Login

russian armor

What would a third German faction look like?

21 Jan 2015, 20:02 PM

eg. the BergTiger; Hotchkiss, multi-tasking kettenkraft or bike.

No, no, no, no, no.... nonononononono *head explodes*

Please don't bring back the Panzer Elite. :(
21 Jan 2015, 20:04 PM

As much fun as an Afrika corp faction with Italian commanders or an Italian faction with Afrika Corp commanders would be, I REALLY don't want to see more balancing issues. More options does mean more counters to stuff, it also means those options need to be balanced against all existing options, I.e. more potential balance problems.

That said, a desert theme (no sandstorms please) with 88s, half tracks a plenty, arty support, Brits 2.0 (now with 99% less camping/blobbing!) and Americans bombing their own troops repeatedly sounds pretty amazing. There could even be a new mode where Patton and Rommel square off Street Fighter style, complete with fireballs, hurricane kicks, etc. Ok last parts a joke but the rest does sound cool.
21 Jan 2015, 20:06 PM

Afrikakorps would suck imo.

How are you supposed to balance Panzer IIIs and Panzer IIs fighting it out with IS-2? Afrikakorps units would either fill no role or would be totally out of the timephrame.

I think a third Axis faction isn´t required at all. Some cool units could be introduced via doctrines. There are enough units who would fit the timephrame of 1944. Units such as: Hetzer, Nashorn, Marder, Flak 88mm, Jagdpanther, StuH 42, Nebelwerfer, Panzer III Ausf. N.

21 Jan 2015, 20:07 PM

Cool idea but I'd like to see something else than a full German faction again
21 Jan 2015, 20:08 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

No, no, no, no, no.... nonononononono *head explodes*

Please don't bring back the Panzer Elite. :(

Why not? They were good fun to play. :D Sorry about your head :)
21 Jan 2015, 20:09 PM
Patrion 14

How about having a Luftwaffe faction? Ground troops for poor cheap basic infantry, buildable Falls in different kinds of squads for elite. Recoilless guns for light arty/AT, Panzer III's, captured arty pieces, Marders, StuHs , 88's, Wirbelwinds, Kettenkrads.. Sort of like tough infantry, light vehicle support faction modeled on the Hermann Göring division, Luftwaffe Ground divisions and Fallschirmjäger divisions and the Italy campaign. Could even have italian support or confiscated Italian tanks.
21 Jan 2015, 20:09 PM

I don't think there is much point in another German faction. This faction from concept sounds a lot like OKW, as in you have a late game German army which is ressource starved and combines poverty equipment together with highly advanced units and equipment which are very expensive. So there is an overlap.

Some of the new units could be added in new commanders for Ostheer or OKW instead, or just add additional units to the core eventually if it makes sense.
21 Jan 2015, 20:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2015, 20:07 PMBandito
Cool idea but I'd like to see something else than a full German faction again
And who would that be?

Finnish troops? They fought bravely... but mostly with a mix of German (StuG, Panzerfaust) and Russian (captured T-34s, KV-1s or Mosin Rifles) equipment. Not much to make a whole faction.

Same applies to the Italians... no heavy vehicles and by the time the multiplayer is set they had switched sides. The north remained nothing more but a puppet state.
21 Jan 2015, 20:17 PM

Standalone multiplayer separate from the current mess?...

There might be a new meta that is cooler than the current one. (Gestures with eyebrows)
21 Jan 2015, 20:33 PM

Maybe get p3's very early and getting flak 43's as a non doctrine unit
21 Jan 2015, 20:39 PM

Please god no more damn germans!

Afrika corps also probably won't work because it's too restrictive to timeline basically limiting them to only 1942 tech. Something like "Southern Front Command or something like that would be much better since then you can expand units into 1944.

And if that happens I would much rather the faction be populated mostly by Italians with some German support for some heavier units.

Seriously this communities obsession with Germans is ruining potential diversity on the axis side. We already have two factions on that side defined by big heavy tanks and elite specialized infantry. Let's give the axis something a little different.
21 Jan 2015, 20:45 PM

Contrary to popular belief adding more factions wouldn't make it harder to balance, as the more units you put in the game the more counters people will have to things and thus more options. What's hard to balance is having a very small selection of units and attempting to balance them in a way that works perfectly rather than having a large selection for people to chose from to fit different situations.

That is so wrong^^

Just look at the current Jackson situation. It totally destroys OH, but there was a Thread that wanted it to be buffed because of OKW.

If we add another 2 Factions, for example Ostheer has exactly ZERO more options to counter anything, but it needs to be able to counter 1 more arsenal.

Maybe you meant more units for the existing factions? With that I could maybe agree... (Or maybe you meant Teamgames, where it might atleast not have a big impact)

(That all said, I would have no big problem with more factions :D)
21 Jan 2015, 20:46 PM

Maybe that new German/italian faction can have units like panzer III or vehicles that become useless and units with bad training like war volunteers or bad armed units. This faction would rely on the power of spaming those units. Like Zerg faction in sc2, whichs relys on massing units.

21 Jan 2015, 20:46 PM

So the most powerful allied ground force aka Soviet Union will stay the worst designed/least available choice faction for till the end of coh2? The forgotten east will stay forgotten?
21 Jan 2015, 21:05 PM

British + Italy = New DLC
21 Jan 2015, 21:16 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2015, 20:09 PMgokkel
I don't think there is much point in another German faction. This faction from concept sounds a lot like OKW, as in you have a late game German army which is ressource starved and combines poverty equipment

What poverty equipment would that be? Everything out of the OKW inventory feels pretty golden to me.

Look, Afrika Korps won't fly - it's an early war faction. Italians weren't even in the war during the period in question (late 1944). Japan? Er, infantry, snipers, light arty. Boring.

Germans are the most feasible faction and the two current ones have just scratched the surface. One that really captures tough, last ditch desperation would be cool.

I also totally get the Hermann Goering Division idea - it's distinct, in period and would feel / look very different. Thumbs up.
21 Jan 2015, 21:20 PM

I am not quite sure if new factions would bring the game in the right direction. There is still a lot of work to be done regarding bug-fixes and balance issues.

But new fations in mods are a different case. There have been attemps of some modders to create new vehicles and to give all infantry units new historic correct uniforms, at least for Wehrmacht.

Here are some examples:

Unfortunately Relic stopped the possibility of modding to that time, so I do not know if these guys could ever finish their projects. Despite the results in the pictures look really awesome.

21 Jan 2015, 21:36 PM

In terms of new factions I wanna see in CoH 2, It would probably be Hermann Goering Division in Italy(Flak 88s! Carro Armato P40s!, PzIIIs!)sort of patchwork faction. Bet they would be interesting.
I also wanna see Rhine-Crossing Brits with Comets, but I doubt we'll get that, even mod wise
21 Jan 2015, 22:01 PM

That is so wrong^^

Just look at the current Jackson situation. It totally destroys OH, but there was a Thread that wanted it to be buffed because of OKW.

If we add another 2 Factions, for example Ostheer has exactly ZERO more options to counter anything, but it needs to be able to counter 1 more arsenal.

Maybe you meant more units for the existing factions? With that I could maybe agree... (Or maybe you meant Teamgames, where it might atleast not have a big impact)

(That all said, I would have no big problem with more factions :D)

More units in general is better be it added by a faction or commander or anything else. One of the reasons it's so hard to bloody balance is because of the shear lack of options. You HAVE to go Jackson as USF for mobile end game AT, if USF had more to chose room they wouldn't ALWAYS need a Jackson.
21 Jan 2015, 22:04 PM

In terms of new factions I wanna see in CoH 2, It would probably be Hermann Goering Division in Italy(Flak 88s! Carro Armato P40s!, PzIIIs!)sort of patchwork faction. Bet they would be interesting.
I also wanna see Rhine-Crossing Brits with Comets, but I doubt we'll get that, even mod wise

Dream. B-)

(I also want to see all that)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight