Login

russian armor

Smash Bros balance article and CoH2

17 Feb 2015, 07:57 AM

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/02/super-smash-bros-is-unbalanced-and-thats-a-good-thing/

How does this compare to CoH2? Will balance change as players get smarter and learn the intricacies of this game too?
Just look at the Kongs; one has went from top tier to bottom, the other from bottom to top, without any changes. Can this happen for units in CoH2 too?
17 Feb 2015, 08:15 AM
Patrion 28

to a small extent. there isn't a huge amount to figure out though, compared to what we already know.
17 Feb 2015, 08:59 AM

In sure smash bros players thought that too, and we did too in CoH1 until Aimstrong came along with his unbeatable USvPE strat.
Maybe people just need to find the optimal build orders, unit combinations etc. over time.
17 Feb 2015, 09:41 AM

Smash Bros has a much larger playerbase that will find out new ways to play.
The unbalance is much worse in CoH. You can Rifle blob through the whole map and do good because the enemy most of the time can't do anything about it.

In SSB4 it mostly depends on skill.
I got my ass wiped many times playing online against Litte Macs until I found out how to fight them. Now I laugh about everyone who just spams moves into my shield after I grabbed them and hold them in the air.

In CoH I know the hardcounter to the US rifle blobs: MGs. I build them and the blob still runs through my units like a knife through butter. In SSB4 a Little Mac can't punch through my Shield and if he tries, he will be punished. In CoH he won't. That's the difference.
17 Feb 2015, 09:44 AM

I don't know if you know this OP but....

kotaku is garbage
17 Feb 2015, 09:52 AM
Patrion 14

i think the major problem is that it is just not fun to play against okw.

balance can evolve as much it can but okw gonna be okw and it is gonna drive ppl away i think in a long run.
17 Feb 2015, 09:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2015, 08:59 AMQvazar
Maybe people just need to find the optimal build orders, unit combinations etc. over time.

Thats pretty much what happened already in coh2.
We have IWIN builds and everything else is simply not viable.
Lenny with his ton of different strats failing against equal opponents proves that sadly(exceptions happened, but for pure surprise then the particular strat being effective).
17 Feb 2015, 09:57 AM

CoH has such great potential but atm about 90% of the commanders are just garbage that can't be played unless you are a fan of 'gg, well played' after surrendering.
17 Feb 2015, 13:08 PM

Never played SSB but I assume there are no RNG in it and abilities are fixe.

Looking at paper rock cisor model, SSB apply the exact same logic. You have a hero and you simply need to found you paper ability when your opponent fight with rock. Because it never miss, if you push "paper" when he comes with "rock", you counter him, whenever your hero is considerate as weak or strong.

Now COH2, when you need to use paper to counter rock, it doesn't work always. Sometime it simply miss, or many times you have different sizes of rock and not enough paper to counter the biggest. Those are the main difference.
How to make sure rock can never become that big and control on RNG profile for each ability = are the challenges to balance a game like Coh2
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★