Login

russian armor

Relic: All About Balance!

1 Apr 2015, 10:21 AM

There is so much pressure from the community to do it in a way they perceive to be the "right" way or, as some mentioned, a way that is not truly beneficial or indicative of where the game should go due to that player's skill level. This as opposed to sticking to a set of goals/objectives the game developers envision for the game and delivering a product the way it was intended...I played COH1 back in the day for quite a while but admittedly not involved with the community at the time, was it as heavily influenced by the community as COH2 is now?

The opinions appear to be so wide and varied from the community I don't know how they can really please anyone. I don't know if this was beat to death already, but I have heard a lot of negative feedback about the current state of the KT as it compares to the IS2...I mean wasn't the KT supposed to be "legendary status" and top of the chain back in it's time?
1 Apr 2015, 10:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Apr 2015, 10:21 AMTones
I mean wasn't the KT supposed to be "legendary status" and top of the chain back in it's time?

Yes but not so legendary the allies had to FLANK(tm) it. Needs PERSHING(tm) to slugfest counter. He he :D
1 Apr 2015, 11:44 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Patrion 39

I appreciate the post. Thank you Cynthia :)
1 Apr 2015, 12:29 PM

Numbers are a terrible way to balance. Majority of the players are bad. Any statistics taken from this majority is not representative of what is happening between players that are good (good meaning players that both understand the game and have micro skills high enough to put it in practice).

Majority of players don't really care about good players. They want to have a good time. And if they do - they pay money to make it even better.

Sorry for disappointing you.
1 Apr 2015, 15:23 PM

Hah, I found making developers butthurt after dumpstering them using lame flavour of the month strats made them make changes pretty quick. Especially if you dumpster them on live stream.

Hi Peter and the Kubel, Truck Pushing, Ostheer Strafe Spam, Stuart Stun Rounds, Pak Stalling and various other strats he nerfed the shit out of because he got owned in one game.

He would go on about data and all that jazz 24/7 until he actually played a game, got mad and made rage changes.

You should tell that story at parties.
1 Apr 2015, 15:37 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

You only have to do this for 10 games..

You could possibly be very gifted at games like coh and beat some one that's top 200 or even top 10.

You may have been good at COH1 and are better than your typical newb who may be totally new to RTS.

That's why it's like that.

It could be a better system, sure, that could be said about a lot of things,but I mean come on, of all things to write a wall of text about..
1 Apr 2015, 15:41 PM

With how small the community is for this game I feel like leagues, and separating "better" players from "worse" players will only lessen the community more.

I don't mind being matched up to players better than me, it helps me learn, and develop into a better players, especially when I watch my replays.
2 Apr 2015, 04:30 AM

They are pulling a blizzard in other words,

"We know whats fun and whats not fun and you will enjoy how we change the game"

A lot of company's have been taking this approach lately, Namely Riot and Blizzard.

A individual who immediately comes to mind is a gentleman named
Jay Wilson. He was the head developer of Diablo III at release.
Who made the game 'Fun' their own terms (The dev team) and ending up making one of the worst gaming disasters of recent history.
(A lot of BS came down from on top too, And i feel like its happening in this case as well)

Ironically he worked on CoH before being hired by Blizzard.

I know SEGA has got you guys by the balls but from a consumer standpoint
who is interested in this game i would hope you guys would at least make your beta's public and communicate with us more.

Some balance changes like in LoL for instance last year there was a huge nerf on a champion in the game called Pantheon.

But because the beta and dev's were in communication with the community it avoided a disaster.
(Edit: not a beta but a public PTR)

(Not sticking up for riot they have many things that are non viable but at least they try.)

Please please communicate with the community, The people who play your game. You will get more data from us then you ever will internally.

Riot gives a patch at least once a month. Also lol @ panth. Champs rise and fall all the time in that game. LoL hasn't had a blatantly broken champ since S1/S2
2 Apr 2015, 05:17 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Apr 2015, 10:21 AMTones
There is so much pressure from the community to do it in a way they perceive to be the "right" way or, as some mentioned, a way that is not truly beneficial or indicative of where the game should go due to that player's skill level. This as opposed to sticking to a set of goals/objectives the game developers envision for the game and delivering a product the way it was intended...I played COH1 back in the day for quite a while but admittedly not involved with the community at the time, was it as heavily influenced by the community as COH2 is now?

The opinions appear to be so wide and varied from the community I don't know how they can really please anyone. I don't know if this was beat to death already, but I have heard a lot of negative feedback about the current state of the KT as it compares to the IS2...I mean wasn't the KT supposed to be "legendary status" and top of the chain back in it's time?

That's true, you can't make everyone happy. But the main concern of many of us here is the so-called QA. Look at the amount of bugs introduced to the game with the new patch, or the PTRS disaster (which destroys MGs and PAKs before killing the crew). People should stop crying for balance like this, yes. But we have the right to put them under pressure for technical problems.
2 Apr 2015, 06:12 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Apr 2015, 01:25 AMnigo
We are more intently focused on making changes and adjustments that will have a positive impact on our entire game-playing population, not just a dedicated but small minority of our player base. This can sometimes mean that while it may seem obvious to some that a certain change is necessary, it may not be our top priority nor even a good idea in terms of changes to make.

that is very strange. talking about balance and then saying, that perfect balance is not in their interest (balance at high level play for "dedicated" players).....

ready2esports
2 Apr 2015, 14:12 PM

You only have to do this for 10 games..

You could possibly be very gifted at games like coh and beat some one that's top 200 or even top 10.

You may have been good at COH1 and are better than your typical newb who may be totally new to RTS.

That's why it's like that.

It could be a better system, sure, that could be said about a lot of things,but I mean come on, of all things to write a wall of text about..

The thing is, it´s not 10 games it is 160 (10 games for each faction in each gamemode).

Sure someone could be the new bobby fisher of coh2 or something like that, but it´s not a good idea to design the matchmaking around a minority.

I´ve seen worse and better matchmakingsystems. In 1vs1 this is not a real big deal, still a terrible introduction for new players because yo have to go to the forums to find out why you are placed against topten players (I was mostly shopping on amazon after i knew about the "placement"-matches, alt+enter...), but in teamgames it´s a realy annoying way to match up teams.
2 Apr 2015, 14:32 PM

The thing is, it´s not 10 games it is 160 (10 games for each faction in each gamemode).

Sure someone could be the new bobby fisher of coh2 or something like that, but it´s not a good idea to design the matchmaking around a minority.

I´ve seen worse and better matchmakingsystems. In 1vs1 this is not a real big deal, still a terrible introduction for new players because yo have to go to the forums to find out why you are placed against topten players (I was mostly shopping on amazon after i knew about the "placement"-matches, alt+enter...), but in teamgames it´s a realy annoying way to match up teams.

Well with that calculation you could say it is a virtually endless amount of placement games, because there is also a different placement for every different team constellation for arranged teams :D
2 Apr 2015, 15:40 PM

Well done Relic. Nice to see some communication and we now have an understanding of how balance is approached.

If we continue with these smaller changes while upping the frequency of them, things may actually be looking good for coh2.

Balance will take time. Balance is concurrent. 98% of the players in this game, myself included, should not be focusing on balance. We should focus on getting better and self improvement; playing all factions.
2 Apr 2015, 15:46 PM

yeah whatever relic, why did it take so many months to have a patch that changed only a few things, and there was no new content apart from community created maps
2 Apr 2015, 15:58 PM

Thank you Cynthia.

One observation. Big Data Analytics are only as good as the data collected. ignoring traditional common sense will miss the OP/UP units that are not part of the meta. And will always put Relic into a reactive balance scenario.
2 Apr 2015, 16:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Apr 2015, 14:32 PMgokkel

Well with that calculation you could say it is a virtually endless amount of placement games, because there is also a different placement for every different team constellation for arranged teams :D

Head-desk-head-desk-head-desk....

You must be kidding!? No, seriously you are kidding, right? :unsure:

Why did they call it "ranked" and not "random" ?:banana:
2 Apr 2015, 16:25 PM

Majority of players don't really care about good players. They want to have a good time. And if they do - they pay money to make it even better.

Sorry for disappointing you.

It makes no sense to take that approach. Attaining high level balance does trickle down to lower levels, balancing factions for players that do not know how or are properly capable of using units and abilities at disposal does not even slightly translate in to any semblance of balance for people that know what they are doing.

Example (COH1)
Bad player: OMG buff Jeep it is useless does very low damage.
Good player: It can give vision for perfect flanks, stops pios from capping early game, and pushes volks out of cover

Currently both have shitty balance, its not like one skill group is ruining the game for the other right now.
2 Apr 2015, 16:28 PM

Head-desk-head-desk-head-desk....

You must be kidding!? No, seriously you are kidding, right? :unsure:

Why did they call it "ranked" and not "random" ?:banana:

No I am serious, there is one ladder for random teams and one ladder for premade teams, but the ranking is for every premade team constellation. So lets say there are 5 players who are friends with each other (A, B, C, D, E) who play 3v3 in changing constellations, you are player A so you have the following constellations:

A, B, C
A, B, D
A, B, E
A, C, D
A, C, E
A, D, E

All these teams have their own rank, and to get their own rank they need to go through placement in this exact constellation first :D And that is just for 3v3. If you play Allies and Axis you need to double the amount again, because Axis and Allies Ladder are also seperated.

edit: Oh yeah, for the random team ladders you don't have a seperation between Axis and Allies but for every faction.
2 Apr 2015, 16:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Apr 2015, 05:17 AMRMMLz

That's true, you can't make everyone happy. But the main concern of many of us here is the so-called QA. Look at the amount of bugs introduced to the game with the new patch, or the PTRS disaster (which destroys MGs and PAKs before killing the crew). People should stop crying for balance like this, yes. But we have the right to put them under pressure for technical problems.

Agreed. Balance is one thing, which I was speaking to. Bugs are critical to address, which would break any "good balancing" being done. But in these cases the balance brought the bug. QA!
2 Apr 2015, 17:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Apr 2015, 16:28 PMgokkel

No I am serious, there is one ladder for random teams and one ladder for premade teams, but the ranking is for every premade team constellation. So lets say there are 5 players who are friends with each other (A, B, C, D, E) who play 3v3 in changing constellations, you are player A so you have the following constellations:

A, B, C
A, B, D
A, B, E
A, C, D
A, C, E
A, D, E

All these teams have their own rank, and to get their own rank they need to go through placement in this exact constellation first :D And that is just for 3v3. If you play Allies and Axis you need to double the amount again, because Axis and Allies Ladder are also seperated.

edit: Oh yeah, for the random team ladders you don't have a seperation between Axis and Allies but for every faction.

Ok, that makes atleast a bit of sense if it at vs at, not realy much ... but just a liiiittle bit :lolol:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★