Login

russian armor

Xbox One Reveal

22 May 2013, 08:23 AM

So after the new Xbox reveal yesterday, I wrote down some points and thoughts I had.

• The name sucks, obviously, but thats no dealbreaker.
  • The console itself looks like shit, kinda like the dvd-player I had 6 years ago.
  • Kinect is now standard and mandatory, which fucking sucks. I hate kinect.
  • Next point kinda ties into that, the controller hasn't changed at all. I hoped for a touchpad of some sorts, but nope.
  • TV and sports and other bullshit more important than video games. I dont give a shit about NFL and basketball.

• NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY. Dealbreaker for me, I have a big collection of 360 games. moneygrubbing assholes.
  • NO USED GAMES. you have to install each game. after a game has been installed on a console, you have to pay a fucking fee if you want to install it on a different one. WHAT THE FUCK MICROSOFT, SERIOUSLY

Now on to games.
  • They promised the new Call of Duty would have a new engine, but that is a lie. The engine is the same as in previous games, just with some small updates (mostly textures). The game itself looks and plays almost exactly the same as previous shitty cod games.
  • New Halo game of course.... whatever, is anyone even hyped for this anymore after Halo 4?
  • And some other 'next-gen' games of which no gameplay was shown.

Worst reveal ever for me, gaming is dying... What do you guys think about this?
22 May 2013, 11:13 AM
Developer Relic Badge

"NO USED GAMES. you have to install each game. after a game has been installed on a console, you have to pay a fucking fee if you want to install it on a different one. WHAT THE FUCK MICROSOFT, SERIOUSLY"

This is a lie, microsoft confirmed this is not going to happen.

In relation to the other things I actually liked the controller I find it unnecessary and stupid to have a touch screen and the design and all seemed quite good, the console itself I dont dislike the design but find it quite stupid to be mandatory to have the kinect v2 and the thing about talking to the console again unnecessary, about those TV stuff I agree with you completely stupid and about the backwards compatibility yea it is a bit sad but if you have a 360 why bother :).

About the games I couldn't care less about the new call of duty and the other games dont interest me so I will have to wait for E3.

To conclude I will decide if I buy Xbox one (which the name sucks) or PS4 after E3, its too early to decide :).
22 May 2013, 11:28 AM

screw that I got CoH2 anyway :D
22 May 2013, 12:07 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Who plays on crappy consoles these days anyway? MVGame
22 May 2013, 14:02 PM

I was considering dipping back into games consoles in the next gen but after the reveal i'm not so sure. It's like a PC for noobs. Maybe i'll see what some of the games are like but so far nothing looks impressive. I mean CoD 10? BAHA.

Think I might just go with a super PC in the living room running windows 8 with a nice big touch monitor, whilst subscribing to my sky box :D
22 May 2013, 14:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2013, 11:13 AMDevM
"NO USED GAMES. you have to install each game. after a game has been installed on a console, you have to pay a fucking fee if you want to install it on a different one. WHAT THE FUCK MICROSOFT, SERIOUSLY"

This is a lie, microsoft confirmed this is not going to happen.

Where did you get this from? I would like a source from this, because every one I found says otherwise.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825
22 May 2013, 15:22 PM

All joking aside, the Gaming industry has gone to ####. Seriously. This new generation is offering NOTHING to gaming, but increased textures and polygon counts on screen. That's it.

No improvement on AI, no accessibility (TRUE accesibility, not skype and fucking netflix).

Developers hate PC, but they are trying to turn consoles into DRM'ed PCs. Screw that. PC Master race ALL THE WAY.
22 May 2013, 15:27 PM

Just saying that making the AI good is dependent on the devs and not the machine.

But yeah, new XBOX seems to be just a voice command remote control for TV.
22 May 2013, 16:35 PM
Developer Relic Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2013, 14:04 PMWoggie

Where did you get this from? I would like a source from this, because every one I found says otherwise.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport3/status/336924786410278912
22 May 2013, 18:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2013, 15:27 PMMrLate
Just saying that making the AI good is dependent on the devs and not the machine.

But yeah, new XBOX seems to be just a voice command remote control for TV.

It does come down to the devs, but the devs are completely limited by the hardware. Since the consoles are almost entirely dedicated to fancy graphics, most of the firepower is directed towards GPU intensive operations, and very little processing power in comparison, which in turn leaves very little resources available for A.I.

With all the new added crap into the Xbox system, the hardware will have to devote even more resources into the dashboard. Updating your damn tv shows, incoming skype calls, etc. M$ will also have to devote precious resources into debugging stuff that is not even related to videogames at all.

This is NOT a a next gen videogame console. Its a next gen home theater that happens to play videogames.
22 May 2013, 18:11 PM

From what I gathered from this announcement, the Xbox One appears to be one big, bloated mess of really bad ideas mashed together. Something we can see from the fact that Microsoft's PR-department is in full damage control-mode right now.

If there are going to be this many problems with online requirements and lending games to friends, I'm not touching that thing with a ten foot pole. Other bad ideas include the multi-core processor(which Sony ditched in the PS4 for a reason) and no backwards compatibility(a direct result of the former bad decision though).

gaming is dying...

Yeah, people have been saying that since the mid-eighties and were totally right even back then.
22 May 2013, 18:53 PM

Gaming isn't dying, per se, but it is turning into something very, VERY different from what we are used to.

It is now less about experimenting with the medium, and more about giving controlled entertainment options, disguised as expanded possibilities.
22 May 2013, 19:04 PM

Actually, that's just Microsoft right now. And judging from the general reactions, it's not going very well.
22 May 2013, 19:16 PM

All joking aside, the Gaming industry has gone to ####. Seriously. This new generation is offering NOTHING to gaming, but increased textures and polygon counts on screen. That's it.

They are putting in modern PC grade hardware so its basically going to be a PC minus all the maintenance, virus softwares, and hardware installation. And I think they are going to be capable of recording videos for direct ability to post on youtube and possibly even live streaming without additional hardware so that is pretty big change. They always mention the stupid bullshit like netflix and watching sports at these premiers to attract a larger audience, they are probably pretty confident that the people that bought 360s for the gaming aren't going anywhere. It seems like a step in the right direction aside from that fucking retarded Kinect, maybe by the next generation we will have cross compatibility between consoles, file sharing, RTS and MMO games also on console with console capable M&K, etc.

Also, any improvement for consoles is indirectly an improvement to PC gaming- if developers don't need to dumb down the game to work for the console, the PC copies will get more attention instead of taking a backseat to the inferior console product.
22 May 2013, 19:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge

My guess is that it will fail. Xbox ONE?! It is the third xbox.. :lolol:

They've focussed on adding stuff that most gamers aren't even interested in, like TV and Skype access etc. (We have a TV and Laptops/PC's for that already..doh) The only interesting games that you can play on consoles are sports games. Like the Fifa-series for example. That game is just awesome to play with friends. But most of the other genres (FPS/RTS etc etc) are better to play on PC's anyway.

22 May 2013, 19:56 PM

My guess is that it will fail. Xbox ONE?! It is the third xbox.. :lolol:

I think it's because "this Xbox is everything you ever need in one" or something.
Hux
22 May 2013, 19:57 PM
Patrion 14

I won't buy either. (I'm waiting on the 4th gen processors and building a new pc). the PC already possesses the ability to stream and is backward compatible with a vast range of old games. It also has the ability to switch between a working platform/entertainment platform and gaming platform with ease - which I enjoy.

Above all though, the worst thing about consoles is the exclusivities. They exist purely to screw one demographic over for not purchasing that product - its not to increasing sales of games - it's ridiculously petty and half the time they end up porting them anyway (a la Alan Wake)

Plus you know... RTS games.
22 May 2013, 20:55 PM

..okay, this gif was too good/retarded to not post here.

Now I'll go sit in the corner and be ashamed for actually giggling at that :(
23 May 2013, 06:02 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2013, 20:55 PMNaeras
..okay, this gif was too good/retarded to not post here.

Now I'll go sit in the corner and be ashamed for actually giggling at that :(

.. or buy a Wii-U :D

That gif sums it all up pretty much.
23 May 2013, 14:42 PM

They are putting in modern PC grade hardware so its basically going to be a PC minus all the maintenance, virus softwares, and hardware installation......etc.

Part of what you say is true, another part not so true. I understand why the add the netflix stuff, and the sports. They are trying to reduce the risks involved in console making, by not relying solely on videogame sales to earn back a profit from consoles, effectively reducing the lifecycle of the console. That could mean, you'll be buying more consoles from them.

As far as the whole virus stuff, this is not true. ANY single computer device can be riddled with viruses and hacks, but like mac devices, some are harder to distribute or simply don't hold key information to hack. What are you going to hack in an xbox? His achievement history? Now, though, you can hack his skype conversations, or spy someone's home by itnerfering with the webcam, which will prove interesting in the security world.

Next up: technology. People need to realize, that when a console comes out, it is weaker than the PC. All of the technology wrapped up in the newest consoles have subpar hardware (though not by much, I admit) to the average gaming PC. 6 months later, the PC has evolved with even better hardware. Its a tradeoff, but developers are always hard pressed to make console games. While they don't have to worry about optimizing for different hardware, they have to find clever ways to deal with the extremely limited memory consoles have. This is the reason why consoles have sucky textures, sucky loading times, and sucky Level of Detail. The games that "dont" are form very, VERY clever developers that spent unreal amounts of effort going around it. It is not easy.

Cross platform compability: forget it. Won't happen. They don't want you buying or playing with other consoles. Microsoft even had a legal clause, where if a Playstation or Wii version game, had any features that the Xbox versions didn't, they would remove your license to release that game on Xbox.

Its the reason why Gabe Newell kicked xbox away.

Like I said, its not a bad thing, its just something I feel is changing the gaming industry into something I don't like. Others might like it, and thats cool.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★