Login

russian armor

Weapon Range Advice

16 May 2015, 20:09 PM

an additional note is that point blank also ignroes suppression/pinned modifiers, but doesnt ignore garrison modifers i believe
16 May 2015, 20:12 PM

an additional note is that point blank also ignroes suppression/pinned modifiers, but doesnt ignore garrison modifers i believe

Yep, which is why standing in close range while suppressed in front of an MG is a really bad idea.
16 May 2015, 21:27 PM

Permanently Banned
Hello there

I am a new member of this forum and a just bought Company of Heroes 2 a bout a week ago. I am not the greateds of players and need some help

I have a few questions. Do weapons do more damage up close? And do machinguns do more damage when my men are surpressed? How do you guys organize your army? Spread out, units closer?

Thank you in advance

Squeaky
16 May 2015, 21:42 PM

all weapons have better accuracy at closer range. units that are suppressed have a modifier that reduces the amount of damage taken, but in exchange they are significantly reduced in combat effectiveness.
17 May 2015, 02:06 AM
Patrion 28

the damage reduction only lasts for a short amount of time as well as far as i know.
17 May 2015, 02:54 AM

It depends whether you need that territory, that is how you judge whether the engagement is "necessary". Sometimes its better to retreat and reduce losses.
In your situation though, if you really needto grab that victory point, pretty much what Lemon just said, you rush up with your 2 grens, and you will win that engagement.
17 May 2015, 03:49 AM

Just rifle nade the conscripts in cover. :p
Advance on them while they're microing out of cover, or let them take a bunch of casualties.
Dwelling in battle phase 1 is asking to lose every engagement ever. ;)

It depends whether you need that territory, that is how you judge whether the engagement is "necessary". Sometimes its better to retreat and reduce losses.
In your situation though, if you really needto grab that victory point, pretty much what Lemon just said, you rush up with your 2 grens, and you will win that engagement.

This is first engagement of the game, so nades and teching are not a consideration. I often lose first engagement as Ost unless my opponent screws up or rng goes my way, so obviously I am not using my grens in tactical efficient manner. Normally i try to fight from max range and in cover, if not at max then medium or whatever is close. But cons can stall in green cover and wait for reinforcements or assistance from indirect fire so these type of engagements cannot drag on.

From what i understand from posts is as follows.

If I have numerical advantage and cons are in green cover then i should advance, negate cover advantage and push con off before he can get reinforced with other squads. This seems to be most beneficial in 2 on 1 engagements rather than a 3 on 2. In the latter in seems that I can push 1 squad off easily and win the engagement by slim margin, but this is only a consideration if i can approach unseen for most of the advance.

All other engagements where cons are not in green cover but light/open/negative I should continue to seek light/green cover and stay at range.

Are the house modifiers the same as green cover, aside from having green cover from all directions. I mean if you are in green cover attacking a house does your squad have same cover, not considering windows as they will vary.

Does numerical advantage still apply if attacking Guards behind sandbags, ie 2 on 1.
17 May 2015, 03:54 AM

Also, is the general consensus that these units in pic are at medium range or more medium to long...
17 May 2015, 06:53 AM

There aren't really any hard and fast rules as to when and where to engage in a fluid game. I mean, you could easily rout those cons in the game you've given, but then run into 2 more behind them. So, this is where you have to maximize your half of the metagame, and play your opponent by coming in with a solid overall strategy. This is CRUCIAL, especially as Axis, and will inform your tactical decision making especially in the early game.

What are you trying to accomplish? What do I need to accomplish that goal? Is success worth the price of failure leveled against the cost of succeeding?

Those Grens are at med-long. Guards are a whole 'nother kettle of fish, as their PTRS will be dice rolling as if they were snipers. Best directional cover and having more than they do is usually a good idea.
17 May 2015, 07:09 AM

There aren't really any hard and fast rules as to when and where to engage in a fluid game. I mean, you could easily rout those cons in the game you've given, but then run into 2 more behind them. So, this is where you have to maximize your half of the metagame, and play your opponent by coming in with a solid overall strategy. This is CRUCIAL, especially as Axis, and will inform your tactical decision making especially in the early game.

What are you trying to accomplish? What do I need to accomplish that goal? Is success worth the price of failure leveled against the cost of succeeding?

Those Grens are at med-long. Guards are a whole 'nother kettle of fish, as their PTRS will be dice rolling as if they were snipers. Best directional cover is usually a good idea.

My overall strategy with axis is quite solid, i know the counters to everything and generally read my opponent well.

My objective is to maximize the finer points of Ost play. My biggest problem can be the opening engagements and dealing with infantry heavy builds from sov. If i hold my own early the rest of the game is not so much of an issue.

In reality, I probably don't blob hard enough, instead focusing too much on position play and cover which in some instances be less effective.
17 May 2015, 07:37 AM

"My biggest problem can be the opening engagements and dealing with infantry heavy builds from sov. If i hold my own early the rest of the game is not so much of an issue."

When you mention, blobbing, you're sort of on the right track, in terms of concentration of forces, and why I suggested you examine your strategy: make sure you're fighting over worthwhile territory, and picking engagements in service of getting you into the later portions of the game.

Tactically-- those finer points, I'm sure you're perfectly adequate and can execute your plans fine, but you need to make sure that those plans carry meaning.
17 May 2015, 09:17 AM

Just keep in mind well entrenched enemies are hard to defeat head on. That's why houses/garrisons/green cover, are important, and should be denied from your enemy. In your situation here, if u rush the cons behind sandbags with 2 grens, yes, you would force a retreat, but you suffer more. Best way to deal with that is flanking or indirect fire(which OKW lacks)
17 May 2015, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Are the house modifiers the same as green cover, aside from having green cover from all directions. I mean if you are in green cover attacking a house does your squad have same cover, not considering windows as they will vary.

Besides receiving 0 supression, i think garrison cover (note that there are different values for bunker and trenches) is SLIGHTLY worst than heavy cover. Something like 5-10%
17 May 2015, 16:58 PM

This is first engagement of the game, so nades and teching are not a consideration. I often lose first engagement as Ost unless my opponent screws up or rng goes my way, so obviously I am not using my grens in tactical efficient manner. Normally i try to fight from max range and in cover, if not at max then medium or whatever is close. But cons can stall in green cover and wait for reinforcements or assistance from indirect fire so these type of engagements cannot drag on.

If it is the first engagement of the game, then try to utilize your pioneers. They can serve two very crucial functions in the first engagement: They can draw fire from your grens, and more importantly, they can dominate a conscript squad on their own if they can close. Once that cover is negated they will clean out the conscripts with no question, especially with the support of 2 grenadier squads.

A grenadier and a pio squad can decisively defeat a conscript squad supported with combat engineers, or even another conscript squad if you handle yourself well.

But honestly, the best way for Ostheer to win the first engagement is to be fighting it defensively.
17 May 2015, 17:42 PM

Lemon
Do you mean to telll us that In situation Cons stay behind sandbags with barbwire in front don't inflict heavy loses to 2 Gren squad approuching to range <10. Or u mean Gren should go round the sandbags. Don't forget Grens have much less accuracy on the move.

What I've seen with same veterancy and full health Cons win such a fight.
17 May 2015, 18:50 PM

Besides receiving 0 supression, i think garrison cover (note that there are different values for bunker and trenches) is SLIGHTLY worst than heavy cover. Something like 5-10%

units in green are 50% harder, units in garrisons 45%.
both only take half damage though. bunkers and trenches use the garrison modifiers, the bunker and trench cover tables are just carry overs from coh1.

@some one
they wont inflict heavy losses on approach. you will probably lose one model on approach, and another model in combat if the cons start shooting at you from max range. cons lose a 2v1 fight in green cover with grens at point blank EVERY time. you have to be sure youre within 10 range though.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★