Login

russian armor

Wargame

15 Mar 2015, 08:30 AM

Has anyone played this series? The franchise pack went on special the other day. I can't get a feel for this game from videos, pictures, anything... My friend really liked RUSE and at least from the outside it seems slightly analogous, seeing as it was the same devs as well. Has anyone tried it, and could tell me what it's like? I was thinking it might be a cool birthday present for him.
15 Mar 2015, 09:09 AM
Donator 11

i have played wargame airlandbattle a bit and it is definetely fun. you can learn quite a bit about army compositions and such with this game. i heard that the new one is not that great for hardcore ranked games, but it should be still a lot of fun in lobby games.
15 Mar 2015, 09:24 AM

how does it work? it looks like they've done away with economy for the most part. is it like ruse in that it's a sort of, really large scale rock paper scissors match?
15 Mar 2015, 17:11 PM
Donator 11

i have never played ruse, so i cant compare it. but yes, its a large rock paper scissor match with no elements of economy other than buying units more or less. also it has very nice graphics imo!
15 Mar 2015, 17:47 PM

Its an extremely complex game of rock paper scissors. Infantry hold towns and forests, tanks win open field battles, helis kill clustered inf and vehicles, some helis kill other helis, there tons of plane variants that can be good against infantry or vehicles or other planes. AA rapes stuff in air but super vulnerable to offensive vehicles and there are planes that actually specialize in killing AA with missiles that basically auto seek AA from their radar. You can have a superior force but if you position yourself badly you can get fucked by artillery, bombs, or units ambusing from tree lines. Its a really good game, 8/10.
15 Mar 2015, 22:23 PM

Well, it certainly sounds neat. My issue with ruse was it sort of gets human wavey once you hit certain economic thresholds and cover/positioning was very binary. I dunno I figure I'll give it a shot ^^
7 Apr 2015, 20:32 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Well, it certainly sounds neat. My issue with ruse was it sort of gets human wavey once you hit certain economic thresholds and cover/positioning was very binary. I dunno I figure I'll give it a shot ^^

The terrain interactions are pretty much the same as in RUSE (from what I recall from playing RUSE's open beta).
28 Apr 2015, 22:14 PM

Due to its larger scale Wargame doesn't have a cover system like CoH. It's more basic like either you are in open field or you are inside dense growth areas/buildings.

Apart from that Wargame is by far the better game in every aspect, if you like the scale.

It's more polished, far less bugs, less (gamebreaking) RNG

Combined Arms is a must-have, otherwise you are fucked in a matter of minutes

And you actually need more micro than in CoH cause of all the stuff that is happening on a larger scale.

All of that is - btw - the reason why I'm quitting CoH. I played Wargame: European Escalation, and it was awesome. Sadly none of my friends played it and I didn't have the time to meet other people in game.
A few weeks back I bought Wargame: Red Dragon because I was/am sick and tired of CoH/Relic. Since then I am in love with the game and decided to make my goodbyes after TAW 2v2 tournament.

If anyone is interested in teaming up in W:RD, just message me.
19 May 2016, 20:17 PM

I noticed the Dutch make a decent chunk of CoH2 playerbase, so I bet some of you will be interested by Wargame Red Dragon's first paid DLC ever. It's a Cold War Era RTT.

It adds the Netherlands as a new NATO faction consisting of 80 units for the low price of 6€.
You need to own the base Wargame Red Dragon game, which is currently on sale, 70% discount.

Go stroke your nationalistic tendencies Dutchmen and dutchophyles!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS