Login

russian armor

Non meta units/commanders you play

6 May 2015, 04:10 AM

USF when play 1v1 against ost.. Mass RE to gain map control use volley to fight off cutoff grens and rush for AA HT and rush it to enemy base before he build T2 building :D (usually ost player don't go T2 that fast, most time when i reach german base they are building T2)

as i always go walking stuka first as OKW not flank HT, also i don't use obs anymore since nerf, i use Fallschirmjäger and keep in distance to fight enemy infantry, also airborn assult is great to counter a big blob and force them to retreat, if they don't retreat my mighty stuka rockets will land on them. (if they retreat before my stuka fire i will fire at base if it is 1v1 or 2v2)

Ost my favor commander is LeFH 18 art with sector artillery pretty much use in 2v2 and 3v3 all the time, although the LeFH got owned by 120mm precision strike, B4, and USF priest pretty hard, but i still love them and i usually never target it to battlefield when playing 2v2, always bombing the enemy base, wipe alot sq from it and destroy buildings is fun too. and sector artillery when use right is very suppressing to enemy, I use to throw flare into woods of the sectors, so other side won't realize until art hit them.

6 May 2015, 05:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 May 2015, 17:40 PMRMMLz
You know what's funny? There are A LOT of so-called "non-meta" play styles posted here and people claim that they are viable and you can win with them, but we have countless threads about how "stale" the game is right now.

Exactly. I think the keyword here is that in "competitive setting". There they might not work. If you're Random Joe and most likely not capable of pulling miracles from your sleeves and you enjoy trying new stuff, there are things you can try and it's real fun when they are succeed.
6 May 2015, 06:07 AM
6 May 2015, 06:21 AM

MG42s FOR LYFEEEEEE with spearhead, CAS, or jaegar armor Kappa and some teller mines. :D
6 May 2015, 07:08 AM

I wanted to try this out, but I kept thinking that Pumas and Command tank will delay Panthers quite heavily? Perhaps useable in 4v4.

It sure is an uphill battle. Basically I just keep the Puma as a panic anti-tank unit and get Command Tank after Panther unless I'm really desperate for anti-infantry.
6 May 2015, 08:01 AM

I wanted to know how many people also like to try new playstyles that are outside of the current meta.
What do you do? Which units do you use and which commander fits your playstyle the best?

I, for example, still play the flame HT in 2v2 games because I like it's AI power and the fact that you can restock your units. I also like to play T4 in team games for Brummbär and especially Panzerwerfer.

Tell me about your preferences :snfPeter:

1. Well actualy I find the Brumbar verry useful and if I build T4 I almost allways use it. It's your best bet against infantry, as ostheer, nothing does more damage and it's not so bad against medium tanks.

2. As USF I sometimes build at least 3 pathfinder units, using them as far distance engagement units. You won't believe what these guys are capable of, when blobbed a little.

3. As soviet, I sometimes prefere to jump to T34 asap and build at least 2 of them to mess up the enemy lines a little and force the retreat of a too imobile army. The quicker, the better.

6 May 2015, 20:25 PM

I try to use soviet industry in 3v3 and 4v4 every once in a while, but it fails miserably against even an average enemy
6 May 2015, 22:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 May 2015, 17:40 PMRMMLz
You know what's funny? There are A LOT of so-called "non-meta" play styles posted here and people claim that they are viable and you can win with them, but we have countless threads about how "stale" the game is right now.

Playing with a handicap is a great way to even the playing field or instill diversity or a new challenge into a game, but it's not actually a competitively viable strategy.
7 May 2015, 06:04 AM

I try to use soviet industry in 3v3 and 4v4 every once in a while, but it fails miserably against even an average enemy

I don't think that this is bad in my opinion.
Soviet Industry was a gamebreaker all the time. At first it was ridiculously OP and now it's high risk low reward.
Before you auto won every match.
Now you lose 90% of the matches.
Soviet industry needs to be remaked or simply removed.
But what to do with the people who payed real money for this? :snfPeter:
7 May 2015, 06:23 AM

Soviet Industry was a gamebreaker all the time. At first it was ridiculously OP and now it's high risk low reward.
Soviet industry needs to be remaked or simply removed.

I think it's atleast high risk medium reward. :D

Atleast with arranged teams (talking about 2vs2). If early game goes well (no miracle wipes from enemy mortar etc.), mid game harassment goes average or better, then there's a good chance that the game is in your pocket. If your mate has nice amount of infantry left (and even better, you have).

KV2's are beasts in some maps. Only counter that I actually fear in that case is CAS. I've had game where I faced jagdtiger and even that couldn't take down my front line. I had 2 KV2's protecting against schrecks (and other infantry). In front of those I had few AT guns (I think 2 zis and one stolen pak) and for final touch I still had couple of vetted T34's.

So I don't think it needs rework. It just requires combination of good early game and good map for it. (Or atleast don't remove it, I still like to use it 1 game out of ~5 games :D )
7 May 2015, 08:21 AM

Yeah Kv-2 can certainly be beastly, they seem to fire so often with vet 3!

But industry CAN be very very effective in 4v4 in another way, go for SU85s and KV8s. On open maps its brutal. Only weakness is early on until the 1st KV8. But you could go T3 first, or just rely on team mates. Also you can throw a katy into the mix later if you need it.
7 May 2015, 23:48 PM
Patrion 28

industry is only effective for ~~5 minutes mid-game if the game was even or already in your favor. after those 5 minutes it's a HUGE liability that will probably cost you the game, especially if any teammates also went with a gimmick strat.
8 May 2015, 01:19 AM

i was roflstomped as OKW by someone using the soviet community defense doctrine earlier last month. that M42 is great as a spotter for a zis gun going after trucks.

and i'm pretty sure i'd never seen those mines before. nasty.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★