Login

russian armor

Company of Blobs, if you only solo, dont read

11 Jan 2015, 23:12 PM

company of heroes 1 lead designer designer - josh mosqueria

OF and COH2 - quinn duffy

at least that's what i've been told for a long time by many different people, can you prove me wrong?

Protip:

It takes more then a single lead designer to make a game.
12 Jan 2015, 00:54 AM

Found it MVGame

I believe German got blobbed by soviet at late 1944
12 Jan 2015, 02:30 AM

company of heroes 1 lead designer designer - josh mosqueria

OF and COH2 - quinn duffy

at least that's what i've been told for a long time by many different people, can you prove me wrong?

From a quick Google search, I can easily find out that you are indeed incorrect, and you've been fed false information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_of_Heroes:_Opposing_Fronts

The designer for the first game was Josh Mosqueira while for CoH OF, there were actually 3 designers; Josh Mosqueira, Brian Wood(He was killed by Americans years and years ago, after working on CoH Online and doing work on CoH2) and finally Quinn Duffy.

The team for both of those games have been largely the same; it was after Opposing Fronts that the Relic team began to branch and ultimately split off...not before. Opposing Fronts was literally the exact same game as CoH1, which would mean most of the team that made CoH1 made the expansion as well.

If this still doesn't convince you, then I might have no choice but to install CoH1 and OF again, and take a screenshot of the credits screen; you won't be able to dismiss hard evidence like that.
12 Jan 2015, 03:19 AM

From a quick Google search, I can easily find out that you are indeed incorrect, and you've been fed false information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_of_Heroes:_Opposing_Fronts

The designer for the first game was Josh Mosqueira while for CoH2, there were actually 3 designers; Josh Mosqueira, Brian Wood(He was killed by Americans years and years ago, after working on CoH Online and doing work on CoH2) and finally Quinn Duffy.

The team for both of those games have been largely the same; it was after Opposing Fronts that the Relic team began to branch and ultimately split off...not before. Opposing Fronts was literally the exact same game as CoH1, which would mean most of the team that made CoH1 made the expansion as well.

If this still doesn't convince you, then I might have no choice but to install CoH1 and OF again, and take a screenshot of the credits screen; you won't be able to dismiss hard evidence like that.

it's cool, i figured i was wrong. i just hate admitting it, thanks!
12 Jan 2015, 05:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jan 2015, 22:45 PMKatitof
By team games you mean 4v4?

Was it ever different there?

In 1v1 and 2v2 you can outcap enemy. In larger game both side cap in 2 minutes all map and then is it about blobs war.
12 Jan 2015, 06:36 AM
Donator 33

If received accuracy is too punishing then increasing AOE suppression seems like a good middle ground. It wouldn't change the way MGs perform against properly flanking units. But it would be easier to cost them time for blobbing which is important now that 2 factions have forward retreat.
12 Jan 2015, 06:39 AM

If received accuracy is too punishing then increasing AOE suppression seems like a good middle ground. It wouldn't change the way MGs perform against properly flanking units. But it would be easier to cost them time for blobbing which is important now that 2 factions have forward retreat.

2 side dont have MG from start. If you count kubel, one. Better way is accuracy and recieved accuracy penalty for blob.
12 Jan 2015, 07:42 AM

Blobbing is just a result of
a) USF and OKW (for the most part) is played most effectively in turns of cost by going heavy infantry into late-game tanks. Call-in meta for soviets kinda have the same issue but isn't blobbed as much by having good support weapons.

b) The most APM effective way to use mobile infantry (As opposed to team-weapons) is to just blob away.

I don't think getting more one-shot-wipe units is the way to go either. But thinking back at games (do note that I play mostly teamgames and count myself as 'average' at best.) I don't think I see that many blobs by Ost or Sovs anymore. Barring the occasional 3 shocks or 4 lmg grens, but nowhere near as common as okw or usf blobs.

Which leads me to think that in order to solve the blobbing problem the overall design of the USF and OKW teams has to be done in order to remedy the problem.

OKW needs a midgame that would be more effective than going volks into obers, and not push their endgame back as far as it does now.
Even in 4v4s you sometimes if you go for AAHT and maybe a stuka, well you get a JgdPanzer or maybe a Panther if Ostheer is nice enough to listen and build caches.
KT is pushed so far back it doesn't feel like an option if spent 150-200 fuel on midgame

USF is a trickier one, since they do have the option for solid midgame play that won't push back their lategame tanks that much. (because USF don't have them :P) But having some of the best infantry ingame (Here is hoping that statement wont start a flame war.) It just makes sense to get heavy infantry. Zooks can't deal with panthers and tigers, but they can deal with the early and mid vechicles of both german factions.

TL:DR blobbing is a result of faction design and the resulting meta. In order to solve the problem of blobbing the factions would need redesigning so the meta changes.
12 Jan 2015, 08:24 AM

Recently I play 1v1 as OKW and I discovered new power of blob.

Volks, Stormpio, Raketen, MG until 2 Obers squad.

2 Obers squads can wreck absolutely everything! Cover them with Volks (schrecks) and reketen and this blob is unstopable!
Sometimes I even feel guilty because I know that there is not any counter for that blob.
Jest yesterday... 1v1, Obers squad - 95 kills. Even the heaviest tanks can't achive such numbers.
12 Jan 2015, 09:10 AM

Dude even in 1v1 OKW blob is unbearable. At vet 5 you can't suppress them, you can kill them, you can't even reduce their HP. USF blob is also very effective against Ostheer.
12 Jan 2015, 09:36 AM

Riflemen blobs are bearable simply because riflemen die even at vet 3, however an OKW blob of vet 5 infantry are ridiculously resilient.
12 Jan 2015, 10:28 AM

The main problem I read about OKW is the blob. So I ask why in the world would you let a game vs OKW go for long enough that they can get a vet 5 blob in the first place?

OKW have an extremely weak early game. Non vetted Volks can be squad wiped easily by basically anything. Failing that inflict as many casualties as you can. Follow up with AT grens, flamers or even better an early ATG to destroy the first truck they place. (this is assuming they do so outside of base sector). And you have basically won already.

Now many people are going to argue this point with me and that is fine everyone has a right to an opinion. All I ask is that you try it before arguing that I am wrong.

And always remember, against a skilled OKW player the battle is won for and against them in the early game, if your opponent is skilled enough to survive, they become much like a tidal wave.
12 Jan 2015, 10:31 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned vetted para blobs..unstoppable for ostheer..and at 28 reinforce and 6 men...wtf.
12 Jan 2015, 10:35 AM

One time in COH2 history (march or may 2014) they introduced real bonuses for green cover. Then every single soviet spammer cried like a baby because their beloved shock troops were droping like flies due to correct german units positioning in cover + bonuses. Same thing was happening to pzgrenadiers or AGs if they were attacking through open ground but everybody whined about soviets. The game was not well balanced but received a verry interesting and tactical approach. As a whining result, instead keeping that direction and modify units to balance their performances, Relic made again drastic meta changes, and cover bonuses were not so visible anymore and the tactical feeling was severely diminished again. Now, eerybody cries because of blobbing and because game doesn't reward tactics.

I don't understand this community anymore :facepalm:.
12 Jan 2015, 10:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2015, 10:35 AMJohnnyB
One time in COH2 history (march or may 2014) they introduced real bonuses for green cover. Then every single soviet spammer cried like a baby because their beloved shock troops were droping like flies due to correct german units positioning in cover + bonuses. Same thing was happening to pzgrenadiers or AGs if they were attacking through open ground but everybody whined about soviets. The game was not well balanced but received a verry interesting and tactical approach. As a whining result, instead keeping that direction and modify units to balance their performances, Relic made again drastic meta changes, and cover bonuses were not so visible anymore and the tactical feeling was severely diminished again. Now, eerybody cries because of blobbing and because game doesn't reward tactics.

I don't think they ever reversed those changes. Patch after the one you are talking about was the armour patch. All they did was reduce the DPS of pios because they basically ran up to cons and forced them to retreat. Shocks are not as effective (read OP) anymore as they where before the march patch, which is a good thing.

I'd like to see this part of the game become even more important so we are in a situation where cover >>> range.

edit checked and they did also change the LMG-42 and the PZGrens in the following patch. the changes where done so the LMG-42 has less dmg at close range so it is a trade off, while G-43s became the short-mid range.
12 Jan 2015, 11:04 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2015, 10:35 AMJohnnyB

Cover was not changed,but after the cover patch LMGs became too powerful as they could gun down everything before approach.So LMGs were nerfed.This brings us to now.
12 Jan 2015, 11:22 AM

For the last few weeks my team games have lived or died purely based on whether or not I can shut down their blobs with B4.

Tonight we lost to a critical mass of panthers, which was the first time we'd lost to something other than infantry blobs in a long time.
12 Jan 2015, 13:36 PM

I agree with Aradan. We stop playing 2vs2 untill more balance and less blob.
12 Jan 2015, 15:39 PM

never had any issues with blobs. neither usf nor okw. the ppl i see blobbing are always rank 1000+ish and its a really bad start map control wise

and theres plenty of things to do. out cap him as i mentioned, because youll basically always can tell where his whole army is. use mgs BEHIND mainline inf (ofc a blob will take out a mg thats on the frontline, derp). bomb the shit out of him... you cant miss when firing explosive stuff at the blob (demos are especially useful)... and if all fails: counterblob :snfPeter:.

in my humble opinion its a learn to play issue (not like in "you suck if you cant handle blobs", nono. more like you need to play totally different when fighting blobs which might take some practice)
12 Jan 2015, 15:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jan 2015, 23:12 PMKatitof

Protip:

It takes more then a single lead designer to make a game.

When I am acting as lead Architect things go MY WAY. When I am a supporting Architect I am just doing work for the lead. I am sure with game design its similar. Dont underestimate the input of an individual in a position of power.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★