Login

russian armor

Should Relic apologise for dishonoring Soviets in COH2?

• This thread is locked
Should Relic apologise for dishonoring Soviets in COH2?
Option Distribution Votes
79%
21%
Total votes: 56
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
30 Mar 2015, 22:35 PM
Donator 11

Relic did dishonor soviet veterans of WW2 by portraying soviets as villains in COH2 main campaign. Did Relic apologise?
30 Mar 2015, 22:39 PM

Relic did dishonor soviet veterans of WW2 by portraying soviets as villains in COH2 main campaign. Did Relic apologise?

What? Are you saying that the type of things that happened in the campaign did not happen in real life?
30 Mar 2015, 22:41 PM

30 Mar 2015, 22:43 PM

Although the things in the campaign were not always a common occurrence, they do have a basis in truth. Be thankful that the gulags weren't portrayed.

Are you (op) going to apologise to all the families of those thousands killed in the gulags?
30 Mar 2015, 22:45 PM

Here we go again,i got the popcorn ready
30 Mar 2015, 22:53 PM

Ypu are strong... Don't get into this... You have powerful will... I belive in you... Garden it!

What dishonorig? Shooting at your own soldiers running away from the frontline?

But this poll... Options are just stupid.
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Here we go

An apology for gang rapers? I hope not.
30 Mar 2015, 22:54 PM

You Russians amaze me... you never caught up on your history.

September 1939: The Soviet Union INVADES Poland.

November 1939: The Soviet Union INVADES Finland in the Winter war.

April/May 1940: Massacre of Katyn.

August 1944: The Red Army stops its advance on Warsaw. Reason for that is to ensure Poles fail in their fight against the Germans. This was only the first step to get rid of the Polish opposition and to establish a communist puppet state. You didn´t even need to get your hands dirty. Congratulations!

February 1945 onwards: Mass rape of German women by the Red army.

Stop acting like the Soviets didn´t have blood on their hands. Demanding an apology from a game company is ridiculous, even more so under the circumstances mentioned. Nobody bats an eye when Germans are portrayed in a critical light. And rightfully so. Because Germans have accepted their past and admit it was shameful.

Lock this thread.
30 Mar 2015, 22:55 PM
Patrion 14

Man 2013 called, it wants her rant threats back.
30 Mar 2015, 23:00 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Did you consult Maza, before dreaming this up? ( I highly doubt it)

What I think most might agree, is that the SU narrative to the campaign was too ambitious for the resources to which Relic had access at that time, after the studio emerged from a corporate bankruptcy.

EDIT

Cr@p poll, BTW - not voting
30 Mar 2015, 23:00 PM

Bad poll options. I won't vote, but I don't think any apology is needed.
30 Mar 2015, 23:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Mar 2015, 23:00 PMboc120
Bad poll options. I won't vote, but I don't think any apology is needed.
What? It´s great Russian-style poll.

Do you agree?

[x] Yes or [ ] Yes

Next president?

[x] Putin or [ ]Nemzow

Free Crimea?

[x] Yes or [ ] I want to get beaten up by those guys here looking where I make my cross.

Stop insulting motherland!
30 Mar 2015, 23:09 PM
Honorary Member Badge

My concern is not whether that Campaign "dishonours" anybody or not, or even whether it can be historically justified or not - but rather why when there are millions of stories that Relic could have told they chose to tell that one.

A game that should be huge in Russia, and they chose a storyline that's going to piss that market off.

If you can have a clean German campaign it shouldn't be hard to do it for the Red Army.

That's like making an USMC game about the Pacific, and then having key bits of gameplay be about collecting Japanese skulls to send home to your girlfriend and carving letter openers out of their bones.

Now if you do that, you don't get to act surprised if the Americans get pissed at you.

It shows remarkably poor judgement rather than anything else

30 Mar 2015, 23:16 PM

My concern is not whether that Campaign "dishonours" anybody or not, or even whether it can be historically justified or not - but rather why when there are millions of stories that Relic could have told they chose to tell that one.

A game that should be huge in Russia, and they chose a storyline that's going to piss that market off.

If you can have a clean German campaign it shouldn't be hard to do it for the Red Army.

That's like making an USMC game about the Pacific, and then having key bits of gameplay be about collecting Japanese skulls to send home to your girlfriend and carving letter openers out of their bones.

Now if you do that, you don't get to act surprised if the Americans get pissed at you.

An excellent post van Voort, you can see the middle ground of why the way Relic went about narrating the story in a game called ''Company of Heroes 2'' is nonsensical, especially given the first game and how they avoided injecting political points. Empathy is key to understanding why this might offend the ancestors of the Russian soldiers.

I have an even more apt example, it would be like when Relic developed the Ardennes Assault campaign they focused on the 761st tank battalion as possibly an Armoured company and how they were treated in general by the US army at that time.
30 Mar 2015, 23:25 PM

This +1
31 Mar 2015, 00:45 AM
Patrion 14

when the Pacific came out, a lot of (ex)soldiers and civilian ppl on various army and movie forums bashed the series just on the basis that the Pacific was being disrespectful to USMC because they showed gold teeth mining (not sure what the technical term is) and many other unsavory USMC acts.

but most of the public decided to be reasonable and realistic.

not like this game.

the bad comedian's(?) "why russians hate coh2"(?) youtube video was hilarious. most nitpicking, skewed, non-evidence based shit of a video and it still has a positive rating.

yes, relic made a poor judgement. a poor judgement of thinking they had a mature audience everywhere.

maybe they should've made a campaign out of the lowest common denominator.
31 Mar 2015, 01:11 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Mar 2015, 00:45 AMpigsoup
yes, relic made a poor judgement. a poor judgement of thinking they had a mature audience everywhere.

maybe they should've made a campaign out of the lowest common denominator.

Nothing more to add to this thread.
31 Mar 2015, 03:51 AM

Alot of these things did happen though.. (Look up Katyn massacre)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★