can agree with this, 76mm Shermans like the Soviet Sherman should have been available alongside the 75mm Shermans.

It's not, but the Tiger was extremely common in comparison to the Pershing, which only saw a handful of engagements.

That's simply not true. The Germans shifted considerable numbers of Panthers, Tiger I's, and Tiger II's to the western front in preparation for the Americans and British. We faced a lot of Panthers and Tigers there.

From an interview with Steven Zaloga:

"How many times did US forces encounter Tiger tanks?

When you read unit accounts, whether it’s the actual unit after action reports or the published books, everyone talks about Tiger tanks. But in looking at it in both German records and US records, I’ve only found three instances in all the fighting from Normandy to 1945 where the US encountered Tigers. And by Tigers I mean Tiger 1, the type of tank we saw in the film. I’m not talking King Tigers, the strange thing is that the US Army encountered King Tigers far more often than Tigers. That’s partly because there weren’t a lot of Tigers left by 1944, production ends in August 1944. There were not a lot of Tigers in Normandy, they were mostly in the British sector, the British saw a lot of Tigers. Part of the issue is that US tankers were notorious for identifying everything as a Tiger tank, everything from Stug III assault guns to Panzer IV and Panthers and Tigers."

Heres the original source of the statement made from actual documentation: http://www.amazon.com/Armored-Thunderbolt-U-S-Sherman-World/dp/0811704246

Most of the Tiger Is were deployed in the British sector, not the US one. And yes, Panthers were actually very common.

Now where is your references?
---
The interview: http://tankandafvnews.com/2015/01/27/zaloga_interview/
30 Jun 2015, 21:37 PM

Sherman Crocodile
Sherman Calliope
Sherman Jumbo
76mm Sherman

ALL THE SHERMANS THAT FOUGHT IN WW2. Because the US army used a lot of them.

30 Jun 2015, 21:38 PM
Donator 22

ahw this thread is turning into another "I know everything about the ww2/ww2 historian" thread

we'll see what the future brings :bananadance: and when the new faction will be released, no one will play usf again :snfPeter:
30 Jun 2015, 21:43 PM

ahw this thread is turning into another "I know everything about the ww2/ww2 historian" thread

we'll see what the future brings :bananadance: and when the new faction will be released, no one will play usf again :snfPeter:

When people try to use the Pershings limited service record in WW2 as a reason why it should not get added or anything like that i may as well prove them wrong using actual documentation and references along with comparsions.

Personally i think the M26 is a great addition, just like how i appreciated the addition of the Sturmtiger, Tiger II and Jagdtiger back when the OKW was released.
30 Jun 2015, 22:01 PM

From an interview with Steven Zaloga:

"How many times did US forces encounter Tiger tanks?

When you read unit accounts, whether it’s the actual unit after action reports or the published books, everyone talks about Tiger tanks. But in looking at it in both German records and US records, I’ve only found three instances in all the fighting from Normandy to 1945 where the US encountered Tigers. And by Tigers I mean Tiger 1, the type of tank we saw in the film. I’m not talking King Tigers, the strange thing is that the US Army encountered King Tigers far more often than Tigers. That’s partly because there weren’t a lot of Tigers left by 1944, production ends in August 1944. There were not a lot of Tigers in Normandy, they were mostly in the British sector, the British saw a lot of Tigers. Part of the issue is that US tankers were notorious for identifying everything as a Tiger tank, everything from Stug III assault guns to Panzer IV and Panthers and Tigers."

Heres the original source of the statement made from actual documentation: http://www.amazon.com/Armored-Thunderbolt-U-S-Sherman-World/dp/0811704246

Most of the Tiger Is were deployed in the British sector, not the US one. And yes, Panthers were actually very common.

Now where is your references?
---
The interview: http://tankandafvnews.com/2015/01/27/zaloga_interview/

I still find it hard to believe that Germany sent well over 200 Tigers at us, and miraculously we only managed to see 3? That doesn't sound right to me, even with sources. It's like standing in the rain and not getting wet. o_O

Relic should stop flaunting authenticity if they don't intend to follow it. Most of OKW's design, Pershing in Battle of the Bulge.
30 Jun 2015, 22:05 PM

I still find it hard to believe that Germany sent well over 200 Tigers at us, and miraculously we only managed to see 3? That doesn't sound right to me, even with sources. It's like standing in the rain and not getting wet. o_O

Relic should stop flaunting authenticity if they don't intend to follow it. Most of OKW's design, Pershing in Battle of the Bulge.

Again, most of the Tiger Is were sent to the British sector and not at the US forces. The US saw more Tiger II however and also the JTs along with many many Panthers.

And no it was not 3 in total, it was 3 confirmed engagements in different quatities of Tiger Is.

And also, Elefants in the Battle of the Bulge :D
30 Jun 2015, 22:14 PM

Well in Normandy the British were much more of a threat because if Caen was taken the road to Paris was open.

The US Army mostly came across stuff like StuG's if they came across any armor at all. The 29th Infantry Division for example only ever came across real tanks (as in Panzer IV's) in August 1944, after Operation Cobra. The only two panzer division that were active in the American sector before Operation Cobra were the Panzer-Lehr-Division and the 2nd SS Panzer Division, and neither of them had Tigers iirc. The Panzer-Lehr certainly didn't.

And I guess by the time of the Bulge most Tigers would've been lost because of the fighting in Normandy.
30 Jun 2015, 22:21 PM

If the Pershing is put in game and that's a huge if; I really hope Relic is smart enough not to give it the ability to decrew it's self.

Pop cap abuse with heavy tanks....*shudder*
30 Jun 2015, 22:24 PM

If the Pershing is put in game and that's a huge if; I really hope Relic is smart enough not to give it the ability to decrew it's self.

Yea, the ability to abuse pop cap like that should definetly be eliminated.
30 Jun 2015, 22:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2015, 21:17 PMNinjaWJ

just like ostwind, sturmtiger, and all those fancy axis units!!!

More Ostwinds and Sturmtigers saw action than Pershings so uh, I don't really know were your going with this.

The KV2 was actually built in less numbers than the KT :D
30 Jun 2015, 22:30 PM

Well in Normandy the British were much more of a threat because if Caen was taken the road to Paris was open.

The US Army mostly came across stuff like StuG's if they came across any armor at all. The 29th Infantry Division for example only ever came across real tanks (as in Panzer IV's) in August 1944, after Operation Cobra. The only two panzer division that were active in the American sector before Operation Cobra were the Panzer-Lehr-Division and the 2nd SS Panzer Division, and neither of them had Tigers iirc. The Panzer-Lehr certainly didn't.

And I guess by the time of the Bulge most Tigers would've been lost because of the fighting in Normandy.
Well wasn't it the british's job to take the key port towns while the US flanked as fast as they could through the south. It makes sense that they would send their heaviest armor to the places with the heaviest fighting. And the US forces were probably moving so fast they didn't bother to stop and confirm their kills so, it makes sense that their reports might not be all that accurate.
30 Jun 2015, 22:34 PM

More Ostwinds and Sturmtigers saw action than Pershings so uh, I don't really know were your going with this.

The KV2 was actually built in less numbers than the KT :D

19 Sturmtigers were made and 20 Pershings saw action.
30 Jun 2015, 22:36 PM

19 Sturmtigers were made and 20 Pershings saw action.

I meant actually fought. It's debatable how man Pershing's actually saw combat but I'm currently riding a painkiller high so I'm not the most reliable source :thumbsup:
30 Jun 2015, 22:38 PM

I like how often we see 17/251 flak, while models which were able to attack ground objects, were only 16-18
30 Jun 2015, 22:43 PM

[strategic bombing on company level fighting intensifies]
30 Jun 2015, 22:47 PM

I meant actually fought. It's debatable how man Pershing's actually saw combat but I'm currently riding a painkiller high so I'm not the most reliable source :thumbsup:

Dont you think its a bit debatable if all those Sturmtiges saw actual combat or not?

Those 20 M26s were part of the Zebra mission where they immediatly got split between the 3rd and the 9th armored divisions and then sent to fight along the Roer river with the Lovelady Task Force in 1945, during those battles 1 M26 got knocked out near Elsdorf and then an M26 claimed a Tiger I kill along with a Panzer IV kill during the very same battle.

Source: https://ospreypublishing.com/m26-m46-pershing-tank-1943-53
1 Jul 2015, 02:16 AM

1 Jul 2015, 02:55 AM

Permanently Banned

Again, its in files and relic has a model. Same with calliope. Calliope even has a unit image.
1 Jul 2015, 03:33 AM
PAGES (15)down
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight