Login

russian armor

RNG unfavourable for both sides (explained)

11 Feb 2015, 13:22 PM
Patrion 14

Hey guys,

The heavy RNG in COH2 is making it frustrating to play. Don't get me wrong I love those moments of RNG, but ATM RNG can get "out of your control" micro wise.

Allow me to explain, IMO there are 2 issues RNG wise.

Axis side; INDIRECT FIRE like howitzers, heat rounds, mortars and somewhat nades (dodgeable) wiping squads. This is more of an issue mid game, Squads get wiped while you don't have any control over it even if you react in time.

Allies side; TANK LATE GAME like shots deflecting, AT guns deflecting, while your tanks always get penetrated except for a few medium and heavy tanks (IS, E8). This is the worst early on in the game when you don't have vetted tanks. But even the increased pen gets nullified when axis armor gets more armor when they vet. It has the effect of ally players being to "afraid" to flank. Ally tanks just get destroyed in a blink of an eye late-late game.

I would suggest, less explosion radius for indirect fire and maby a small amount of dmg if a shot gets deflected? So ally TD tanks still get vet.

Though if we nerf indirect fire, shrecks blobs will run rampant even more, maby reduce pen on them?

Please tel me your thoughts.
11 Feb 2015, 13:33 PM

I'm totally OK with RNG in the game. I like chaotic nature of combat. It would be boring otherwise.
11 Feb 2015, 13:34 PM
Benefactor 115

the only rng that really bothers me is tank death crits and heavy engine damage on snares
11 Feb 2015, 13:57 PM

Permanently Banned
Well said Looney. Lady RNG is a harsh mistress and is neither an Allies or Axis fangrill.
11 Feb 2015, 14:20 PM

I like RNG. Its war, bullets are flying everywhere. Pure math like constant 3models killer per 10 mortar shells would kill this game. I love when my Sherman misses 5 shots and then wipe. Its war, it cant be only about math and numbers. Although there are units like KT which are wiping to often.

Best way to decrease RNG is to make squads little more spreaded out.
11 Feb 2015, 14:34 PM

I like RNG. Its war, bullets are flying everywhere. Pure math like constant 3models killer per 10 mortar shells would kill this game. I love when my Sherman misses 5 shots and then wipe. Its war, it cant be only about math and numbers. Although there are units like KT which are wiping to often.

Best way to decrease RNG is to make squads little more spreaded out.

If COH2 was to ever grow as a competitive game, and also grow in mainstream popularity, then RNG must be toned down. You cant have the best of both worlds imo, yes its war, but its a game that needs to be fun and balanced and fair. ATM I find that it impacts the game way to much due to :

1. Squad wipes, insta-killing a very valuable unit cripples your army (Howitzers are ok because its very expensive to build + isnt easy to use well)
2. Mines and Demos (entwined with above in general, as these are probably most common) , I am 100% ok with mines having a 0% chance to crit a squad, Demos are just simply OP and should only be able to be placed on buildings or abandoned weapons.

RNG that can be directly and easily changed, ie: Death crits, need to be, no question.

Also on the topic of RNG, lets look at any form of USF late game AT :snfBarton:
11 Feb 2015, 14:40 PM

If COH2 was to ever grow as a competitive game, and also grow in mainstream popularity, then RNG must be toned down. You cant have the best of both worlds imo, yes its war, but its a game that needs to be fun and balanced and fair. ATM I find that it impacts the game way to much due to :

1. Squad wipes, insta-killing a very valuable unit cripples your army (Howitzers are ok because its very expensive to build + isnt easy to use well)
2. Mines and Demos (entwined with above in general, as these are probably most common) , I am 100% ok with mines having a 0% chance to crit a squad, Demos are just simply OP and should only be able to be placed on buildings or abandoned weapons.

RNG that can be directly and easily changed, ie: Death crits, need to be, no question.

If we are looking for absolutely competitive game, then yes, pure math, nothing more.
It will be competitive but will it give enough fun? I don't thnik so.

Mines, yes but demos? They are expensive, they are obvious. Don't take point in the middle of it, don't take point behind obvious covers and demos won't do anything.

Late-game USF AT? You mean P47? :lol:
11 Feb 2015, 15:07 PM

If only CoH2 had side armour. Sigh...
11 Feb 2015, 15:14 PM

How about 100% chance to crit? This would result in removing RNG as well.
All these "please-no-squad-wipes" rules are boring. Maybe we should play chess instead then?

Or maybe you are against mines and demos because... you play mostly Axis?
11 Feb 2015, 15:18 PM

Squad wipes are something an opposing player should be seeking to achieve , and be rewarded for properly executing. When the more vast and deciding factor in this is RNG, well, it makes a CoH2 match more like a one armed bandit than a game of poker, or fates willing, chess.
11 Feb 2015, 16:32 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

No one is saying remove RNG, rather than tune it down on certain aspects (i was gonna write a list, but you can basically check Kappatch)

11 Feb 2015, 17:15 PM

death crits are annoying. really, really annoying.
11 Feb 2015, 17:41 PM
Patrion 14

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses!

I have to clarify though that I meant "toning" down RNG not remove it completely.
That way you don't "fear" the RNG because it happens frequently. It'll be those "wow! I'm not even mad that was awesome!" moments you only see very few times.
11 Feb 2015, 17:56 PM

Its pretty simple, you dont like RNG your playing the wrong game. If you want it pre caculated with no "Randomness" then starceaft for you
11 Feb 2015, 18:05 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2015, 17:56 PMGenObi
Its pretty simple, you dont like RNG your playing the wrong game. If you want it pre caculated with no "Randomness" then starceaft for you

Don't get me wrong I love RNG, but it's just IMO a little to much. Again I suggest toning it down to a more fun level. I appreciate your tip about Starcraft though.

I think more people feel frustrated by that 1% health tank getting away and that full health squad getting wiped by a howie shot.

11 Feb 2015, 18:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2015, 18:05 PMLooney

Don't get me wrong I love RNG, but it's just IMO a little to much. Again I suggest toning it down to a more fun level. I appreciate your tip about Starcraft though.

I think more people feel frustrated by that 1% health tank getting away and that full health squad getting wiped by a howie shot.

I just read my post and it seems a bit confrontational, but its not. However i do agree on some points that needs to be tone down like a tank getting away with critical and other nonsense
11 Feb 2015, 19:28 PM

RNG is the most important feature of Relic's games, and I like it. The only problem now is Insta-wipes. I have no problem with deflection, crew shocks, accuracy etc. But Insta-wipes are the worst.
11 Feb 2015, 19:50 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Flame post #12 invised. Please do not, I order respectfully beg you ;) It makes life so much easier (especially for me ) :)

Back to topic.

11 Feb 2015, 22:41 PM

How about 100% chance to crit? This would result in removing RNG as well.
All these "please-no-squad-wipes" rules are boring. Maybe we should play chess instead then?

Or maybe you are against mines and demos because... you play mostly Axis?

why does everyone go quick to responses like this that only invite more issues. Anyhow RNG is indeed cruel. I had a game the other night where a katy fired and killed my stuka becuase 4 of the missles hit in a tight group, same thing happened to a vet 3 full hp ober squad. in an earlier game my katy fired on a mass of axis infantry..killed 3-4 models no wipes, 25% dmg to a stuka....darn you RNG darn youuuuu.

yet it makes things true to combat..unpredictable to a certain margin.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★