Login

russian armor

M8 Greyhound Canister shot is extremely OP

28 Jan 2015, 17:02 PM

By buffing the Greyhound's base damage but reducing the RNG factor of its main ability you make the unit more desirable, and less rage-inducing to fight against. There is no reason that it can't act as a 3 CP doctrinal alternative variant to the Stuart for those occasions where you may choose to forego the Captain tier. Often doctrinal units are designed to fill holes in your standard tech tree, so why not?

That's the problem with doing those changes to the Greyhound. If you skip the captain tier, M20 is a better light vehicle choice in every situation. It has a consistent firing platform against infantry, way cheaper on the fuel, it has greater survivability due to smoke, the crew comes with a bazooka, and it lays down amazing AT mines. The Greyhound has better shock value against infantry, but I've used the unit more than most, and I've had it used against me. The whole "it squad wipes all the time" logic is a lie. It doesn't wipe squads any more than a 120mm mortar or a rifle grenade used against a bunched up squad hiding behind a little cart. Or a shock trooper grenade that lines up perfectly with a squad moving across a road.

Yeah, trust me. It's annoying losing an entire squad to the Greyhound. It's the same level of annoyance as losing that squad to any other explosive at any point during a match. If Relic nerfs canister shot, I better see nerfs to every single RNG based ability in the game. Again, if the Greyhound's primary ability is nerfed, you will not see it in-game anymore.

I mean, if that's what you guys want, have at it. We can make room for the M8 in between the SU-76 and Wehr puma.
28 Jan 2015, 17:11 PM

Permanently Banned
mabey increase its cannister price.

I dont care if this unit is "OP". based on the fact that nearly every OKW unit is overperforming
28 Jan 2015, 17:17 PM

If the canister ability must have to be toned down, then its durability and its others offensive abilities must be increased proportionally.
Thus the unit shall retain it's appeal and it's role and won't fall into oblivion.

The canister shot and the armor skirt cost reduction should also be proportional to the reduction of the canister firepower.

It should now also be able to retreat more easily after having taken at least 2 shrecks hits with its skirt upgrade.

Comments ?
Thanks.

P.S. : I do not wish the nerf as all tanks now wipe squads anyway...
28 Jan 2015, 18:02 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Dejavú.

TLDR: Nerf canister, buff Greyhound main gun.
28 Jan 2015, 18:07 PM

Greyhound will die to shrecks, and the OKW has the Luchs which is on the same level as the the M8 and Obers gun down squads almost as fast as the canister shot. I agree that it is ok against OKW targets... OP against Wehr. So OKW has more units that pretty much kill as fast as canister shot. "OMG NERF ANYTHING THAT CAN KILL OVERPERFORMING OKW UNITS!":megusta:

Reading comprehension wasnt your forte, i guess...

or maybe youre not even trying to adress me with that last sentence...

if so, please, do use some paragraphs next time. youre confusing me with your fine blend of consent and dissent
28 Jan 2015, 18:09 PM

The unit is pretty useless with out canister shot, just make it so it comes in with the armor upgrade and make the main gun better at infantry killing. Just get rid of canister shot, it's dumb that a unit can insta gib any squad that stands still long enough to try and shrek.
28 Jan 2015, 18:12 PM

The Canister Shot itself is fine, it just needs the random crit removing IMO.
28 Jan 2015, 18:13 PM

The canister shot is OP
The units maingun is UP

= the unit is broken, must be fixed

Buff the gun, and remove the crit damage of canister... btw, the crit does not feel random at all... it happens always
28 Jan 2015, 18:23 PM

Reading comprehension wasnt your forte, i guess...

or maybe youre not even trying to adress me with that last sentence...

if so, please, do use some paragraphs next time. youre confusing me with your fine blend of consent and dissent
Seems to me that your forte is to be condescending. My first couple of sentences were valid points, shreck blob and any AT easily counters the M8. It's called in late enough every player should have counters against it. Yes the critical strike hits is BS, but the point is that most armies have a way to obliterate infantry. P.S: The OMG line was a joke.
28 Jan 2015, 18:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2015, 14:51 PMRiCE

Balance the base stats of the unit if you think its needed, but honestly, the thing just killed 5 men in a building with a single shot!

Which is funny, because thats pretty impossible unless you have a rep.
Unless you meant stuka by a chance.
28 Jan 2015, 19:03 PM
Benefactor 115

It's the only allied light vehicle which can be compared to Luchs in terms of effectiveness yet still needs tons of ammo to kill as many model as Luchs so...
Nerf canister shot only if luchs will be nefred.

Still useless vs schreck blob.

How is the Luchs performance related to the M8 canister shot? Does the Luchs counter the canister ability? How does the Ostheer counter the canister without access to the Luchs? Did Relic put out some design mission statement that states these to units should be comparable? If the units were mirrors of each other, how would you feel about the Luchs with a canister?

Back on topic - I don't like the ability as is; there's no warning to it (no animation or sound). I wish the canister "shot" was a ability with a time duration. Where the output per shot was greater than normal, but didn't one shot squads. Similar in principle to the AP rounds on a MG.
28 Jan 2015, 19:40 PM

Seems to me that your forte is to be condescending. My first couple of sentences were valid points, shreck blob and any AT easily counters the M8. It's called in late enough every player should have counters against it. Yes the critical strike hits is BS, but the point is that most armies have a way to obliterate infantry. P.S: The OMG line was a joke.

it truly is my forte.

thanks for the clarification though
28 Jan 2015, 20:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2015, 19:03 PMDucati

How is the Luchs performance related to the M8 canister shot? Does the Luchs counter the canister ability? How does the Ostheer counter the canister without access to the Luchs? Did Relic put out some design mission statement that states these to units should be comparable? If the units were mirrors of each other, how would you feel about the Luchs with a canister?

Back on topic - I don't like the ability as is; there's no warning to it (no animation or sound). I wish the canister "shot" was a ability with a time duration. Where the output per shot was greater than normal, but didn't one shot squads. Similar in principle to the AP rounds on a MG.

You did not get my point.
Luchs is the only ligh vehicle which is able to get over 40kills.
Greyhound is able to do the same thing but only when spends tons of ammo.

So Greyhound, 50ammo ability, more fragile, less hp is OP byt Luchs is not?
28 Jan 2015, 20:58 PM
Donator 11

and what about OH?
also 1 overperforming unit does not validify another one...
28 Jan 2015, 22:25 PM

Luchs is the only light vehicle which is able to get over 40kills.

So Greyhound, 50ammo ability, more fragile, less hp is OP but Luchs is not?

Even luchs gets 1000 kills, that does not make things even. I do agree that luchs needs a slight HP nerf so it dies with 2 ATG shots (3 if you can't finish it because of near death crits), but that has nothing to do with Greyhound. Don't wanna go off-topic about luchs though.

So instead of relying on it to kill using tons of ammo as you said (which is true) isn't it better the change it so it performs and scales well for early and late game? Instead of saying because OKW is OP, this unit is fine.

I would say greatly reduce the crit, increase main guns damage and penetration a bit and for late game, change the vet system so it becomes a real "Armored Recon Unit". Something like Pumas vet 5 or even 222.
28 Jan 2015, 22:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2015, 18:42 PMKatitof

Which is funny, because thats pretty impossible unless you have a rep.
Unless you meant stuka by a chance.

Here is your replay. Watch from the 14 second mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8fme1ncWAU
28 Jan 2015, 22:48 PM

Just wanted to lol on that topic, I just faced RICE on the same map 4vs4 and pickup Reco commander and use the M8 around the same corner of the map as on the video. I used maybe 3 time the canister shot and had a lot of kill with before being shot to death by shreck, I didn't upskirt it so it was not that difficult.

Just a question, simple one, why don't you use a Puma? I mean, the game we had 5 minutes ago was only a blob of 4 OKW players. 2 fast Kubel which failed + maybe 2 halftrucks and... nothing else.

Just consistent waves of blobed volks+sturm+obers when a single puma is enough with his range to keep any light vehicle at max range and so the m8 out of range for a canister shot.
I can understand it is probably easier, funniest maybe as well, to only blob and reach the critical mass that will break your opponent line, but sometime you have to adapt. I ate your various blobs with 4 M8A1 (1 destroyed) and you didn't even build a Panther.

Honestly if all your games are like that, the problem is clearly not the Greyhound...
28 Jan 2015, 23:00 PM

Here is your replay. Watch from the 14 second mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8fme1ncWAU

Pretty interesting considering canisters actual AoE and the fact that cover, including garrison cover gave you pretty great chances of surviving.
28 Jan 2015, 23:05 PM

Luchs is the only ligh vehicle which is able to get over 40kills.

So Greyhound, 50ammo ability, more fragile, less hp is OP byt Luchs is not?

the luchs donest 1 shot stuff. technically spoken usf aa track does far more damage then the luchs.
28 Jan 2015, 23:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2015, 23:05 PMJaigen

the luchs donest 1 shot stuff. technically spoken usf aa track does far more damage then the luchs.

Wish I had bookmarked that clip where luchs obliterated full health con squad with a single burst.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 16
Peru 7
unknown 5
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %