Login

russian armor

Relic pls...No Steam Premium mods.

24 Apr 2015, 16:16 PM

Seeing how this game has evolved, I can't say I'd be surprised if relic decided to get on board.
If they do however, I'll be done legitimately.
This would be a slap in the face to the community in my opinion.

I sincerely hope they think about the community's perception. Most of the people who play are the same people who've been supporting coh2 since day one, not many NEW players...with that in mind, charging them for mods that users make for the community is a low blow.

Reading the workshop agreement; you give up any rights to your mod at the sole discretion of valve and the publisher. Sections 2, 5, and 6 in particular give ultimate control over any pricing to valve and the publisher, as they can modify the price (including distribute it for free with no compensation to the creator) at their will. They can also choose to bundle mods to sell, assigning the worth of the elements of the mod at their discretion.

So even if a modder does not want to charge, steam/relic would be able to change that.
Say a mod is so good it because instantly popular, why wouldn't steam/relic want to profit off of it? the modder would have no choice.

ALL IN ALL - mods aren't considered mods anymore and they're considered 3rd party DLC. Or Indy DLC, whichever term you prefer.
24 Apr 2015, 16:24 PM

You do realize that it has been this way for long while? When you mod a game the game you are modding has exclusive rights because you are using THIER product. If you really like your product do what the DayZ team did....turned their mod into a stand alone game :)
24 Apr 2015, 16:44 PM
24 Apr 2015, 16:50 PM

You do realize that it has been this way for long while? When you mod a game the game you are modding has exclusive rights because you are using THIER product. If you really like your product do what the DayZ team did....turned their mod into a stand alone game :)

Imagine the circle jerk.

Arma 2 comes out
Years later it has barely any sales
Modders make Dayz for 20$
People buy Arma 2 for 20$ then DayZ for 20$.
Arma 2 because popular again. (this has nothing to do aside from the fact that a modder did a good job)
Arma 2 devs make money off Arma 2
Arma 2 devs make 7-10$ off the dayz mod. (Arma 2 devs did NOTHING to deserve these funds but here we are...)
They decide to make a standalone dayz
Dayz released as standalone for 29.99$ as alpha
then beta
then still beta...
then still beta......
Then mods for DayZ and we keep going and going

Hux
24 Apr 2015, 17:16 PM
Patrion 14

Is there any definition in all this new user generated content business that clearly defines when a game stops being a mod and starts being a standalone game? (a la DayZ)
24 Apr 2015, 17:17 PM

And so begin the dark ages of steam
24 Apr 2015, 17:22 PM
Patrion 28

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2015, 17:16 PMHux
Is there any definition in all this new user generated content business that clearly defines when a game stops being a mod and starts being a standalone game? (a la DayZ)

when it is standalone it's a game. when it's not it's either a mod or an expansion or DLC or a patch.
Hux
24 Apr 2015, 17:40 PM
Patrion 14

So a standalone expansion is not an expansion at all, its actually a game?

Even if it is (for this argument's sake) just a new campaign built within an existing game?
24 Apr 2015, 17:49 PM
Patrion 28

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2015, 17:40 PMHux
So a standalone expansion is not an expansion at all, its actually a game?

Even if it is (for this argument's sake) just a new campaign built within an existing game?

tough call as that's really blurring the lines. what those are is basically an expansion that you don't have to own the base game to play. not really sure how to classify those (my inclination is to say expansion because while they don't REQUIRE the base game, they severely limit your options without it.

*shrug* call it what you will.
Hux
24 Apr 2015, 17:52 PM
Patrion 14

tough call as that's really blurring the lines. what those are is basically an expansion that you don't have to own the base game to play. not really sure how to classify those (my inclination is to say expansion because while they don't REQUIRE the base game, they severely limit your options without it.

*shrug* call it what you will.

I agree. I just wondered if, with all this Valve mod stuff blowing up, there had been any clearer demarcation between the different 'types' of DLC/mods/expansions/standalone expansions etc?

probably not, just wondered.
24 Apr 2015, 19:32 PM

I really doubt Relic/Steam can force someone to sell their mod for profit if they don't want to.
27 Apr 2015, 12:34 PM

I really doubt Relic/Steam can force someone to sell their mod for profit if they don't want to.

They can over their servers but realistically they wouldn't and the mod creator could host it elsewhere.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★