Login

russian armor

Coh2 Ranking

2 Jun 2013, 04:03 AM

Yeah, imo they should delay the game until they get all these features in :/
2 Jun 2013, 04:20 AM

There is a matchmaking ranking already present, I forget how to find it but its there... so there not being a leader board is separate from there not being skill-based matchmaking.
2 Jun 2013, 06:56 AM

It is fucking infuriating. This game has so much potential... I guess shit happens when you don't have the time or resources of Blizzard/Valve.
2 Jun 2013, 08:49 AM

The game SHOULD have a strong and well implemented ranking system. No doubt about it. Imagine Olimpics with no leader and all receving a prize for participation. This is stupid. Competition is in human nature since allways, and ranking people to their skills is a strong incentive to play and to make more enjoyable/desirable a game to play. It all depends on Relic how this features will be implemented so things like hacks for stats ( maphack, drophack, bug abuse, trivial language all due to high desire to obtain no matter what a false upper rank position) will be a thing of the past. Ipse dixit!
2 Jun 2013, 09:40 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

np guys, I'm stressing Quinn whenever I can to get those stuff ingame ASAP lulz :D
2 Jun 2013, 12:27 PM

Game developers these days....
2 Jun 2013, 13:14 PM

I hope that they don't will go to implement ranking system, IMHO the game must be play for fun and not play for stats lol. Not to mention all possible hacks/cheats for this.
2 Jun 2013, 14:53 PM

Lol just because you don't like to play competitively....

Maybe we can just do away with the MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA, UFC, and MLS too so that the people that aren't recruited into these leagues can feel better about themselves. And everyone at school should be graded on attendance, how dare someone be marked higher for their merit.

2 Jun 2013, 15:19 PM

casual play and competitive play are not mutually exclusive even though everyone seems to think so. let the competitive people have what they want, it wont destroy the campaign or comp stomping
2 Jun 2013, 15:33 PM
Benefactor 115

ridiculous hyperbole

ladders are flawed for many reasons, you only play one game compared to the fairer best of three matches in a tournament.

you can dodge certain players by choosing when you want to play.

a good rated auto match is a great tool for practising but ladders are a piece of shit and as a community we should be moving away from the notion that they are of any worth.

Tournaments are better as are properly scheduled leagues where every player will have to play each other at least once.

fyi I have never used ladder positions to seed people, I take into account past performances and I watch a ton of replays, streams and vods. The old ladders were never of any use to me.

However I understand that people want them and there's no harm in having them, what I do want is people to put less onus on them, preferably none.
2 Jun 2013, 15:40 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

i cant beleive you actually beleive that about ladders ipkai, wow
2 Jun 2013, 15:45 PM
Benefactor 115

I don't expect many people to understand, most people are perfectly content with having a ladder as their only competitive outlet.

The people that want more than just a ladder are unfortunately in the minority of a niche community.
2 Jun 2013, 15:57 PM

I don't see how anyone could read IpKai's post and not understand why ladders are inferior methods of determining player skill. Let me provide an anecdotal example:

I had, for a time, two accounts in vCoh. One account I used when I felt like playing serious; I only played in the morning when I was alert and sober. It was evening in western Europe when I played, and I got about an 8:1 W/L ratio, and faced a fair amount of the top tier players.

My other account I only used when I was drunk, which was (usually) at night. The only people awake were Americans/Canucks/Brasilians/Chinese guys, and none of them were very good. I got a 20:1 ratio on that account, despite not ever playing sober while using it.

Also, while I won't name names, I'm sure most of you all know those guys who were consistently level 17+ or front page of the leaderboard, yet never got even close to winning a tournament.
2 Jun 2013, 16:06 PM

I don't see how anyone could read IpKai's post and not understand why ladders are inferior methods of determining player skill. Let me provide an anecdotal example:

I had, for a time, two accounts in vCoh. One account I used when I felt like playing serious; I only played in the morning when I was alert and sober. It was evening in western Europe when I played, and I got about an 8:1 W/L ratio, and faced a fair amount of the top tier players.

My other account I only used when I was drunk, which was (usually) at night. The only people awake were Americans/Canucks/Brasilians/Chinese guys, and none of them were very good. I got a 20:1 ratio on that account, despite not ever playing sober while using it.

Also, while I won't name names, I'm sure most of you all know those guys who were consistently level 17+ or front page of the leaderboard, yet never got even close to winning a tournament.

+1
2 Jun 2013, 16:31 PM
Senior Caster Badge

I think it would actually be pretty funny if no ladder = few or no drophackers.
2 Jun 2013, 16:36 PM

Tournaments are more exciting to watch with so much importance being placed on a few games opposed to something like the MLB reg season, but they aren't the perfect measure of the "best" either.

1) Luck usually doesn't balance out over such a short period of time, whether it be coincidence or RNG dice rolls. Remember that ridiculous Croc Sherman Sepha had in SNF? Just imagine if that bullshit decided the last game of the finals (I'm sure stuff like that does happen pretty often, I just couldn't think of a better example)
2) Playing better on a given day doesn't mean someone is better overall, just better on that day. The Patriots were by far the best team in the 2007 NFL season winning every game until the Super Bowl, but the Giants outplayed them that day after barely even making the playoffs.

Nobody is saying that ladder position= world rank, but a combination of level, W/L ratio and opponents beaten gives you a pretty decent idea how good someone is. Yesterday SlimShady was saying that he's never entered a tournament, but he wins about 90% of his games and beats some of the people that have placed well in tournaments, so ladder/auto isn't as useless as some people think it is.
2 Jun 2013, 16:45 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

Robust unhacked ladder + all other esport tournament related things is obviously the goal

But ladders have to be part of the equation
2 Jun 2013, 17:15 PM

@basilone: you make a good point about consistency, but the way the ladder worked in CoH 1 didn't show that at all. I suppose it could work if the #5 player has to beat #1-#4 to gain points.
2 Jun 2013, 17:40 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

there were actually two vcoh ladders, they changed it with a patch, so everyone could get a higher lvl. I remember when my mate Tricky got lvl 11 when pos 140, that was like 2009. But the changed ladder made getting into the top much easier if i remember correctly, just needed to spam games.
2 Jun 2013, 17:56 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

This was pretty much how COH ladder worked before it got changed, and it worked pretty well if you ask me (when having a lvl10 in 1vs1 meant something)

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?182923-12azor-s-Explaination-of-the-Ranking-and-Automatch-Systems

Make it like it was before and ladder will mean something in COH2 :)
I know it would be a punishing ladder for a lot of players, but it will be a fair ladder where top players will be matched vs top players and where a game spammer cannot reach top positions if he is not also a good player ;)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 8
Germany 847
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak