Login

russian armor

Need help against SU Forward HQ commander

17 Feb 2015, 17:15 PM

This pertains to a 2vs2 setting on building heavy maps. For the purposes of this discussion, it can be a Wehr/OKW mix or a double faction team set up.

In places like Ettlebruck, against top 100 players, I'm finding it impossible to deal with this tactic because even a mix of mortars, flamers, and HMG's can't stem the tide of rapid response conscript spam. It's pretty disheartening to see someone in the top 10 just blobbing them up too, kind of makes me feel this game is hopelessly broken.

The closer they get to the starting position, the more difficult it is to dislodge them, and the FHQ is up in no time at all, and a lot of the buildings in certain maps have ludicrously high HP. I'm not a beginner, so I'd really appreciate some tried and true methods in dealing with this SU strategy in high level situations.
17 Feb 2015, 17:24 PM
Senior Caster Badge
Donator 22

Walking stuka is an amazing counter as well as the incend barrage on the mortar HT. Double soviet in a 2v2 situation is the best way to go about this strategy as the other player is tasked with bringing out 120m mortars to counter wher and okw indirect fire as well as guards for light vehicles.

The person who picks that doctrine has no elite infantry or call in for late game, so if you can prevent them from overwhelming you the first 10 minutes you should be fine.
17 Feb 2015, 17:24 PM
Senior Caster Badge
Donator 22

Edit: sorry double post
17 Feb 2015, 17:34 PM

need okw and quick stuka, brings fhq usually down in one barrage (if aimed properly). With ostheer only you will have a hard time as you obviously already noticed yourself. You can try mortar, flamer pios, pin all the cons with mg, flamer halftrack, even at gun, but it might still be too few and theres nothing you can do about it (agree it´s quite op in team games vs ostheer only, but it´s only a waste of fuel vs okw using quick stuka)
17 Feb 2015, 18:10 PM

Yeah, I don't really like playing OKW but I guess one of us will have to be that faction on a regular basis just to stand a chance. Kind of a shame that it has to be that way.

The only problem is trying to maintain hold over one fuel point while all of this is going on. That build has too much pressure in the first 10 minutes.
18 Feb 2015, 02:10 AM
Honorary Member Badge

The FHQ doesn't help against suppression, and it's of no interest if there are no units by it

So I find that supressing the hell of the area works until you can get something to destroy it.

We've been doing a lot of FHQ play in 4v4 and that seems basically the only way to stop us
18 Feb 2015, 02:31 AM

This pertains to a 2vs2 setting on building heavy maps. For the purposes of this discussion, it can be a Wehr/OKW mix or a double faction team set up.

In places like Ettlebruck, against top 100 players, I'm finding it impossible to deal with this tactic because even a mix of mortars, flamers, and HMG's can't stem the tide of rapid response conscript spam. It's pretty disheartening to see someone in the top 10 just blobbing them up too, kind of makes me feel this game is hopelessly broken.

The closer they get to the starting position, the more difficult it is to dislodge them, and the FHQ is up in no time at all, and a lot of the buildings in certain maps have ludicrously high HP. I'm not a beginner, so I'd really appreciate some tried and true methods in dealing with this SU strategy in high level situations.

There are not many maps specially in 2v2 FHQ is strong, one is probably the one you mentioned.

If you're a mix of Wehr/OKW, just don't panic, the Wehr player must get the Spearhead commander for the mortar ht for the incendiary barrage ability with totally kills the FHQ for 30 ammo. Don't get more than one ht cause you need fuel to prepare for their medium armor.

Usually with such strat, allies players spam cons/rifles, you can get a flak ht which would counter their spam in very hard but use it carefully in combo with mg and inf support.

btw, at the beginning of the game, specially when you see the FHQ commander in their list, always try to avoid the big building between the two vps, for as long as you can.

I actually find this commander very easy to counter even in this map cause it has no heavy tank, no elite infantry, and delays his teching a lot
18 Feb 2015, 02:51 AM

use flamer pios to set the buildings on fire
18 Feb 2015, 11:21 AM

Try Mortar HT incendiary barrage.
18 Feb 2015, 17:45 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

If you are trying to play double OH, you are going to have a bad time. Same if you go double USF. That's how it is in the current meta.

Ontopic: there are certain maps and buildings on which you have to be careful about a FHQ. Remind you that the moment those guys lose momentum they are done since the doctrine lacks any doctrinal unit capable of carrying them during the mid-late game.

Having this in mind, you have to rush certain buildings on the opening of the game if you see this commander on their loadouts. Even a Stuka won't be able to clear this buildings on 1 barrage.

If possible, avoid the place and concentrate on the rest of the map. Lock it down with MGs and slowly start to bring it down if you have mortars.
MHT completely shuts it down.

TL;DR: don't play their game. Do not fight around the FHQ. Patience will make you win the game.

20 Feb 2015, 15:51 PM
Senior Caster Badge
Donator 22

http://www.coh2.org/replay/31113/can-t-beat-the-cheese

fhq strat vers Aladdin, pretty unbeatable on ettlebruck, even with double stuka

23 Feb 2015, 18:58 PM

Just lost another game to FHQ strategy again. It's very difficult against opponents of a similar skill level because the pressure is just too intense for those crucial first minutes.

Getting map control back becomes a hassle. I'm throwing in the towel. If I go up against this increasingly more common strategy, I'll just put up a good fight, but I don't expect to win.
24 Feb 2015, 00:19 AM

Maybe if OKW try going fast Sturmtiger, if you can hold a fuel long enough. Stiger comes sooner than a panther

Its got to be worth a shot, they lack fuel an so decent counter to chase the stiger. As a bonus its impervious to mortars and the light At gun.

They will quickly hesitate to build more fhq's.
24 Feb 2015, 00:53 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

As OKW
Rush the sturmpio to the central building. (station on ettel, church on trois pont and semoisky)
dont fight around the FHQ. Try to contain him and cap on other points.
Get stuka zu fuss and kill the building

As Ostheer
Mgs and mortars. Grens in the early game will not help because they lack LMGS and fighting against the FHQ aura
At 2cp get a mortar HT and use the fire barrage

a replay is easier to point out flaws or things that can be done better
24 Feb 2015, 20:29 PM

As Ost, you will have difficult time as mortars will take their time to destroy the FHQ. My suggestion is for you to cap the rest of the map and not get yourself bogged down by ONE building. Remember, Sov player is sacrificing fuel for this, so keep capping and tech for a P4.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 3
Korea, Republic Of 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment