Login

russian armor

Is the King Tiger still worth 260 fuel?

PAGES (19)down
2 Apr 2015, 17:15 PM

When thinking about unit balance you should think about the faction as a whole instead of comparing it to other similar units. OKW has excellent support with shrek'd volks, lmg obers, the recent raketen, jp4, etc. soviets on the other hand have to rely on zis guns shocks and the su85 to help support the is2. They don't even have a mirror to the shrek, and zis guns can be quickly cleared by obers.

The KT shouldn't be a unit that wins the tame on its own, but rather helps to win the game with the rest of the army.

I agree with your post, but the KT's issue is that getting it almost always prevents you from having all those things like the JPIV to support it. The KT by no margin is a bad tank now or useless, but it's roll has definitely changed with the double whammy of the Jackson buff and the armor nerf.

The KT seems to just be in roll a "last ditch" tank in some scenarios were it's you last hope of holding back the tide or turning the game around, or it's just a "seal the deal" tank were you were already winning by a large margin and the KT is just there to end it sooner. The lack of in between is kind of disappointing.

The IS2 is great because it is much more easy to acquire and pump out in numbers than a KT, and normally you won't even see it alongside SU-85's because teching doesn't have much a point when aiming for call in's.

TLDR: call in meta is dumb, why hasn't it been fixed yet.
2 Apr 2015, 17:21 PM

Here's the thing though, if your opponent has enough fuel to call in 2 or 3 is2s once they have 11 cp and you havent punished them for doing infantry only play you kind of deserve to lose. The only fuel purchase I mentioned with the jp4. You don't even need to get it to have good supporting at, and if they're not teching you don't need it at all, you can just rely on shrek raketen and mines. If you get the jp4 though it significantly helps in dealing with enemy armor and stalling the game to get your units more vet and grind it out for the kt.
2 Apr 2015, 17:29 PM

Here's the thing though, if your opponent has enough fuel to call in 2 or 3 is2s once they have 11 cp and you havent punished them for doing infantry only play you kind of deserve to lose. The only fuel purchase I mentioned with the jp4. You don't even need to get it to have good supporting at, and if they're not teching you don't need it at all, you can just rely on shrek raketen and mines. If you get the jp4 though it significantly helps in dealing with enemy armor and stalling the game to get your units more vet and grind it out for the kt.

The JPIV definitely does help, but if your facing 1 USF + 1 Soviet what you have do is kinda different since the USF player can make up for the fact the Soviet player isn't going past tech 2.

It seems so much easier to float fuel as Soviets thanks to the fact I have elite call in infantry in the IS2 commander as well as flame barrage to help deal with enemy infantry hordes and emplacements. As OKW you can easily get punished for not spending fuel through medium spam + crushing or indirect spam + infantry hordes. You need to get things like the Stuka, P2, Panther ect to counter those things.

What I'm trying to say is the IS2 gets more normal use as a heavy tank fighting prolonged battles often in normal games modes, were the KT is normally only seen used for very desperate situations or games that were already a forgone conclusion.
2 Apr 2015, 17:58 PM
Donator 11

He still has his incredible AOE damage and power... only tested him once now.. but I think he is still worth it.
2 Apr 2015, 18:30 PM

Feels like a glass cannon now - despite having still IS-2 armor. Everything focuses fire on it and it goes down way too fast for my taste. Coupled with slow speed its only good for the defensive. Paying 260 fuel + buying all buildings + decreased fuel income + not spending the fuel on anything else is a bit much for a unit that can sit at one VP and guard it.

Disagree with me but I´m disappointed.
2 Apr 2015, 18:37 PM

Feels like a glass cannon now - despite having still IS-2 armor. Everything focuses fire on it and it goes down way too fast for my taste. Coupled with slow speed its only good for the defensive. Paying 260 fuel + buying all buildings + decreased fuel income + not spending the fuel on anything else is a bit much for a unit that can sit at one VP and guard it.

Disagree with me but I´m disappointed.

KT is not mandatory btw. Even if you build all those buildings, you are reaping the rewards from them. Don't forget you have other choices of Armor and call ins aside from KT.
2 Apr 2015, 20:17 PM

KT is not mandatory btw. Even if you build all those buildings, you are reaping the rewards from them. Don't forget you have other choices of Armor and call ins aside from KT.

Not really? There are 3 call in tanks in the game for OKW, the PIV BG (Which nobody uses for obvious reasons), the Command Panther (which is excellent), and the Jadgtiger. But none of these fulfill the roll the KT does, and are more risky choices than the KT.

If you are fully teching typically it's because the game is drawing on long and you aren't shooting for a specific piece of armor. If I want a Panther ASAP I don't back tech before I get one. Because that's 40 fuel your not getting back.

Late game you won't be building Puma's, or Flak HT's, and the Battlegroup HQ isn't prized for it's units either, mostly just the reinforce point.

His point about it being defensive is right, it's the slowest of the 3 heavy MBT's, but is has the same armor as the IS2 now which is much faster than the KT which has only about 1 extra Jackson shot's worth of health more than the standard heavies.
3 Apr 2015, 02:24 AM
Patrion 28

more like you got your first two tiers in the first 10 minutes, have that extra truck, and are floating resources so you might as well place it. that can be anywhere from 12 minutes in to 45, depending on how bad you're doing. seriously, it's an extra 200 mp and 40 fuel, those tiers are dirt cheap.
3 Apr 2015, 02:28 AM

more like you got your first two tiers in the first 10 minutes, have that extra truck, and are floating resources so you might as well place it. that can be anywhere from 12 minutes in to 45, depending on how bad you're doing. seriously, it's an extra 200 mp and 40 fuel, those tiers are dirt cheap.

40 fuel is fairly huge when it can make the difference between getting a Panther now or later. And "might as well place it" isn't always an option, as you might want to push up to place it closer or wait to place it.
3 Apr 2015, 02:31 AM
Patrion 28

it can. but if you're doing fine with infantry it's not a big hurry and even with the nerfs OKW can float quite well on infantry.

no, it's not always an option but it usually is and you usually want to place it with your other two buildings which are usually together so that they cover each other.
3 Apr 2015, 02:56 AM

it can. but if you're doing fine with infantry it's not a big hurry and even with the nerfs OKW can float quite well on infantry.

no, it's not always an option but it usually is and you usually want to place it with your other two buildings which are usually together so that they cover each other.

No? You never want to place trucks close to each other because of artillery. Fully teching gives you access to the KT because if it was a call in then it would be abused and everyone would always go for that 1 KT commander.

The heavies would all be more balanced if they were tied to teching like it is, but right now with call in meta the KT deserves to be the best because it costs a fuckload compared to the call in tanks.
3 Apr 2015, 03:11 AM

In a 3 v 3 today one went down in seconds to the new super Jacksons with 240 damage mega penetration rounds.

It doesn't really seem to do much of anything now, it's too slow to get into the fight quickly, and now with the tank destroyer buff it seems pretty risky.

So I guess it's a defensive tank?

I really don't know how to use this thing effectively anymore.
3 Apr 2015, 03:14 AM

In a 3 v 3 today one went down in seconds to the new super Jacksons with 240 damage mega penetration rounds.

It doesn't really seem to do much of anything now, it's too slow to get into the fight quickly, and now with the tank destroyer buff it seems pretty risky.

yes
3 Apr 2015, 04:00 AM
Patrion 28

No? You never want to place trucks close to each other because of artillery. Fully teching gives you access to the KT because if it was a call in then it would be abused and everyone would always go for that 1 KT commander.

The heavies would all be more balanced if they were tied to teching like it is, but right now with call in meta the KT deserves to be the best because it costs a fuckload compared to the call in tanks.

"close" means about a screen in this case.

the VI B is the best right now

bad RNG for you; i've had the opposite happen.

it wipes squads, does a lot of damage to tanks, and bounces a lot of shots. of course all of those are at least somewhat RNG based.

it works best as a defensive tank because it's harder to overextend. it works perfectly fine as a breakthrough tank if you have support right behind it though and make sure you don't overextend it.

it got a 50 armour nerf which, which has no significant effect on how it's used against soviets, and jacksons got a buff so it means you can't frontal rush jackson with it over large areas of open ground anymore. otherwise use it how you used to.
3 Apr 2015, 07:07 AM
Benefactor 115

Yes it's still worth 260 fuel, it's still very hard to kill if you pull back in time and okw repair speed does the rest.
3 Apr 2015, 08:17 AM
Patrion 14

They nerfed it remember?

Here are the movement stats to if your wondering

IS2:

Deceleration:
On ice accel decel multiplier:
Acceleration:
Max:

KT:

Deceleration:
On ice accel decel multiplier:
Acceleration:
Max:

Even though blitz is nerfed, 3.8 * 1.4 is still faster than IS-2's top speed.
3 Apr 2015, 08:20 AM
Patrion 14

His point about it being defensive is right, it's the slowest of the 3 heavy MBT's, but is has the same armor as the IS2 now which is much faster than the KT which has only about 1 extra Jackson shot's worth of health more than the standard heavies.

But also a much better maingun. KT is absolutely still worth the price. It's just that call-in meta is broken, but that has been for a while now, and hasn't specifically gotten worse with the armor nerf of the KT.
3 Apr 2015, 08:22 AM
Patrion 14

But it IS the best. It's not as good as it was, but you can't deny it's still absolutely the best heavy tank in the game. I'd gladly give up the IS-2s speed for the KT's main gun. Destroying an AT gun in a single shot with it isn't unusual. Actually hitting something (well, infantry) with the IS-2 is.
3 Apr 2015, 10:33 AM

Really the biggest issue is that the lower armor combined with the Jackson buff means that you need to be very very conservative with it because of it's slow speed.

Every Soviet team mate is using market target commanders now so it kind of compounds the problem, It makes more sense just to get a Jadgtiger or spend the fuel on more diverse tanks. The Command Panther and Regular Panther are much faster and much easier to keep alive.

The KT now is a great defensive tank, for assaults? Not so much.

Old jackson vs Tiger B set up. max pen 200/425 * 240 dmg = 112 dmg per hit in average
new jackson vs Tiger B Set up. max pen 240/375 * 200 dmg = 128 dmg per hit in average

128/112 = 1.14

OMG

JACKSON HAS BEEN BUFFED BY 14% more damage in average D::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
PAGES (19)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak