Login

russian armor

Let's get physical! (Workout thread)

25 May 2013, 12:49 PM

Starting a workout thread in a games forum is usually either awkward or a failure. But any forum is not complete without a slightly active workout thread for people to boast about their achievements, ask for advice or just generally talk about working out, nutrition, diets etc. :D

Right now I'm doing an all around fitness schedule to get back in shape after a long depressing winter. I go to the Gym twice a week as well as jog at least 3-5 km 3-4 times a week. I'm also trying some beginner level DDP Yoga with 3 workouts a week.

It have been working out so far; lost 13 pounds since March and built back my musculature up from "weak, weak, weak, weak man" level, to "weak man" level. :p

So does anyone here workout? If not, why?
25 May 2013, 13:12 PM

I used to do karate before training schedules and laboratory schedules started crashing. I kind of want to try krav maga or kickboxing when the summer is over, though. That, or go back to trying olympic wrestling again, which I haven't done for over 10 years now but was really fun.

Either way, I'll be spending a lot of my summer holidays at the gym. I need to get back in shape regardless of what I decide to do next semester. x.x
25 May 2013, 13:35 PM

I usually go to the gym twice a week. But can't jog because of my calfs...they get all stiff and hurts like hell. :(
25 May 2013, 14:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 May 2013, 13:12 PMNaeras
I used to do karate before training schedules and laboratory schedules started crashing. I kind of want to try krav maga or kickboxing when the summer is over, though. That, or go back to trying olympic wrestling again, which I haven't done for over 10 years now but was really fun.

Either way, I'll be spending a lot of my summer holidays at the gym. I need to get back in shape regardless of what I decide to do next semester. x.x

I really want to try Krav Maga. I have limited time and funds right now, and it seems to be very no-nonsense and straightforward, and also pretty easy to get the basics of. Don't think there is any instructor in my town though. :(

I usually go to the gym twice a week. But can't jog because of my calfs...they get all stiff and hurts like hell. :(

I think that might just be them being not used to it. I had that problem almost half a year ago when I started running. My calfs were the only part of my body that started to struggle after just 1 km. After doing a 2 km run 3 times a week for a month it disappeared though. With some good running shoes you should be fine, as long as you don't have any other issues with how you run, which you can check up at a qualified... runguy (gyms usually have one)
25 May 2013, 16:24 PM

I think that might just be them being not used to it. I had that problem almost half a year ago when I started running. My calfs were the only part of my body that started to struggle after just 1 km. After doing a 2 km run 3 times a week for a month it disappeared though. With some good running shoes you should be fine, as long as you don't have any other issues with how you run, which you can check up at a qualified... runguy (gyms usually have one)

Summer holidays are coming up and I thought of buying new running shoes and get ut running 2-3 times a week and see if that helps.
25 May 2013, 17:19 PM

I'm working out almost every day (at home and at the gym) about 4-6 times a week. Lovin' it MVGame, preparing for boxing in the summer vacation;)
25 May 2013, 18:29 PM

I exercise just enough to stay healthy -- every other day basically. Some combination of squats (air or dumbell), pushups, pullups, left lifts, and deadlift. I also move furniture part time which is pretty good exercise.
25 May 2013, 22:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 May 2013, 13:12 PMNaeras
I kind of want to try krav maga or kickboxing when the summer is over, though.

Couldn't recommend Krav enough- but it very much depends on who's teaching you. If you've done karate then you're probably familiar with the 'McDojo' but whereas that's pretty prevalent in general MA, it's sadly rife in KM. Ideally try Pure Krav Maga (led by Boaz Aviram, basically rated as the best worldwide KM school left in terms of the teaching and the principles), although the European Krav Maga Academy is also known to be quite good (can't vouch for it myself though). Been doing Krav for about 18 months now with some brilliant PKM instructors who strike a good balance between exercise and self-defense.
26 May 2013, 00:19 AM

Up until the onset of winter here in New Zealand, I was cycling about 14km and running 3km every day as part of my daily commute (as I don't own a car).
I find it helps to integrate your physical workout into your daily routine so ones workout commitments don't get left behind in a haze of self indulgence/cbfness..
28 May 2013, 19:53 PM

Up until the onset of winter here in New Zealand, I was cycling about 14km and running 3km every day as part of my daily commute (as I don't own a car).
I find it helps to integrate your physical workout into your daily routine so ones workout commitments don't get left behind in a haze of self indulgence/cbfness..

That's really good advice for anyone looking to lose some weight. Taking a walk before school/work or riding a bike is a nice way to start the day too, you get some extra energy and feel more fresh from being outside. :)

Got some damage in my foot, the arch on my right foot have been aching since Thursday everytime I walk for a longer time. If I hold my hand on my foot I can feel vibrations if I move my big toe as if you're pulling a rope back and forth over an edge. Hopefully it'll solve itself without a doctor visit.

In the meantime I've been upping my DDP yoga schedule and added some gymnastics to it. For anyone looking for a cheap workout I'd suggest this one (torrents exist, hintwink) all you really need is some clothes to sweat in, and a rug to stand on. Easy to adjust and tailor for you, and gives you mad flexibility and improves posture. ^^

jump backJump back to quoted post25 May 2013, 22:28 PMTommy

*text*

Oh that sounds extremely interesting. There is a Krav Maga instructor that is currently getting ready to start training were I live, I think I'll join in as soon as I'm less strained for cash. ^^
30 May 2013, 00:19 AM

Great to see that people workout at least in someway. I just want to remind you about the importance of resting and eating...those two combined are almost important as workout itself. I've seen many cases where someone I know work their ass off at the gym but neglect resting and eating. If you focus even a little bit on those two things, you get better results compared to the guy who trains more than you but doesn't rest and eat properly.
Hux
30 May 2013, 00:34 AM
Patrion 14

My workouts consist of smoking large amounts of dope and then studying old masters and their figure drawing techniques then trying to better them. It's a grueling regime...
1 Jun 2013, 01:21 AM

I'm a certified PT and have been pretty avid in the gym for about 8 years... so if anyone has any questions i'd be happy to answer some about my routine, diet, etc.
1 Jun 2013, 23:46 PM

My bench press technique is awful and I can't for the life of me correct it. It's very frustrating.

Not "fuck up my shoulders" awful but "missing the sternal pecs completely" awful.

I've tried taping myself and though I corrected several flaws it hasn't really changed anything.

Grip is shoulder width, back is arched with shoulders packed as far as I'm able. Feet are flat and sturdy on the floor when i start, although they usually slip a bit. Bar stays straight going up and down, target is the bottom of my sternum.

Usually feel most of the burn in my upper abs and back, and if I work out long enough my arms and clavicular pecs. Nothing in the chest proper.
3 Jun 2013, 11:37 AM

i eat donuts, pizza's all day, sometimes i get up just to get to toilet MVGame
3 Jun 2013, 12:49 PM

I ran the 100 and 200 meter all through High school and now strength train at the gym three days a week.
4 Jun 2013, 12:22 PM

little demo of what my workout looks like <444>3
4 Jun 2013, 15:42 PM

I'm a certified PT and have been pretty avid in the gym for about 8 years... so if anyone has any questions i'd be happy to answer some about my routine, diet, etc.

Is standing up from the sofa 10 times a day enough to stay fit?
18 Jun 2013, 02:50 AM

Someone call Krebs
20 Jun 2013, 00:59 AM

Down to 24.9, 25.1 or 25.4 on the BMI scale after weighing in today. Annoying since I'm not sure how tall I am :p Still, happy about the progress since I started out at around 27.5 around February, 8 kg difference. ^_^

Also toning down on my running. It's a really fun workout but so damn hard to do properly, also I've gone through a pair of shoes already. Luckily enough summer have hit full force over here, so swimming is once again on the map. :D

Anyone got any great summer workout recommendations?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★