Login

russian armor

Blobbing....Risk VS Reward

12 Jun 2015, 05:52 AM

I play a lot of 2v2 AT as well as random. After ending my semester and having a bit more of free time, iv been able to play the game a bit more. Now iv noticed this toxic routine or pattern. The game starts out strategy and micro-management but before I know it, it's a massive blob of 12 units sometimes more. Guards/LMG-riflemen/scripts and it's next to impossible to stop the blobb. Now let me say,

1. I don't blob, it's like my micro beats them, and it forces them to blob to defeat me, and/or it forces me to blob back.

2. I am fully aware of the counters, stuka, ISG, MG34/42, Motors, etc.

3. I am aware that while blobbing your unable to have respectable map control

4. Iv won games to this and I have lost game to this. So it's a neutral understanding to this, no rage included.

5. I hardly ever use shreks on volks, as well as MG42 on grens, I'm able to get to maximum vet no problem. (Just a fun fact)

My point of this post, is that clearly having a well micro army using cover etc, is not being rewarded at all. In fact it's punishable because 1-2 squads get melted by 6 or more.

I would like to have a anti blobbing area nurf. (I can't think of the words atm) but 4 or more units next to each other should have an effect of reduced speed/accuracy and increased vulnerability. If these are in effect a symbol should appear over them like how the repair symbol is over the tank and such.

My two cents.

I understand allies have the same problem. So this is a two way street. This game is becoming "Company of blobbing"
12 Jun 2015, 06:14 AM

You're a but late. Your suggestion has been brought up before and is often shot down for a variety of reasons. Relic seems to be more partial to to buffing anti-blob units over a debuff field which I think is a better decision.

As a player it's your duty to use anti-blobbing tools to counter blobs, not expect them to be passively punished.which is why it's better to simply buff blob-counters.
12 Jun 2015, 06:37 AM

Looking at it that way isnt the right way to fix things imo. Something needs to happen to the blobber, not the person countering it. That just puts control in the hands of the person who doesn't deserve it. The blobber should have to adjust to the situation, not the other way around.
12 Jun 2015, 07:08 AM
Patrion 27

Brummbär will destroy the blob and every supporting AT gun. You can attack-ground over shot blockers and the vet 1 barrage they gave it a while ago is like a super SU76.

Infantry Support Gun can suppress and/or pin multiple units per shot when it gets a decent hit.

S-mine fields are devastating vs un-managed blobs.

Close-Air Support wrecks blobs. Period.

vs. cons/lmg rifles/paratroopers (anything without double bazookas) the Luchs has great performance.

There is a meta-game changing... I'm talking COH2.5, patch coming out on June 23rd as well as an entire new faction so sit tight and just have some fun until then.
12 Jun 2015, 07:23 AM

It's just a fad. If you blob your units together you can use the full force of your army without the need to manage each squad individually, making it really convenient for someone who has difficulty with micromanagement. It's a strategy full of risks with dozens of hard counters available to ruin it.

It's only a problem because people find it annoying. The game's balance isn't to blame for popular player behavior. I suppose things have been patched out of games for less, but I hardly consider the frequency of an inherently bad strategy to be a problem.
12 Jun 2015, 08:07 AM

im currently catching up thoughts and ideas to take them down in kinda rulessystem expressed in scarfunctions which are adressing your thoughts above. its ridicoulous how game has developed.ctrl+a and blobselect has nothing to do with skill or situational awarenes of current state of the match you are in.when i tested the very first version of my mod the first just left after he saw how it works(such a bunkerdown+mass instead class-gamertype he was) and the second mate failed at halftime(where should your micromanaging skills come from when you often play too macro) :P
but its glad to see that some other people are fed up with exactly same issues im fed up with too. my 2 cents, weitermachen!
12 Jun 2015, 08:08 AM

Permanently Banned
the only real players that complain about blobs are the ones that don't know how to fight them.

There are enough ways to punish blobbing already
12 Jun 2015, 08:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jun 2015, 07:23 AMXucphra
It's only a problem because people find it annoying. The game's balance isn't to blame for popular player behavior. I suppose things have been patched out of games for less, but I hardly consider the frequency of an inherently bad strategy to be a problem.

thats the point not how good or bad blobs are to counter or sth. like that.
12 Jun 2015, 08:38 AM

I'm not even quite sure what blobbing is but I'm sure it is a insult. Every game i have played. The word gets thrown out there. XD
12 Jun 2015, 08:54 AM

A blob will always lose to a well-managed force of equal value. There's no way in hell that five squads standing out in the open all in one little group and completely incapable of effectively dodging a nade can beat five squads that actually operate independently.

Let them blob, I say. If the blob beats your force in a fight, then they probably would beat you even harder as a group of well-managed squads.

And that's why I don't have a problem with blobbing. It's not the blob that beats you, it's your opponents strategic superiority in having a larger force at that location than you. You should be happy if your opponent blobs. Get in cover, throw some nades, and you'll probably win every engagement.
12 Jun 2015, 09:35 AM

I'm not even quite sure what blobbing is but I'm sure it is a insult. Every game i have played. The word gets thrown out there. XD

Look at the AXIS Units, all clumped up. This is a Blob...

12 Jun 2015, 09:59 AM

For those of you that are listing counters, yes I know them already. My point is, is that blobbing shouldn't control the game what so ever, I shouldn't have to pick a commander because my enemy is blobbing. Brummbars, love that thing, tho it has horrible pathing, unit acts like it's size profile is twice as much. Anyways, just finding myself in every game being a blobb fest, it's horrible.
12 Jun 2015, 10:05 AM

For those of you that are listing counters, yes I know them already. My point is, is that blobbing shouldn't control the game what so ever, I shouldn't have to pick a commander because my enemy is blobbing. Brummbars, love that thing, tho it has horrible pathing, unit acts like it's size profile is twice as much. Anyways, just finding myself in every game being a blobb fest, it's horrible.

Uh... why not?

Do you not normally wait for your opponent to show their hand before picking a commander?

Every commander is effective against certain playstyles, and countered by others. Blobbing is a playstyle, whether it's effective or not. No matter what playstyle your opponent favors, you should be picking a commander that counters it.

It sounds to me like your main complaint is that you can't use every commander for every situation.
12 Jun 2015, 10:13 AM

Look at the AXIS Units, all clumped up. This is a Blob...

LOL! More like was a blob! That's nuts!
12 Jun 2015, 12:53 PM

LOL! More like was a blob! That's nuts!

:D good one!
12 Jun 2015, 18:28 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

If you spread out thin around the map, a concentrated force is gonna break your lines.

Engaging 1-2 units against 6 is stupid even if you have cover superiority. Cover matters to the point that makes your units more cost/effective but you can't expect that a single MG is gonna stop 4 infantry squads for example.

MG, cover, upgrades, abilities, etc. are force multipliers. Not IWIN buttons.

When people complains about blobs, they just want the game to punish them automatically rather than use counterblob tools. Cause this puts a micro tax in the receiving party rather than the blobber.
12 Jun 2015, 18:39 PM

Arty > Blob, Demos > Blob, Tank horde > Blob, Blob = Blob, Squad < Blob, several units < Blob, 1-2 pieces of armor < Blob.
In theory if we take (Blob*Demos*arty*armor) = (Blob)^2
Divide by Demos
And multiply by 1/arty
Amplify with armor spam
And square root everything by 2 more blobs
We get:
  • Explosions + Blob ≥ +- Blob. :foreveralone:

• Sadly Blob + Explosions ≠ Blob + Armor :foreveralone:

• So, for those fanbois who haven't taken anything higher than lvl 1 Algebra in their 5th grade year.
  • Spamming Arty/Demos/Traps in conjunction with your own Blob is the best way to take out an enemy blob easily. :foreveralone:

• So Risk/Reward of blobbing is that if you blob, you lose. :foreveralone:
12 Jun 2015, 18:47 PM

come on m8s blobbing is the quickscoping of coh2, its a mark of true mlg pr0
12 Jun 2015, 21:28 PM

AoE attacks are effective against blobs, for example mortars and grenade abilities. One thing I find suprisingly deadly is to just run them over with a tank rush, it's not uncommon to wipe 2-3 squads if the blob is in a tight spot, a narrow street or pressed against a hedge for example.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★