Login

russian armor

Do you think this alpha should be in waves?

29 Apr 2015, 23:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2015, 16:31 PMRMMLz

... as we know that relic mostly cares about their data analysis, and even with that they take their time to implement changes.

Nope, they don't care. Really, they don't.
29 Apr 2015, 23:38 PM

Being a part of an alpha comes with the expectation that you are actively working to bug test, stress test and otherwise contribute to development. Of course not everyone does, but that's the intention behind it.

It's a very light part time job, but rather than get paid you get to see content earlier than normal.

If anybody thinks they 'should' have been in or it's somehow 'unfair' they're not they're a self entitled piece of pudding in the garden.

Like we deduced before, this is an issue between the haves and the have nots. What made the situation worse is that Relic teased the whole community about "new content", at least last year with the WFA alpha everyone knew what was being worked on, only the testers knew the nit and grit of it all.

But come May 5th at this point in time, half the community is in on the secret and the other half flying blind. Coming out from a eight month multiplayer developing hiatus and telling only half of the community is a joke. This community is small, passionate, and love this game, and relic can't leave half out of it, everyone needs to be included someway even if it doesn't necessarily mean more tests. For the people in the test, you should care on what the people that didn't get in receive.

It comes down to do you want half the community feeling alone in the dark or would you want everyone to be able to chip in their two cents, even if they are going off info from just the announcement?
29 Apr 2015, 23:39 PM

There should be some sort of wave system, everyone on these forums and CoH.com deserve the chance to test this before the general public. Why? Because this community is the one through bad and good stuck with it, its not much to ask for Relic to toss a bone to its loyal community, probably one of the most loyal communities I have seen during my gaming experience.

No. Stop. Self entitlement levels peaking at maximum cringe.

Nobody 'deserves' a chance to get to play an unreleased product early just because they enjoy the game it's based on. The people that got in didn't 'deserve' it and nor do the people that did not.

Relic just needs some more people to stress test the alpha build and no amount of cherry picking could EVER be deemed impartial.

We got RNG'd, possibly with some input based on form answers. For picking our some people to essentially put more load onto an alpha build than Relic can manage, this is exactly how things should be done.

This isn't about the players, it's bot about the game, it's not about 'a split in the community'.

Literally, relic needs people using their alpha so they know what breaks when it gets used. That's why an alpha even exists. There's absolutely no other weight attributed to their decision that isn't fabricated by people imagining some sort of fictional snub or injustice to try and avoid facing the reality that they didn't get a thing they would have kinda liked to have but have no right to.
29 Apr 2015, 23:44 PM

No. Stop. Self entitlement levels peaking at maximum cringe.

Nobody 'deserves' a chance to get to play an unreleased product early just because they enjoy the game it's based on. The people that got in didn't 'deserve' it and nor do the people that did not.

Relic just needs some more people to stress test the alpha build and no amount of cherry picking could EVER be deemed impartial.

We got RNG'd, possibly with some input based on form answers. For picking our some people to essentially put more load onto an alpha build than Relic can manage, this is exactly how things should be done.

This isn't about the players, it's bot about the game, it's not about 'a split in the community'.

Literally, relic needs people using their alpha so they know what breaks when it gets used. That's why an alpha even exists. There's absolutely no other weight attributed to their decision that isn't fabricated by people imagining some sort of fictional snub or injustice to try and avoid facing the reality that they didn't get a thing they would have kinda liked to have but have no right to.

Then why lie about a "thorough application selection process"? Be truthful about it. At least they would have been straight with it and people would have respected it more. Its also not self entitlement, but based on some of the people saying that they got in, it sounds like some that made it support that claim. It can't be a one way street. But this could all be avoided if they lighten up the Cold War style secrecy NDA and let those who didn't make it know what is going on. Like I said before, call me bitter, I really don't care. And yes there is a divide in the community over this subject, the poll pretty much proves it.
29 Apr 2015, 23:49 PM

Then why lie about a "thorough application selection process"? Be truthful about it. At least they would have been straight with it and people would have respected it more. Its also not self entitlement, but based on some of the people saying that they got in, it sounds like they support that claim. It can't be a one way street. But this could all be avoided if they drop that Cold War style secrecy NDA and let those who didn't make it know what is going on.

Allocating ratios of players based on forms and hitting an RNG button is a selection process.

You just imagined something else and assume Relic should adhere to your vision.

They did not.

Not their problem.

As for the NDA, again, standard stuff. Alpha builds of games are not commonly discussed outside press releases. Admittedly, Relic's press releases are not great, but the NDA will always be there. Hopefully they'll start actually giving their community representation some more information to divulge in the future but that's not exactly a huge issue.

And yes. It absolutely is self entitlement to assume Relic should be pandering to your wants for a system where you get into the Alpha because you talk on the forums a bit. Which paraphrasing exactly the point you made about the community in a less flattering way.
29 Apr 2015, 23:54 PM

Allocating ratios of players based on forms and hitting an RNG button is a selection process.

You just imagined something else and assume Relic should adhere to your vision.

They did not.

Not their problem.

As for the NDA, again, standard stuff. Alpha builds of games are not commonly discussed outside press releases. Admittedly, Relic's press releases are not great, but the NDA will always be there. Hopefully they'll start actually giving their community representation some more information to divulge in the future but that's not exactly a huge issue.

And yes. It absolutely is self entitlement to assume Relic should be pandering to your wants for a system where you get into the Alpha because you talk on the forums a bit. Which paraphrasing exactly the point you made about the community in a less flattering way.

So your basically telling me to give Relic a free pass on over hyping something, lying about the selection process, then expect nothing to happen when they disappoint half of their community? Can't tell if your talking about EA or Relic. I love Relic, great people and great devlopers, one of the best smaller major game developers, and the community manager Cynthia tries her hardest to keep everyone happy. The first CoH has some of my most fond memories as a child. But eventually someone has to put their foot down and call them on the BS.

I'm pointing out the obvious not only on my behalf, but for the community as a whole, everyone here is fantastic. It may be entitlement, but most believe that if we survived the crap and trusted relic would do better (and they have come a long way :) ), we all should be shown some appreciation for supporting them every step of the way.

Most of the people that made the cut are being humble about it, but there are still going to be the minority that acts like an ass that got in and say they were entitled to a spot. (My good friend being one of them)-_-
30 Apr 2015, 01:48 AM
Patrion 14

no. they should handpick them
30 Apr 2015, 01:54 AM

So your basically telling me to give Relic a free pass on over hyping something, lying about the selection process, then expect nothing to happen when they disappoint half of their community? Can't tell if your talking about EA or Relic. I love Relic, great people and great devlopers, one of the best smaller major game developers, and the community manager Cynthia tries her hardest to keep everyone happy. The first CoH has some of my most fond memories as a child. But eventually someone has to put their foot down and call them on the BS.

I'm pointing out the obvious not only on my behalf, but for the community as a whole, everyone here is fantastic. It may be entitlement, but most believe that if we survived the crap and trusted relic would do better (and they have come a long way :) ), we all should be shown some appreciation for supporting them every step of the way.

Most of the people that made the cut are being humble about it, but there are still going to be the minority that acts like an ass that got in and say they were entitled to a spot. (My good friend being one of them)-_-

Who says they lied about their selection process? Did they even ever reveal their selection process? To my knowledge, no. They did not. Therefore you absolutely cannot say that they lied about their selection process.

They asked us to fill out a short application. Presumably they used that data in combination with some algorithm to select a pool of candidates that fit their general model of our community. That seems like the best way to test to me.

Invite only top players? Majority of the community is mad, and the game becomes too focused on "ZOMG ESPORTS B O I S" and anything the casual players might be interested in will get snubbed.

Invite people completely randomly? Might not get a proper distribution to reflect your actual player base.

Invite only casuals? Opposite of inviting only top players.

In order to get good feedback, Relic needs to gather a pool of testers as statistically akin to their community as possible. I believe that was the point of their survey.

Maybe I'm totally wrong about that (I obviously do not work for Relic, only they could answer your question on the ways in which their application data was used), but I don't think I am.

Brachiaraidos is right though. People are getting way too worked up about this, and it reflects badly on the community as a whole. We've been begging Relic to communicate and work more openly with the community, so they do, and how does the community respond? Not well...

The underlying fact here is that the entire point of this alpha is NOT to let some small "lucky" minority get to play with all the cool shiny new toys so that they can rub it in their friend's faces... to think or suggest that Relic would pull something like that is silly. They asked for our help identifying bugs and giving our feedback on what we like about the new content so that ultimately, together, that content can be released to the community as a whole and everyone benefit from their hard work - as well as ours.

If you really want Relic to keep taking strides towards the community, we have to meet them halfway. If every time they try and work with us, there is a major backlash because not everyone who wanted to help them test got to help them... well, I don't think they'd keep doing these closed alphas/betas. I know I wouldn't if I were them. The more we work with them, without giving them massive amounts of grief, the more they'll be willing to continue working with us. And who says you won't get in on whatever their next invite-only alpha/beta is while you friend has to sit on the sidelines?

Everyone will get to have fun with the new content when it is released, just be patient.

TLDR - Honestly it sounds like you're just upset that your friend got in while you didn't. They only invited a select number of people for a reason, it's an alpha - not a pre-release. And no community member should get special treatment just because of their name. Everyone should have a fair shot. I sincerely wish you better luck in the future Jackie.

Just my 2 cents.
30 Apr 2015, 02:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2015, 01:54 AMCieZ

Who says they lied about their selection process? Did they even ever reveal their selection process? To my knowledge, no. They did not. Therefore you absolutely cannot say that they lied about their selection process.

They asked us to fill out a short application. Presumably they used that data in combination with some algorithm to select a pool of candidates that fit their general model of our community. That seems like the best way to test to me.

Invite only top players? Majority of the community is mad, and the game becomes too focused on "ZOMG ESPORTS B O I S" and anything the casual players might be interested in will get snubbed.

Invite people completely randomly? Might not get a proper distribution to reflect your actual player base.

Invite only casuals? Opposite of inviting only top players.

In order to get good feedback, Relic needs to gather a pool of testers as statistically akin to their community as possible. I believe that was the point of their survey.

Maybe I'm totally wrong about that (I obviously do not work for Relic, only they could answer your question on the ways in which their application data was used), but I don't think I am.

Brachiaraidos is right though. People are getting way too worked up about this, and it reflects badly on the community as a whole. We've been begging Relic to communicate and work more openly with the community, so they do, and how does the community respond? Not well...

The underlying fact here is that the entire point of this alpha is NOT to let some small "lucky" minority get to play with all the cool shiny new toys so that they can rub it in their friend's faces... to think or suggest that Relic would pull something like that is silly. They asked for our help identifying bugs and giving our feedback on what we like about the new content so that ultimately, together, that content can be released to the community as a whole and everyone benefit from their hard work - as well as ours.

If you really want Relic to keep taking strides towards the community, we have to meet them halfway. If every time they try and work with us, there is a major backlash because not everyone who wanted to help them test got to help them... well, I don't think they'd keep doing these closed alphas/betas. I know I wouldn't if I were them. The more we work with them, without giving them massive amounts of grief, the more they'll be willing to continue working with us. And who says you won't get in on whatever their next invite-only alpha/beta is while you friend has to sit on the sidelines?

Everyone will get to have fun with the new content when it is released, just be patient.

TLDR - Honestly it sounds like you're just upset that your friend got in while you didn't. They only invited a select number of people for a reason, it's an alpha - not a pre-release. And no community member should get special treatment just because of their name. Everyone should have a fair shot. I sincerely wish you better luck in the future Jackie.

Just my 2 cents.

See I'm not really pissed about being in this one, I was in the one for WFA and had a blast, I'm not a spiteful or jealous person.

I'm not calling Relic liars, Brachiaraidos said that they must of selected through RNG, and I questioned it. Do I think they lied about it? Not necessarily, and Cynthia did try her best to be diplomatic about breaking the news to those who didn't make it.

My friend on the other hand is an ass, but that is his personality. He's always been that way the last twenty years I've known him.:D But on topic: other people I know casually have expressed that they felt entitled and they got in. So making the argument about us that didn't make it claiming we are entitled is not a fair argument, especially when there are those among the ranks of who made it that feel like they were entitled.

As for the meeting Relic halfway, I totally agree. But they could be a little more open with the whole community, tell us what is being tested and still be able to run the alpha at the same time. I do agree that it is BS for all the crap the receive, but I can see the gripe of those who didn't make it. You have to understand that the community went eight months without any new multiplayer content besides the occasional maps being added and the bulletins from AA, and not be disappointed when they tease new stuff and off the bat only half get in on it.

All in all, I'm a good sport about it. I just feel that Relic and the community could have gone about this differently and none of this garbage would have occurred. Everyone should be supporting each other, but this was a good way to divide a passionate community who were eager to jump on in. Over hyping and no idea what is going on are the two culprits.

30 Apr 2015, 02:28 AM

See I'm not really pissed about being in this one, I was in the one for WFA and had a blast, I'm not a spiteful or jealous person.

I'm not calling Relic liars, Brachiaraidos said that they must of selected through RNG, and I questioned it. Do I think they lied about it? Not necessarily, and Cynthia did try her best to be diplomatic about breaking the news to those who didn't make it.

My friend on the other hand is an ass, but that is his personality. He's always been that way the last twenty years I've known him.:D But on topic: other people I know casually have expressed that they felt entitled and they got in. So making the argument about us that didn't make it claiming we are entitled is not a fair argument, especially when there are those among the ranks of who made it that feel like they were entitled.

As for the meeting Relic halfway, I totally agree. But they could be a little more open with the whole community, tell us what is being tested and still be able to run the alpha at the same time.I do agree that it is BS for all the crap the receive, but I can see the gripe of those who didn't make it. You have to understand that the community went eight months without any new multiplayer content besides the occasional maps being added and the bulletins from AA, and not be disappointed when they tease new stuff and off the bat only have get in on it.

All in all, I'm a good sport about it. I just feel that Relic and the community could have gone about this differently and none of this garbage would have occurred. Everyone should be supporting each other, but this was a good way to divide a passionate community who were eager to jump on in. Over hyping and no idea what is going on are the two culprits.

I'm curious, who got in and felt entitled? Not trying to suggest that you're not telling the truth, just interested to see who would act that way.

Glad to hear that you're a good sport about it though. The community needs more people like you. +1 sir.
30 Apr 2015, 02:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2015, 02:28 AMCieZ

I'm curious, who got in and felt entitled? Not trying to suggest that you're not telling the truth, just interested to see who would act that way.

Glad to hear that you're a good sport about it though. The community needs more people like you. +1 sir.

Trust me, the drama that it created among my friends here at college was not worth it.-_-
30 Apr 2015, 02:44 AM

That being said, should there be an overhaul of their application process? More options and more items to distinguish ourselves would work better in the long run. I feel too many people checked off the same criteria, in what way can it be done so it is fair if multiple people are the same on paper? (I'm guessing thats why they needed the steam id#, I may be wrong though) Did using multiple emails further people's chances of getting in? And should there be a way for people to fill in for those who don't even play the alpha at all or those who play for a limited time and figure out that this isn't for them?

But to be fair, congratulations to those who did get selected. :) Play the hell out of it, push it to the breaking point, make sure every bug, glitch, and balance issue is addressed. Im counting on you guys to make sure this new content is spectacular! Hopefully Relic will let us in on the secret on the 5th of May as well. :D
30 Apr 2015, 04:18 AM

Not going to name names, but I've seen several high profile people complain about not getting in and irritated that a lot of no name people or low level players did. Like they're upset that Relic cares about low-tier players and salty over not being personally included.
30 Apr 2015, 04:31 AM

Not going to name names, but I've seen several high profile people complain about not getting in and irritated that a lot of no name people or low level players did. Like they're upset that Relic cares about low-tier players and salty over not being personally included.

It was a recipe for disaster, and it couldn't really be avoided. A lot of community members who didn't make it are not taking this well, this would die down quicker if Relic tells the rest of the community on what is being worked on in alpha. Problem is they are too worried about the major problems being leaked, understandable, they should show more faith knowing that the majority of the community is intelligent enough to know that it is only an alpha and that the final product will be better.
30 Apr 2015, 06:41 AM

There is no way they don't announce it before may 5. On may 6 the entire community will know exactly what is being tested. there are far too many people in the alpha for there to be no leaks. They surely aren't foolish enough to try to keep it under wraps. I'm sure people tried to get their alt accounts in as well and will leak as their alt so they can still play.

But honestly guys, we all know what it is. nigo has been combing through stuff for months. code wouldnt appear in the game unless there is some intended use for it at some point in the future. sometimes things get scrapped, but something as large as this isnt going the way of urban panzergrens or not one step back. It's crappy people didn't get in, but it's to be expected.

Personally I'm glad they didnt just let the top XX% people in because that isn't a good representation. you need some scrubs in there too. You need 1v1 pros and 4v4 hos. You need some axis fanbois and allied fanbois. That better represents the community.

It is odd that supposedly guys who dont play got in. They surely want active players.
30 Apr 2015, 07:32 AM
Senior Editor Badge

I've read that there's a lot of questioning about the steam id request on the form. Besides looking at ladder ranks, they could also look at this like campaign and theater of war play time on your steam profile.

I think they would want a mix of people who just play AI with their friends. For all we know this new faction has a campaign, too.

That being said, as was stated before, nobody is ever entitled to anything. Shit just happens, sometimes you influence how it happens, sometimes you don't. While playing new shit is always fun, when it comes down to it, we'll all be pissing and moaning about imbalanced shit a month after the new stuff gets released.

I'm excited to be in this alpha. I was turned down for the WFA alpha, but hey, that's fine. I'm not sad because of it. I moved on. No more butthurt.

Besides, I'll be able to play the alpha in the Iberian peninsula near the ocean when I go on vacation with my terribly dysfunctional family. Doesn't that sound like a fun time? be happy for me guys.

Be happy for everyone who got in alpha. They are representing you in the future via the data we provide and the feedback we give Relic.

Good day.
30 Apr 2015, 07:37 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Small Names, Big Egos...
30 Apr 2015, 07:38 AM
Honorary Member Badge

the majority of the community is intelligent enough

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
30 Apr 2015, 07:45 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Look, I was trying to keep it pc. ;)
30 Apr 2015, 08:26 AM

There is no way they don't announce it before may 5. On may 6 the entire community will know exactly what is being tested. there are far too many people in the alpha for there to be no leaks. They surely aren't foolish enough to try to keep it under wraps. I'm sure people tried to get their alt accounts in as well and will leak as their alt so they can still play.

I don't know. WFA held on for quite a long time without people knowing much. Not to mention that there will likely be plenty of false information going around to throw the community off of what is real and what isn't.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Korea, Republic Of 4
Germany 869
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak