Login

russian armor

Tactical Map too clustered...

3 Jan 2015, 01:07 AM
Patrion 14

I was just watching a intense replay and i pop a tac map for some cohesive overview of the action and what i see? a clusterfuck of unit rosters on top of each other on a tiny ass map even though it is full screen.

i guess it is more of a problem for 2v2+ matches.

but seriously though, do we need to see the map entry points? the map could be expanded so the the map borders touch the tac map UI at least. i love to use tac map but it is too clustered to use most of the time in 2v2+ in my experience.

can you guys at relic make the tac map more coherent?
3 Jan 2015, 03:15 AM
Patrion 28

i think one issue is your tiny ass resolution but i agree that there is too much stuff going on for it to be useful.
3 Jan 2015, 03:24 AM
Donator 33

Yes! Also:

-It seems to be a fixed number of pixels so it barely uses any of the screen at high resolutions.
-Single click moving the view doesn't seem useful/consistent because unit cards are usually in the way so you need to double click anyway.
-Displaying unit cards in garrisons would be really nice (with the current garrison icon around it).
-Please put the button within reach of either of your hands without installing 3rd party software.
3 Jan 2015, 03:25 AM

I wonder if the tactical map shouldn't show unit cards but instead show dots which are where the individual soldiers are, then when you mouse over it you see the unit card... Perhaps even function that draws a dynamic front line for you to show exactly the situation of the game...
3 Jan 2015, 03:57 AM
Patrion 28

I wonder if the tactical map shouldn't show unit cards but instead show dots which are where the individual soldiers are, then when you mouse over it you see the unit card... Perhaps even function that draws a dynamic front line for you to show exactly the situation of the game...

great idea but please submit the coding for determining and rendering a dynamic front line
3 Jan 2015, 04:44 AM
Patrion 14

i just played coh 1 and the unit rosters in their tac map are much smaller. but it is still clear which units are which. i think the unit roster in coh2 are too big.

@nuclear arbitor

yes, i dont have access to my desktop for a while and i am playing on ultrabook lol! gold ol' 1280 x 720 and 50% gaming resolution.
3 Jan 2015, 08:52 AM
Patrion 28

hey, me too; happy holidays and enjoy the lag!
3 Jan 2015, 11:37 AM

So, the bottom UI panel is too wasteful on space, and the tactical map is too clustered. Something for Relic to work on.
3 Jan 2015, 17:31 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

That would render the tac map useless. I personally don't have the time to mouse over each unit on the tac map. While i may sometimes play directly using the tacmap, most of the time is just a quick pop to overlook the general panorama of the battlefield.
3 Jan 2015, 17:39 PM
Donator 22

Yes! Also:

-It seems to be a fixed number of pixels so it barely uses any of the screen at high resolutions.
-Single click moving the view doesn't seem useful/consistent because unit cards are usually in the way so you need to double click anyway.
-Displaying unit cards in garrisons would be really nice (with the current garrison icon around it).
-Please put the button within reach of either of your hands without installing 3rd party software.

+1
3 Jan 2015, 17:47 PM

Gimme tactical map support for dual monitors:bananadance:
3 Jan 2015, 17:52 PM
Coder Red Badge

The tactical map in CoH2 is really terrible all around. There's a noticeable delay when opening and closing it, it's cluttered with useless information (resource amounts for points, unit statuses like walking, attacking, suppressed, pinned, large icons relative to map size), and it's pretty much impossible to use. It should display information in a minimal fashion that gives the player only the information required (unit locations and health) and nothing more.
3 Jan 2015, 18:21 PM

The tactical map in CoH2 is really terrible all around. There's a noticeable delay when opening and closing it, it's cluttered with useless information (resource amounts for points, unit statuses like walking, attacking, suppressed, pinned, large icons relative to map size), and it's pretty much impossible to use. It should display information in a minimal fashion that gives the player only the information required (unit locations and health) and nothing more.

If only Relic could fix this. @Cynthia
3 Jan 2015, 18:22 PM

The tactical map in CoH2 is really terrible all around. There's a noticeable delay when opening and closing it

It's only laggy when you open it for the first time, at least for me? :o
3 Jan 2015, 18:23 PM

Well said. When I play vcoh a bit, I can't feel the lag on tact map. No useless info on vcoh tact map. Maybe they should put an option for this new tact map or classic tact map.
3 Jan 2015, 18:25 PM
Coder Red Badge

The delay is most pronounced on the first open, but it's still there every time you open it, and even every time you close it. Part of that could be because I used AHK to bind it to CTRL+S of course.

That's a separate issue from the actual design of the map too. The CoH2 tactical map is a clusterfuck of awful UI design. Honestly, CoH2's UI design in general is extremely poor, but that's a whole other topic.

Another thing that really annoys me about the CoH2 tactical map is the fact that when you double-click on a location to return to the game view at that location, the game actually pans the camera to the location you clicked from the location you were looking at when you opened the tactical map. Hopefully that makes sense. For example, if your camera is on your base when you open the tactical map and you double-click on your opponent's base to move the camera there, the game actually pans quickly from your base to your opponent's base. If you did this in CoH1, the game would just close the tactical map and automatically focus the camera where you clicked without panning. The panning is fast, sure, but it's still noticeable, and it's very annoying, especially when you're trying to close the tactical map and immediately issue commands. If you're too fast and try to issue the command during the panning, it won't register.

In other RTS games, there is usually an option to either pan the camera or immediately switch to a new location when you click the minimap. I always wished Company of Heroes would have that option, but it never has, sadly.
3 Jan 2015, 18:38 PM
Patrion 14

This, too.

I was going to make another thread but nevermind that. Playing on a very weak platform, i noticed that coh2 in game UI made my game lose fps like crazy. for example, when watching a replay, when i turn off the UI, the game runs smooth 40+ fps. but when i turn the UI back on, the fps is ~20.

i think relic should make alternate UI option where it is just pure utilitarian, no fancy decals, colour glows and just simple one tone grey for background and one tone colour shield/crosshair for cover info, in combat info, etc etc.

even wen i use perfectly fine powerful desktop pc, turning on tac map once in a while lags significantly which really sucks. but i don't have other problems with the UI. i just don't like how it is so unnecessarily resource intensive.
3 Jan 2015, 19:01 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

We gave this exact constructive feedback two years ago during the original COH2 beta.
3 Jan 2015, 19:13 PM

The Tactical Map is one of the biggest indicators of Relic's decline, as well as the buggy, rushed, and desperate for money status of CoH2.

The worst thing about the crappy tac map being so crappy is that CoH2 is a game where things definitely happen at longer ranges, much more often than in CoH1. The need for a good tac map is there because of that range.
6 Jan 2015, 14:53 PM
Donator 11

I agree tactical map is a mess in 4 vs 4 och 3 vs 3 games.

They should fix it somehow so I can actually find my units on the map.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 29
Peru 11
unknown 8
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %