Login

russian armor

The Mortar Thread

9 Apr 2015, 14:44 PM

Well Soviet mortars are great because they have the emazing "precision strike" wich can one shot german weapon teams. Even 2016 mortars cant do stuff like that :O

120mm was nerft, but still wiping stuff pre patch.
9 Apr 2015, 15:29 PM

And how you know that if you may not even have a single game as SU, not to mention a game with 120?

________

Double OST mortar is just amazing, that rate of fire...

Today I had 2v2 on Trois-Points.

I made 2 of them. After 10-13mins of the field they had 28kills. Quite good.
Battle position? Pff.. Literally 10secs with double mortar and it's gone.
Blob? Most welcome.

While 120 is the best, it costs 400, almost same price Ost needs to pay for two mortars.
If I had to choose between two mortars and one 120, I would go for 2 OST, they are amazing.

Yes, they are amazing, until soviet indirect fire units get that bullshit,..called... precision strike, or just katyusha barrage the mortar and voilá.
9 Apr 2015, 15:59 PM

Yes, they are amazing, until soviet indirect fire units get that bullshit,..called... precision strike, or just katyusha barrage the mortar and voilá.

Just today, the game I mentioned, there were 120 and Katy. All I needed was one PzGrens squad to sneak behind, kill Katy with grenade and small fire, wipe 120 and steal it.

So it's not like your mortars must die to Katy and 120. You can prevent it with many ways.
9 Apr 2015, 16:01 PM

I think that the German mortar is the most cost effective one, while 120mm is the most annoying. Like it's so random, and if it lands at the wrong place it will hurt a lot.
9 Apr 2015, 16:29 PM

Just today, the game I mentioned, there were 120 and Katy. All I needed was one PzGrens squad to sneak behind, kill Katy with grenade and small fire, wipe 120 and steal it.

So it's not like your mortars must die to Katy and 120. You can prevent it with many ways.

I assume your opponent was afk?
9 Apr 2015, 17:00 PM

I assume your opponent was afk?

Nope, it was 2v2, battle in the middle VP (trois-ponts) and not everyone can react in few places at once (120 and Katy were not belong to same player).
9 Apr 2015, 17:09 PM
Developer Relic Badge

I hate facing the 120. Not only can it wipe Ostheer squads when the RNG gods feel like it, but it's very difficult to counter-battery thanks to its range unless you're actually going to use to Ost's vet 1 ability and it's incredibly difficult to wipe compared to every other indirect/gun team needing only one man with a squad of six. Only way you can do that in the mid game is a lucky bundle grenade and PGs in the retreat path which cannot be done on most maps given the 120s range and the need to not be spotted on the approach and intercepted.

Ostheer mortar's good, but it only made in certain instances because it excels at bombarding stationary units, but the Allies generally don't have the plethora of weapon teams Ost does or you're on one of those terrible urban maps and flamers are not cutting it/exploding.
9 Apr 2015, 17:10 PM

Nope, it was 2v2, battle in the middle VP (trois-ponts) and not everyone can react in few places at once (120 and Katy were not belong to same player).

So you are basing your counters around your opponents inability to react propely (in other words lack of skill) instead of a proper counter-play to their choices, great strategy right there and definitely proves your point.
9 Apr 2015, 17:13 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I hate facing the 120. Not only can it wipe Ostheer squads when the RNG gods feel like it, but it's very difficult to counter-battery thanks to its range unless you're actually going to use to Ost's vet 1 ability and it's incredibly difficult to wipe compared to every other indirect/gun team needing only one man with a squad of six.

Isn't that every Soviet weapon team aside from AT guns though?
9 Apr 2015, 17:18 PM

So you are basing your counters around your opponents inability to react propely (in other words lack of skill) instead of a proper counter-play to their choices, great strategy right there and definitely proves your point.

If you catch alone Katy behind the lines, there is nothing your opponent can do.
9 Apr 2015, 17:22 PM

If you catch alone Katy behind the lines, there is nothing your opponent can do.

Every player who doesn't Shift-move their Katy/stuka to their base is a noob.
9 Apr 2015, 17:25 PM

except move it
9 Apr 2015, 17:28 PM

except move it

Except Katy dies in a second.

It's not like he did not move it. He did, but grenade and 3-4sec of small fire is enough to kill it.
9 Apr 2015, 18:00 PM

Except Katy dies in a second.

It's not like he did not move it. He did, but grenade and 3-4sec of small fire is enough to kill it.

I understand that katy dies very fast. So does the Pwerfer. You can still see the Pgrens before they get close enough to nade and finish with small arms fire. Im just saying that its the other guys fault for leaving his katy next to an unguarded flank. If even one unit was covering the flank moving the Katy wouldnt be a problem.
9 Apr 2015, 18:06 PM

I understand that katy dies very fast. So does the Pwerfer. You can still see the Pgrens before they get close enough to nade and finish with small arms fire. Im just saying that its the other guys fault for leaving his katy next to an unguarded flank. If even one unit was covering the flank moving the Katy wouldnt be a problem.

Smal arms fire hardly bothers Panzerwerfer as it has like twice the armor. I do think that 160 health is too litle for either though.
9 Apr 2015, 18:37 PM

The amount of times I see Soviet players getting 3 or even 4 mortars (often because they lose all their other stuff) is truly aggravating, especially when they do it in 4v4s...
I often have a strong urge to rage quit if I see it happening. It is literally maddening. It just doesn't work. Sending more squads to be massacred is more helpful.
9 Apr 2015, 19:36 PM
Patrion 28

ATM I like to play LeFH as Ost because it feels that I see a lot more mortars, especially 120mm, after the march patch.
Have you ever tried LeFH in counter barrage mode? This thing is a monster.

not recently because i have to choose a doctrine that has it, have the 600mp to build it, and get it to vet1 without it being destroyed. also, the enemy has to use quite a bit of artillery and have that artillery be within my range.
9 Apr 2015, 19:41 PM

Wow that scatter difference I mean WOW thats a huge huge HUGE issue. Its almost as if that addtional teeny tiney itty bitty accuracy difference makes up for this difference:

Reload

Ost

Sov

7.5!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its so much worse its almost inconceivable.

The old Prec strike did make it worth it. The new one is less damaging then a Riflenade...

The current Prec strike is amazing for killing enemy weapons teams, and the reload is to make up for the fact you need to pick up and move more often with the Ost mortar, not to mention the Soviet mortar is much less prone to getting wiped.

They are both about equal in performance, which makes sense since they cost the same.

The 120 is in a class of it's own in terms of effectiveness.

German mortars are not to be underestimated.

Of course, but the assertion that the Soviet ones are bad is insane.
9 Apr 2015, 20:03 PM
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Apr 2015, 17:22 PMRMMLz

Every player who doesn't Shift-move their Katy/stuka to their base is a noob.

dude that was my katy and the katy was firing. I thought my random mate covering the flanks... but nope.
It was a nice flank from Australian Magic and the pgrens where hidden behind trees. My fault and I moved too close to the front. So the pgrens murdered my katy in seconds. Shit happens! :guyokay:
Just to be clear:sealed:

sincerely

noob
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment