Login

russian armor

Company of Heroes 2 BETA 1v1 Tournament - A big thanks!

22 Apr 2013, 03:57 AM
Benefactor 115

Firstly I’d like to say thank you to everyone who participated and promoted this tournament. The event wouldn’t be anything without you.

Secondly I’d like to congratulate BartonPL for winning the tournament and also to OMGPOP! for coming second. I hope you enjoyed playing in a tournament setting and that I will see you all return for future events. As the purpose for these events is to strengthen and build the community in the spirit of competition which makes everyone important not just the people who finish in the top 8.

I’ve uploaded all the replays for the tournament in one pack for everyone to watch and you can download the pack here and the full bracket can be viewed here.

The vetted casters have also taken a look at the replays and will be doing casts of the games, so keep tabs on the youtube channels of The Frontline Network, The Propagandacast and RnP Gaming.

I will be arranging more events for fans of the Company of Heroes franchise, so stay tuned to this space!

Regards

Liam Kai Fung Ip

http://ipkaifung.tumblr.com/post/48588782970/company-of-heroes-2-closed-beta-1v1-tournament
22 Apr 2013, 06:57 AM

I had a blast thanks for putting it together man.
22 Apr 2013, 06:57 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Good stuff, Ipkai :thumb:
22 Apr 2013, 07:42 AM

Congratz Barton, OMG and Sunangel :D
22 Apr 2013, 09:03 AM
Coder Red Badge

22 Apr 2013, 09:08 AM

Nice job IpKai! Bartons is the king MVGame

Wish I could of played. Damn timezones :(
22 Apr 2013, 18:16 PM

Is there a replay missing or did OMGPOP just give up after the series got tied 2-2? Or do I still not understand double elimination rules?
22 Apr 2013, 18:18 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

The latter. Double elim grand finals go like this:

If the winner of the winner's bracket wins (lololol wordplay) the first Best-of-3 match, he wins the whole tournament (his opponent has now lost two matches and is eliminated).

If the winner of the winner's bracket loses the first Best-of-3 match, that is his first tourney match loss, so he is not eliminated and gets another chance. They then play a second Best-of-3 to decide the grand champion.

So in the case of IpKai's tourney, Barton lost the first match 0-2, but came back and won the second match 2-0, thus winning the tournament.
22 Apr 2013, 18:19 PM

Isn't it something like:
Losers brackets finalist has to win 2 series, like 2 BO3's.
Winners brackets finalist only has to win 1 series.

I find double elimination a bit confusing too, whats actually the semi-finals etc :P
22 Apr 2013, 18:44 PM
Honorary Member Badge

gonna be honest i much prefer single elim as its just the best of the best from each bracket (as long as the brackets aren't stacked) go at it much simpler and the loser bracket doesn't have to win 2 best of 3's or 5's to win which isn't gonna happen most of the time. (doesn't seem as interesting.)
22 Apr 2013, 18:58 PM
Benefactor 115

players in many other games come back and win from the losers bracket. It all depends on how fired up they are after they lose the first time.
22 Apr 2013, 19:26 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

One of the benefits of double-elim is that you're absolutely sure to have the best and second-best player face each other, which is not necessarily the case if the seeds aren't perfect in a single-elim. The drawback is of course the staggered round structure and potential wait times.
22 Apr 2013, 21:19 PM

Thanks for the explanation Ami.
23 Apr 2013, 00:45 AM

As Ami said, double elimination is much better for deciding who the best players are, since if they lose to a good player early on in the tournament, they can still come back by defeating the players that had easier matchups. It also takes into account unforeseen variables, such as a player feeling sick during a round or otherwise unable to play well. It puts less stress on the player to win every single game, and instead allows them to understand that they won't always play a great round, but they aren't out completely (unlike single elimination, where if you lose round 1 against the best player in the tourny, you still feel like shit even though it was bad luck to meet him first).

Of course, if it's all scheduled on one day then you'll be completely burnt out by the end, where single elimination has far fewer games. I think of it as long-distance cross country running compared to sprinting in track. Different types of pressure. :)
23 Apr 2013, 01:16 AM
Honorary Member Badge

i think having either a day break or a several hour break in between the final match would allow for a more competitive match for viewers i know it takes away from the marathon like compitetion but still. im not sure what the actual players think on this be interesting to know what they prefer.

if they'd want the momentum or the rest.
23 Apr 2013, 01:32 AM

It'd depend on how many rounds there are for me. I'd rather play all my games in one day, but I know I'd be too tired after playing 8-10 games against strong opponents. Stopping at the semi-finals or quarter-finals may be good, since then the players can watch over their replays and relax before the hardest games. The players would be rested and the games would hopefully be streamed/viewed with better technical skills and tactics.
23 Apr 2013, 02:58 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Seeing the final 4 games really left me ready for the tie breaker. In my mind it still felt like 2-2. /shrug
23 Apr 2013, 03:12 AM

Barton is now officially the first COH2EXPERT due to this MVGame
23 Apr 2013, 03:48 AM
Benefactor 115

Double Elimination is a format I want to push more. I personally think it's better for players, it also produces more games to make content and also provides for some great story lines i.e. player X being knocked to losers in round 1 then comes back to win the tournament in grand finals 4-0.

It's also a great way of reducing the infamous random factor that people like to bitch about when playing most video games competitively.
23 Apr 2013, 04:19 AM

Double elim is better. I got taken out in the second bracket, but went far in the loosers bracket. It was tons of fun that I wouldn't have have had, with Single elim.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 33
unknown 6
Germany 5
unknown 3
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L