Login

russian armor

The Mortar Thread

9 Apr 2015, 20:05 PM

Of course, but the assertion that the Soviet ones are bad is insane.

I don't think anyone here said something anything of the sort.

In my opinion the only mortar that is bad is the USF mortar halftrack. It can hit stuff now, but it has low range, a very low rate of fire, has no smoke, it does have white phosphor rounds but those are straight up worse than the incendiary barrage. Furthermore, the vet-1 ability, delayed fuse rounds, are... I'm not even sure what to say about them.
9 Apr 2015, 20:08 PM

I don't think anyone here said something anything of the sort.

In my opinion the only mortar that is bad is the USF mortar halftrack. It can hit stuff now, but it has low range, a very low rate of fire, has no smoke, it does have white phosphor rounds but those are straight up worse than the incendiary barrage. Furthermore, the vet-1 ability, delayed fuse rounds, are... I'm not even sure what to say about them.

It's accuracy is the best of any mortar in the game at the moment, and the HT itself is much more durable than the Ost Mortar HT. Iv found it to be extremely good at deterring campers because I can snipe units fairly effectively.

I think your underselling the value of white phos, it disables tanks while giving cover for you infantry and slowing enemy infantry down.
10 Apr 2015, 00:23 AM

Smal arms fire hardly bothers Panzerwerfer as it has like twice the armor. I do think that 160 health is too litle for either though.

uh no the panzerwerfer has the same armor as the katushya (both are 20). They also have the same health (160). Perhaps you're getting mixed up with the stuka HTs Health? Thats double (320) but also has only 11 armor.
10 Apr 2015, 00:27 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

uh no the panzerwerfer has the same armor as the katushya (both are 20). They also have the same health (160).

Actually, Werfer's 20/10 armour, Katyusha's 7/5.
10 Apr 2015, 02:48 AM

i say 120mm is best not only for its damage and range but also its survivability. It can live with 1 man while all other weapon team needs 2. it just happen too many time that 120mm run away from me because it still have 1 man to push the mortar.
10 Apr 2015, 02:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Apr 2015, 00:27 AMVuther

Actually, Werfer's 20/10 armour, Katyusha's 7/5.

My bad. I was totally looking at vehicle size there :p my apologies
10 Apr 2015, 03:10 AM

The current Prec strike is amazing for killing enemy weapons teams, and the reload is to make up for the fact you need to pick up and move more often with the Ost mortar, not to mention the Soviet mortar is much less prone to getting wiped.

They are both about equal in performance, which makes sense since they cost the same.

The 120 is in a class of it's own in terms of effectiveness.

Of course, but the assertion that the Soviet ones are bad is insane.

You guys need to stop living in the vanilla COH2 days. Prec strike cannot whipe full health support weapons since the last nerf to it. It used to use the 120mm AOE which is why you'll never see them in 1v1 anymore. You will see the 120 however. Since the infantry rebalance, support weapon incoming accuracy they can be whiped out just as fast as Soviets can whipe 4 man squads. The extra entities only come in handy vs HE. With having over 300% slower reload it is worse then Osts in every way. Having 30% more models doesn't make up for that piss poor reload.
10 Apr 2015, 03:24 AM

You guys need to stop living in the vanilla COH2 days. Prec strike cannot whipe full health support weapons since the last nerf to it. It used to use the 120mm AOE which is why you'll never see them in 1v1 anymore. You will see the 120 however. Since the infantry rebalance, support weapon incoming accuracy they can be whiped out just as fast as Soviets can whipe 4 man squads. The extra entities only come in handy vs HE. With having over 300% slower reload it is worse then Osts in every way. Having 30% more models doesn't make up for that piss poor reload.

I have to disagree based on my experience. PAKs and Mortars need at least 2 men, so if you put your PAK and mortar in cover, thanks to the curret cover system, they clump up and one PS is enough to wipe the the crew. Even MG crew stay close enough to each other which can get wiped by PS. I mostly use PS to counter enemy's mortar, because most of the time you can one shot them. PS is very powerful (not OP though).

Regarding the other issue, I agree. I would rather have a 4 man squad with better reload than an army of a crew with terrible reload like this. Although, as the tooltip says, the barrage becomes faster and faster as it continues (120mm).
10 Apr 2015, 03:54 AM

All the support weapon teams regardless of model amounts gets 25% more incoming accuracy, which means a Ost mortar always dies faster than a Soviet mortar and MG42 dies faster than a Maxim does.

The reload isn't that bad since you don't need to pick up and move nearly as much due to the added range and accuracy of it. The precision strike can almost always kill and decrew an enemy Ost mortar or an AT guns.

And your blatantly wrong about the AoE on it, it only has .5 less AoE on the precision strike than the 120 does.

EDIT: This is yet again another instance of people hyping up the power of Axis weapons over Allied ones. Both the small mortars are good and worth the investment, the 120 is great, both the Mortar HT's are good. Mortars are one of the few things in this game Relic did very well.
10 Apr 2015, 05:32 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

"Don't put mortars on cover", try to hide them behind houses and if you have time spread out the crew with a vehicle.

Since a couple of patches ago you can know how a squad will deploy so make use of it.

For instance, i would put an MG spread out and then build sandbags in front so as to not get it 1 shot by indirect/nades.
10 Apr 2015, 08:38 AM

I learnt yesterday that axis mortar squad smoke ability takes FOREVER to hit. I executed the command, waited a few moments with infantry, then started moving towards the VP I wanted to cap, arrived a short while later, got pinned, crawled around, got red suppressed, started losing the squad, had to retreat, ran a bit towards home...

Then the smoke hit.
10 Apr 2015, 08:56 AM
Patrion 28

yup. don't depend on it to save a tank at the last moment, use it long before you think you'll need it. plus sometimes the first shot scatters to the side and doesn't block LoS completely.

now stuka smoke on the other hand... awesome global.
10 Apr 2015, 13:59 PM

All the support weapon teams regardless of model amounts gets 25% more incoming accuracy, which means a Ost mortar always dies faster than a Soviet mortar and MG42 dies faster than a Maxim does.

The reload isn't that bad since you don't need to pick up and move nearly as much due to the added range and accuracy of it. The precision strike can almost always kill and decrew an enemy Ost mortar or an AT guns.

And your blatantly wrong about the AoE on it, it only has .5 less AoE on the precision strike than the 120 does.

EDIT: This is yet again another instance of people hyping up the power of Axis weapons over Allied ones. Both the small mortars are good and worth the investment, the 120 is great, both the Mortar HT's are good. Mortars are one of the few things in this game Relic did very well.

Please go check the DPS of Grens and Cons. Youll see that Grens are designed to DPS down 6 models as quick as Scripts are meant to DPS down 4. Thus its the same. Same amount of time to kill async balance. This was an intentional change in the first March deployment for just this type of situation.

Please tell me how .5 less AOE is the same as the 120MM lol. Your argument is blatantly wrong.

300% less ROF is a huge magnitude less. For example to dislodge units from cover or a turtle to get the same Performance of one Ost Mortar the Soviet player must build 3. That is ALOT worse Prec strike or no Prec strike.

Which is why you WILL see Ost Mortars ALOT MORE OFTEN then youll see a Soviet Mortar that isnt the 120MM.

The proof is in the pudding. If having Prec Strike on the standard mortar was as great as folks make it out to be you would see more of them.
10 Apr 2015, 14:44 PM

Please go check the DPS of Grens and Cons. Youll see that Grens are designed to DPS down 6 models as quick as Scripts are meant to DPS down 4. Thus its the same. Same amount of time to kill async balance. This was an intentional change in the first March deployment for just this type of situation.

Please tell me how .5 less AOE is the same as the 120MM lol. Your argument is blatantly wrong.

300% less ROF is a huge magnitude less. For example to dislodge units from cover or a turtle to get the same Performance of one Ost Mortar the Soviet player must build 3. That is ALOT worse Prec strike or no Prec strike.

Which is why you WILL see Ost Mortars ALOT MORE OFTEN then youll see a Soviet Mortar that isnt the 120MM.

The proof is in the pudding. If having Prec Strike on the standard mortar was as great as folks make it out to be you would see more of them.

I do see a lot of them, I use a lot of them. .5 AoE less than the highest AoE mortar in the game is fairly good! Especially considering the current bunching mechanics making 1 shots a lot easier to pull off, especially with AT guns and Mortars which always need at least 2 crewmen to use them.

I'm not talking about grens and con's dude, I'm talking about the support weapons. The Soviet ones are more durable by design thanks to all support weapons having 25% more received accuracy, but soviets are unique in the 6 crewmen aspect.

Yes the Soviet mortar fires less often, but when your a magnitude more accurate then you need to fire less shots to hit your target. I think your also forgetting that Axis in general is more campy, which makes the accuracy of the Soviet mortar important because you need it to dislodge enemy bunkers, machine gun nests, and trucks.
10 Apr 2015, 18:22 PM

I do see a lot of them, I use a lot of them. .5 AoE less than the highest AoE mortar in the game is fairly good! Especially considering the current bunching mechanics making 1 shots a lot easier to pull off, especially with AT guns and Mortars which always need at least 2 crewmen to use them.

I'm not talking about grens and con's dude, I'm talking about the support weapons. The Soviet ones are more durable by design thanks to all support weapons having 25% more received accuracy, but soviets are unique in the 6 crewmen aspect.

Yes the Soviet mortar fires less often, but when your a magnitude more accurate then you need to fire less shots to hit your target. I think your also forgetting that Axis in general is more campy, which makes the accuracy of the Soviet mortar important because you need it to dislodge enemy bunkers, machine gun nests, and trucks.

Which is perfectly safe to stand under because its terrible rate of fire LOL. You dont play 1v1. Team games all kinds of rules apply. In team games individual performance isnt as important.

Grens and Cons are the basic infantry. They are the counter to support teams. If Grens can kill 6 models JUST AS FAST as Cons can kill 4 the only thing left that applies in terms of surviability is HE. If there is a tank in your face or a mortar barraging your mortar and you havent moved it...its L2P. So the benefit of having 6 men vs the benefit of having over 300% better ROF are not equal.

10 Apr 2015, 18:59 PM

Permanently Banned
You really don't want to make mortars better. Soviet mortar has more lethal potential when it hits a squad due to 4 man squads compared to ost mortar that will probably require more than 1 shell to hit therefore it should fire faster.
10 Apr 2015, 19:01 PM

Which is perfectly safe to stand under because its terrible rate of fire LOL. You dont play 1v1. Team games all kinds of rules apply. In team games individual performance isnt as important.

Grens and Cons are the basic infantry. They are the counter to support teams. If Grens can kill 6 models JUST AS FAST as Cons can kill 4 the only thing left that applies in terms of surviability is HE. If there is a tank in your face or a mortar barraging your mortar and you havent moved it...its L2P. So the benefit of having 6 men vs the benefit of having over 300% better ROF are not equal.

If we are talking about kill power the Soviet mortar is more likely to kill more squads because it's shooting at 4 men squads more accurately so it doesn't need to fire as fast. Wether I play 1's or not it's relevant to the discussion at all.
10 Apr 2015, 19:03 PM

If we are talking about kill power the Soviet mortar is more likely to kill more squads because it's shooting at 4 men squads more accurately so it doesn't need to fire as fast. Wether I play 1's or not it's relevant to the discussion at all.

The Soviet mortar is not more accurate at all. I will say that the barage mode is prety pointless and misleading on the German mortar.
10 Apr 2015, 19:05 PM

The Soviet mortar is not more accurate at all. I will say that the barage mode is prety pointless and misleading on the German mortar.

The Soviet mortar is more accurate

Barrage for Ost mortar:

Scatter angle:
Scatter distance:

Barrage for Soviet Mortar:

Scatter angle:
Scatter distance:

Auto fire for Ost

Scatter angle:
Scatter distance:

Auto fire for Sov:

Scatter angle:
Scatter distance:
10 Apr 2015, 19:18 PM

whats the difference between scatter angle and scatter distance?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 18
Netherlands 14
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak