Login

russian armor

Blobbing? - Remove the dragbox

26 Dec 2014, 20:08 PM

The blobbomaster will probably say that we need a nerf to threads like this. But as long as the blobs keep on coming it would be strange if we didnt discuss them. As title says a solution could be to nerf the way we move the game instead of finding the solution in nerfs and buffs. It could be that Relics testing (if there ever was one) shows that the units are balanced, so why change them? Then maybe its better to remove the dragbox so that players would be encouraged and forced to actually micro the units. The dragbox (is that whats its called?) is the box that makes you select multiple units in a sector by dragging a box around them before you attackmove against the enemy. Without the dragbox blobbing would be much harder.

I guess that such a change would imply some other changes. Maybe the tempo of the game would slow down a bit. But I cant see any negative consequences. Thoughts?
26 Dec 2014, 20:15 PM

26 Dec 2014, 20:16 PM

The blobbomaster will probably say that we need a nerf to threads like this. But as long as the blobs keep on coming it would be strange if we didnt discuss them. As title says a solution could be to nerf the way we move the game instead of finding the solution in nerfs and buffs. It could be that Relics testing (if there ever was one) shows that the units are balanced, so why change them? Then maybe its better to remove the dragbox so that players would be encouraged and forced to actually micro the units. The dragbox (is that whats its called?) is the box that makes you select multiple units in a sector by dragging a box around them before you attackmove against the enemy. Without the dragbox blobbing would be much harder.

I guess that such a change would imply some other changes. Maybe the tempo of the game would slow down a bit. But I cant see any negative consequences. Thoughts?

You can still group them and move groups. heck, you could probably create a macro that creates the groups.
26 Dec 2014, 20:23 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Nope terrible idea. Dragboxes are important to quickly select a squad if you don't have the time to particullary select it. They've been a basic element of RTS for ages, changing this would be the wrong approach.

It's the design of certain factions that cause blobbing, not the basic tools that label a RTS game.
26 Dec 2014, 20:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Dec 2014, 20:23 PMluvnest

It's the design of certain factions that cause blobbing, not the basic tools that label a RTS game.

I am not as sure as you about that.
26 Dec 2014, 20:32 PM

Nope, no, niet, nicht, nie.
26 Dec 2014, 20:34 PM

That isnt the only way to select large groups of infantry...

Obviously, no.
26 Dec 2014, 20:45 PM
Donator 11

hahahahaha you made me laugh.

ps. terrible idea
26 Dec 2014, 20:48 PM

Double click on Volks, clickclickclicklclickclick on screcks, A, click, move on.

This thread ends here. :)
26 Dec 2014, 20:55 PM

Good god no! I use the drag-box for everything, even selecting individuals. It's much faster than slowing down to click on a unit to select them.
26 Dec 2014, 21:19 PM

Nope, no, niet, nicht, nie.

Ok, as I understand it. This is the leading counteragument in this post :)
26 Dec 2014, 21:55 PM

You could still select all squads easily without a drag box... double click. Control group. Done.

Why would you remove a fundamental mechanical element of playing RTS? Bad idea man...
26 Dec 2014, 22:34 PM

Man, this has been in so many RTS's..
Bad idea.
26 Dec 2014, 22:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Dec 2014, 20:23 PMluvnest
Nope terrible idea. Dragboxes are important to quickly select a squad if you don't have the time to particullary select it. They've been a basic element of RTS for ages, changing this would be the wrong approach.

+ 1

There could be a very minor penalty for blobbing, Possibly if 3+ squads are grouped together they could take increased damage from enemy small arms fire since there are more bodies to hit.

27 Dec 2014, 00:01 AM
Patrion 28

yeah, i already control group everything any way, whether i blob or not. the only thing removing the selection box is going to do is encourage better micro
27 Dec 2014, 00:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Dec 2014, 21:55 PMCieZ
You could still select all squads easily without a drag box... double click. Control group. Done.

Why would you remove a fundamental mechanical element of playing RTS?

Yeah I guess they will find a way anyway.
I would remove a lot to get rid of the blobs, I thought I made it clear in the post? :)
27 Dec 2014, 01:01 AM

Make MGs effective at supressing infantry and magically all blobs will disappear.
27 Dec 2014, 01:24 AM

I went back to the RTS grand-daddy Dune II briefly. They only had single unit selection in that and it nearly drove me insane :p They had added group selection by the next game (C&C).
27 Dec 2014, 08:20 AM

DUDE WUT????

One does not simply ruin UI because of that. You know that Gameplay is a different thing right?

I have a better idea then. Why not make the game "Men Of War" style, so you have to manually reload units, loot enemy soldiers for grenades etc.
28 Dec 2014, 22:22 PM
Donator 33

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Dec 2014, 01:24 AMCyanara
I went back to the RTS grand-daddy Dune II briefly. They only had single unit selection in that and it nearly drove me insane :p They had added group selection by the next game (C&C).

Yeah, moving your army takes so much micro a Devastator can roll in and self-destruct lol

Also, the original Warcraft.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS