Login

russian armor

M1 75mm Pack Howitzer vs mortar teams

1 May 2015, 20:16 PM

It seems like the howitzer always loses vs the mortar team (e.g ostheer) due to its apparently lower accuracy. Theoretically it could easily wipe the mortar team with a lucky shot, but I have never seen it shoot remotely accurately to perform something like that.

Is the mortar team suppose to be a more accurate form of artillery, even though both have pretty much the same range?
1 May 2015, 20:17 PM

The pack howitzer is terrible

Don't use it.

Even the LeiG is better and that is still fairly meh.
1 May 2015, 20:20 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

If you use it like a direct firing zis barrage the howitzer is much better but if you use it as a mortar or long range howitzer then it will fail most of the time
1 May 2015, 20:23 PM

Dude, bull. The Pack Howie is a cornerstone of many of my US builds and the best non doctrinal way to deal with campy Axis play. Will almost always pay for itself if well utilised. When you start an infantry engagement, keep the Pack Howie behind your rifles and actually a-move with it, just be mindful of it once you have to retreat your inf screen.
1 May 2015, 20:26 PM

The pack howitzer is terrible

Don't use it.

Even the LeiG is better and that is still fairly meh.

The Pack Howitzer has way better AoE which is what you want for an artillery piece. The LeiG can hit almost right next to a squad and not deal any suppression or damage.
1 May 2015, 21:43 PM

The Pack Howitzer has way better AoE which is what you want for an artillery piece. The LeiG can hit almost right next to a squad and not deal any suppression or damage.

It's also less accurate, has no cover for the crew, needs 3 men just to be alive, and the real kicked, it has a god awful range. And when you can't retreat being a bit harder hitting is vastly less important than not getting murdered by LMG laser beams

A vet 2 gren squad can nade over half as far as it can fire.

The barrage is more respectable but has an enormous cooldown and almost no shells in the volley.

It sees use not because it is good, but because it's the only USF indirect fire with no fuel cost. And bad indirect is better than none
1 May 2015, 22:54 PM

It's also less accurate, has no cover for the crew, needs 3 men just to be alive, and the real kicked, it has a god awful range. And when you can't retreat being a bit harder hitting is vastly less important than not getting murdered by LMG laser beams

A vet 2 gren squad can nade over half as far as it can fire.

The barrage is more respectable but has an enormous cooldown and almost no shells in the volley.

It sees use not because it is good, but because it's the only USF indirect fire with no fuel cost. And bad indirect is better than none

Uh, the LeiG can't retreat, doesn't get cover. The range on the LeiG isn't greater than the Pak either.

The barrage on the LeiG is literally useless, it's worse than the auto fire. I would rather have a barrage with a long cool down that did something than one that makes you gardening worse off.

And the AoE is everything when you need to hit something to do damage or suppress it. Iv had multiple games were the LeiG has hit right next to enemy squads and done literally no damage or suppression.
1 May 2015, 22:56 PM
Patrion 28

the autofire range on the leig is 100, the pack howitzer is 60. they both have a 100 range barrage but the pack barrage is such shit it's not worth talking about. the leig barrage isn't any great shakes either.

EDIT: mirage is right, i got the ranges wrong by 20 relic-meters.
1 May 2015, 23:23 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Pack howie has 80 range in its standard attack, 120 range on its non-vetted barrage. Leig has 120 for both its attack and barrage range.

Both WFA guns are not mortars, though. They are essentially zis guns that can only fire barrage rounds which puts them more in the direct fire role of blasting infantry. Their rounds take forever to travel over obstacles when firing high angled rounds while their direct fire is relatively quick, though obviously not as fast as they were when WFA first came out.

I personally prefer the pack howitzer much more than the Leig simply due to aoe and its kill radius. Yes it's easier to decrew, but neither units should be getting blasted even when working at the front unless they're flanked. This also means the pack howitzer vets up faster than the Leig which I can rarely even get to its higher level of vet.
1 May 2015, 23:52 PM

Any time I make a Pack Howitzer, I realize I've gone Captain and spent 400 more manpower on something that gets overrun like nobody's business because chances are I don't have any kind of crowd control from the LT tier.

No mines, no MGs, no infantry unit with stock BARs.

If I have gone LT and then gone captain for Pack Howitzers, it's usually already way too late in the game. Plus I'd be floating a ton of fuel by that point.
2 May 2015, 00:01 AM

don't fret, I hear they buffed the mortar HT, I'm sure its a beast now.

:snfPeter:
2 May 2015, 00:02 AM
Patrion 28

not enough bartons :snfBarton::snfBarton::snfBarton:

even though he has nothing to do with it.
2 May 2015, 00:09 AM

2 May 2015, 00:12 AM

I happen to be a big fan of the LeiG in the right situations.

Crossing in the woods, for example.

I admit the pack has some draws, but the barrage range is just pathetic, IMO. Any time the front line shifts a half inch you need to be worrying about your pack getting swiped, or you resign to only ever using it as a barrage tool and MP bleed.

The LeiG is infinitely more useful because I can select out priority targets as and when I need, but I also can leave it to just take long range fire support shots when I need to pay close attention to infantry fights on the front.

Seriously, though. USF Mortar HT. So much better.
2 May 2015, 00:27 AM

don't fret, I hear they buffed the mortar HT, I'm sure its a beast now.

:snfPeter:

It's literally the most accurate mortar in the game and comes with white phosphorous rounds that make incendiary barrage look pathetic.

2 May 2015, 02:57 AM

It's literally the most accurate mortar in the game and comes with white phosphorous rounds that make incendiary barrage look pathetic.

An acceptable apology for how badly Relic fucked up US artillery.
2 May 2015, 04:36 AM
Donator 11

Instead of wasting manpower on getting the pack you're better off getting a fuel cache for M21 or M8A1 for actual results
2 May 2015, 04:45 AM
Patrion 27

Not one of these threads again :P

Pack Howitzer EXCELS vs. mortars and ISG when using its HE barrage.

It's half anti-blob tool and half anti-tank. Both of my screenshots are from before the patch that gave the pack and isg suppression so you can imagine how happy I am with it.
2 May 2015, 07:08 AM

the Ost MHT have fire rate, the US MHT have accuracy.

the US MHT also have 80 more hp, but it's still a 2x most of the time.
2 May 2015, 09:52 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Moved to COH2 Gameplay
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak