Login

russian armor

CoH2: Age of Heroes (Age of Empires III inspired mod)

22 Feb 2015, 22:53 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Testing this right now.

Never played Age of empires.

But starting out its REALLY kinda slowish and boring to gather resources initially probably because its a prototype.

However since this IS 2015 and all and computers are better than they were,can civilians be more than one individual? IM sure CPUs can handle it? Like 4-5 civilans in a "Squad" Like a family of people. So i feel like im actually expanding a colony...a state...a country. and can explorers have way more sight range,and the ability to place fires for immersion, etc? Might want to change explorer model from Sturm officer to someone like a OKW Jaeger Light infantry with no weapon,or Ostheer/sov sniper, or stormtrooper. He looks like the leader of the country just running around xD
a

You probably already know the voices are odd and off.. Maybe change from OKW annoncer to "Our forces increase" and "we have new units" "new units are ready to deploy" instead of "PIoneeregruppe is ready for action" Even though thse villagers are technically pioneers...eh

Church is spelled wrong
What do the "Ages " upgrades do? Or are you working on that

Volks that you can create cant be reinforced.

Why is there Flak as defense by default Kappa no base rush is possible and defeats point of walls

Also when you have a bunch of villagers put down a plantation or farm,and try to make the villagers do something else,they will refuse to leave the farm or do anythin else.

Could you implement an Anti Idle system as well? Have them automatically move to help other villagers

Also Theres no way of knowing how many villagers can harvest on a specific resource. THeyll just stand there if you put too many of them on one thing. Not gamebreaking but still.

22 Feb 2015, 23:20 PM

awesome Kreygasm
23 Feb 2015, 12:13 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Any visual or audio related thing is irrelevant or has a low priority at this point of the development. However I appreciate your input. If you'd have played AoE III, you'd be familiar with ages. Here's a great guide about ages: http://aoe3.heavengames.com/gameinfo/aoe3/ages/index.shtml

Villager game mechanics are still heavily under development and especially with farms and plantations some unwanted behavior is possible as all possible cases like queued orders are not yet supported code-wise.

For now I'm going to closely follow AoE III. Next I'm going to work on treasures, home city shipments, and villager behavior. Villager behavior is currently the most complicated part of the mod. I'm not going to implement any automatic anti idle villager systems though. It's the players responsobility to make sure no villagers are idle.

Thanks for the feedback.
23 Feb 2015, 13:50 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Can I have ISU-152s to gather resources instead of engineers?
23 Feb 2015, 14:26 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Can I have ISU-152s to gather resources instead of engineers?

ISU-152 would just crush the bushes.. :( Do you consider that as "gathering"?
23 Feb 2015, 17:11 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

no :(
2 Mar 2015, 17:15 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Demo video #2:

PRE-ALPHA - EARLY TESTING ONLY
Steam Workshop page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=392930575

Age of Heroes is an Age of Empires III - inspired mod for Company of Heroes 2.
It features basic resource gathering mechanics, ages, economy & base building, and military units.
This is an early test version for those of who are interested. Everything is subject to change. Feel free to test and share your feedback.

Everything is sped up 10 times to make things faster (for demonstration purposes, as usual)
This demo features:
- New icons
- Market upgrades
- "Idle villager" system
- Construction animations
- Villager count per resource (income per minute meter)
- Homecity shipments
- Church & Priest
- Capitol (Imperial age) upgrades
2 Mar 2015, 17:31 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

doesn't it make more sense to start with wooden houses and churches?
2 Mar 2015, 17:38 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

doesn't it make more sense to start with wooden houses and churches?

That's a good point, I didn't even think about it. I will definitely see if I can find enough suitable models for each age. Thanks.
3 Mar 2015, 12:51 PM

Nice Im still wondering how cannons and cavalry will work are you gonna use light vehicles in the place of cav and do you plan on adding melee units?
Testing this right now.

Never played Age of empires.

But starting out its REALLY kinda slowish and boring to gather resources initially probably because its a prototype.

However since this IS 2015 and all and computers are better than they were,can civilians be more than one individual? IM sure CPUs can handle it? Like 4-5 civilans in a "Squad" Like a family of people. So i feel like im actually expanding a colony...a state...a country. and can explorers have way more sight range,and the ability to place fires for immersion, etc? Might want to change explorer model from Sturm officer to someone like a OKW Jaeger Light infantry with no weapon,or Ostheer/sov sniper, or stormtrooper. He looks like the leader of the country just running around xD
a

You probably already know the voices are odd and off.. Maybe change from OKW annoncer to "Our forces increase" and "we have new units" "new units are ready to deploy" instead of "PIoneeregruppe is ready for action" Even though thse villagers are technically pioneers...eh

Church is spelled wrong
What do the "Ages " upgrades do? Or are you working on that

Volks that you can create cant be reinforced.

Why is there Flak as defense by default Kappa no base rush is possible and defeats point of walls

Also when you have a bunch of villagers put down a plantation or farm,and try to make the villagers do something else,they will refuse to leave the farm or do anythin else.

Could you implement an Anti Idle system as well? Have them automatically move to help other villagers

Also Theres no way of knowing how many villagers can harvest on a specific resource. THeyll just stand there if you put too many of them on one thing. Not gamebreaking but still.

In AoE3 if I remember correctly (played it a very long time ago) you had 300 pop cap and settlers took 1 pop cap, infantry 2 and cav took 3 but of course it was different for some units and as for the explorer he is the leader of the colony he is not a dedicated scout unit he is your hero basically who cant die permanently but I remember there were dedicated scout units you would camo them and spy on what the enemy did
3 Mar 2015, 12:59 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Nice Im still wondering how cannons and cavalry will work are you gonna use light vehicles in the place of cav and do you plan on adding melee units?

In AoE3 if I remember correctly (played it a very long time ago) you had 300 pop cap and settlers took 1 pop cap, infantry 2 and cav took 3 but of course it was different for some units and as for the explorer he is the leader of the colony he is not a dedicated scout unit he is your hero basically who cant die permanently but I remember dedicated scout units

Settler cap was 100, total unit cap was 200 which was 100 after having max amount of villagers.
Yep, Explorer shouldn't die permanently.

Calvary is going to be light vehicles/tanks.

Infantry counters Calvary, Calvary counters Artillery, Artillery Counters Infantry.
3 Mar 2015, 13:07 PM

Settler cap was 100, total unit cap was 200 which was 100 after having max amount of villagers.
Yep, Explorer shouldn't die permanently.

Calvary is going to be light vehicles/tanks.

Infantry counters Calvary, Calvary counters Artillery, Artillery Counters Infantry.

What about Skirmishers, dragoons and culverins they all countered their own unit type and some factions had their own unique version of certain units anyways and I think the scout units for all the European factions were spies built at the church they also had damage bonuses against explorers and treasure guardians but low hp

Edit: Also are you gonna implement unit upgrades and if yes will their models change with the upgrades
3 Mar 2015, 13:12 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

What about Skirmishers, dragoons and culverins they all countered their own unit type and some factions had their own unique version of certain units anyways and I think the scout units for all the European factions were spies built at the church they also had damage bonuses against explorers and treasure guardians but low hp

Edit: Also are you gonna implement unit upgrades and if yes will there models change with the upgrades

Models will most likely not change so I'm going to use the veterancy rank stars to show that. There's already inf upgrades for musketeers)

I don't want to go too much in detail balance and unit-wise, there's a lot of game mechanics left to implement.
1 Jun 2016, 11:41 AM

Is this mod dead?
1 Jun 2016, 12:52 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I lost my interest. Not proper (enough) modding support to achieve this.
1 Jun 2016, 13:18 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

Cute game. The issue is that the the cute novelty of a nod towards turn-based games only has so much value. Cool idea though.

Edit: this is kind of a shitpost. please forgive me
1 Jun 2016, 13:19 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jun 2016, 13:18 PMwouren
Cute game. The issue is there is the novelty of a nod towards turn-based games is a cute novelty that only has so much value. Cool idea though.

AoE III is not a turn-based game.
1 Jun 2016, 13:25 PM

This is so cool! I was so excited viewing down all the in development videos until I saw that you gave up on it because of technical difficulties...what a pity! Such a genius and amazing combination!
1 Jun 2016, 13:27 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

AoE III is not a turn-based game.

Agh words. I'm so bad at them.
1 Jun 2016, 13:55 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

This is so cool! I was so excited viewing down all the in development videos until I saw that you gave up on it because of technical difficulties...what a pity! Such a genius and amazing combination!

Only way to implement this mod is a gamemode. A frigging gamemode which anyone can combine with some rubbish tuning pack.

• Lack of control over mods that can be used with this mod (tuning, maps)
  • Only way to include SCAR logic is a gamemode pack. Doesn't really make sense for total conversions. Yet it's the only option..
  • Balancing. I couldn't care less about balancing units and tinkering with Attrib stuff. SCAR is my way to go.
  • I can spend my time doing far more valuable things like the recently published CCM II.

Overall there's so many little annoying things either implemented poorly or not done at all that it's almost impossible to stay focused and motivated. I've had some ideas of re-doing this mod on top of base factions: Only provide the new resource gathering system. That might work. That way I wouldn't have to care about balancing stuff and tuning packs wouldn't be that big of an issue. Technically I could even whitelist compatible ones and terminate the match session if an unwanted tuning pack is present..

People capable of doing mods like this (experience with the COH2 SCAR system and good programming background) can be counted with the fingers of one hand after a table saw accident. There's a limit of how many features can be implemented for such a small group of modders. Yet some were, against all the odds and I'm thankful for that.
Clearly the focus is shifting to other projects. Number of developer livestreams has gone down, same goes for forum activity. It's Wednesday and the last developer post on the official forums is from last Friday. It's hard to imagine anything improving. It's as good as it gets.

/rant
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS