Login

russian armor

A problem with Casemates,pathing (deep snow)

14 Nov 2014, 15:50 PM

Didn't know if this is a balance issue or gameplay issue,but here it is.This is also my first major post,as i've recently upgraded from a 'lurker'.Ive also invested 850+ hours so I wouldnt say im your average scrub. So please, if the Wehraboos or Stalin hammers could at least insert rationale into their forthcoming comments that would be great :)

As we know, the current meta in late game consists chiefly of heavy vehicle spam with the sprinkling of oddballs such as t-34 spam, or even the adventurous lone t-70 from the more creative players. To state the obvious, it is because I feel that these are the only routes that are safe in current multiplayer environment, with the latter being the most risky. Your also in for quite the wall of text, so sit tight.

I myself try to avoid spamming call-in vehicles as game play can quickly become stale , as a result, I opt for the stock units which are bolstered by Commander abilities ( Conscript repair is divine!!).As of late, I have been trying to create viable builds which focus heavily on T4 and the only stock dedicated AT unit, the SU-85. Now I understand that the vehicle is a casemate with a D-5 85 mm gun strapped to the chassis and so mobility isnt it's forte, but is it really an excuse for the awful turning capability that the tank possesses? I have seen breeze blocks traverse terrain with an improved agility over this thing. I'm aware that the vehicle has had its turn speed reduced way back , as it was once indeed the bane of P4's and the like, but that was when it had stronger frontal armour, cost less, focused sight didn't hamper your vehicle's speed and was before the 'penetration over distance' parameter was implemented.

I've just looked on COH2 stats to find the value for 'turning speed',couldn't find anything is it a flat value for every vehicle? Maybe a Stats guru could fill the gap. Either way, turning speed on the SU-85 and indeed all casemates is critical in determining the success of an engagement. More often that not the casemates will flounder around by turning a whole 180 degrees in order to bypass that questionably impenetrable shrub, or haphazardly bounce left to right to navigate around the impudent outcrop of rocks.

The problem is only exacerbated by deep snow, where the quality of movement is hampered further. Realistically this stands true , but in COH 2 terms it has led to an already clumsy vehicle becoming even clumsier. I would happily compare the vehicle's pathing to a socially inept nerd at the prom dance,trying to keep in step to the music, only to trip over himself repeatedly . May I suggest reducing the negative impact of deep snow on the SU-85 and the Jgdpzr 4 specifically? it would at least allow the tanks to perform their role with adequate success when engaging a tank whilst navigating around obstacles.

Certain maps do not help either, the newly acquired Vielsam for example.As the allies, on the bottom left, or as the Axis on the top right , you are confronted with amassed snow, mottled with bushes, sawn timber and the odd house... Satan's maze for any casemate who would dare to engage a tank. I guess as a whole, the pathing in general is the major contributor to the many blunders my vehicles have had. Dont get me wrong, I would say my vehicle micro is pretty top-notch, but at some point your vehicle will inevitably screw up.

there is my two cents. Please feel free to pick holes into the post :)
14 Nov 2014, 16:23 PM
Patrion 14

i believe one of the major point is that call ins and heavy tanks are just no brainer when compared to more, lets say, conservative non doc strats.

well there have been threads about this, and i believe relic is addressing heavy tank issue and call in issues with their control group.

as to maps... oh well. just give more vetoes while working on fixes. because for some reason, they aren't capable of making simple map fixes in a timely manner.
14 Nov 2014, 16:41 PM

Yeah the pathfinding for the SU85 is pitiful. It desperately needs a buff

Vielsam is like Hill 331 but with deep snow :(
14 Nov 2014, 18:21 PM

Pathfinding is problematic since beta of CoH2 and it is still not fixed and probably never will. How many times I lost tank not because of my bad play but it starts to rotating when it should go forward etc etc... Some maps are also badly balanced and fixes are slow like hell dunno why.
14 Nov 2014, 18:21 PM

They should just increase the turning rate for tracked vehicles, I don't see why it has to be so slow. All it does is exacerbate existing path-finding problems. I watched some CoH1 games and the path-finding was no better, the only difference was vehicles turned much quicker.
14 Nov 2014, 19:22 PM

They should just increase the turning rate for tracked vehicles, I don't see why it has to be so slow. All it does is exacerbate existing path-finding problems. I watched some CoH1 games and the path-finding was no better, the only difference was vehicles turned much quicker.

what do you mean tracked? lie every tank in the game or only case-mate style tanks like the Jagdpanzer 4 and SU85? Increasing the rotation speed could work but only in small increments.
14 Nov 2014, 20:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Nov 2014, 19:22 PMNinjaWJ
what do you mean tracked? lie every tank in the game or only case-mate style tanks like the Jagdpanzer 4 and SU85? Increasing the rotation speed could work but only in small increments.

Vehicles with tracks, as opposed to vehicles with wheels.
14 Nov 2014, 23:13 PM

This is a good post.

A small buff across the board to turning speed could make pathing less frustrating as well as increase the skill level somewhat - fast reaction times will be more rewarded. But there is obviously a fine line, and incremental changes are best - you don't want SU85s turning so fast flanks aren't possible. A buff so big it makes a really obvious improvement in pathfinding is probably going to be too big. Obstacle detection and other methods of improving pathfinding should be looked at first.

Particularly I don't see any reason pathfinding couldn't be improved so vehicles start to turn a meter or so before the obstacle rather than right when they're on top of it, where they often get hung up. But this is also a game design issue - maybe Relic thinks the status quo rewards players who do more waypoints and so it's helpful for raising the skill cap.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 47
unknown 18
Russian Federation 10
United States 14

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %