Login

russian armor

A talk about teammates

10 Nov 2014, 21:09 PM

These are some things that irk me in 2v2, teammates who:

A. Think they are better than they really are and spout it in the chat.

B. Blame you for their loses even though you are fighting an enemy push on another side of the map.

C. Spam the chat with how they are going to quit and then attack your base or/and refuse to move when you don't surrender right away.

I do get frustrated when players don't surrender when they have 2 or less units with no AT and the enemy has several tanks (which happens) and they are waiting for their Tiger/IS-2/ISU call-in which they think is going to magically win them the game (not with their sub-par skills).

In the above game though I still had most of my army, but he had lost a lot of his (my fault apparently) and wanted me to quit, even though the enemy wasn't in great shape either. So he sends his tank to start attacking my HQ and refuses to move his other units.

In the chat you can see he starts screaming about being double teamed one time when the enemy ran around my maxim at him, but notice I send my maxim over to help, so I don't know why he was crying about it so hard.

Also notice that at the very beginning he pings the enemy on his side's Kubel for me to attack, so I sacrifice starting power on my side, I send a Maxim over to help him, then later when I am getting pushed back, does he send any help? No! He screams at me for being a noob, even though I sacrificed starting cap power because he couldn't beat the first Kubel.

I did make a mistake with the Zis-Gun (I didn't realize I had asked it to attack the Schwer-Panzer HQ), that was bad play on my part.

What frustrates you about 2v2+ teammates?
(Keep individual names out of it, let's not let this develop into a hate thread.)

What do you do to try and help your teammate?

The in-game chat is really sub-par and I use Auto-hot-key to help me micro, so I have to turn it off an on when I want to chat. Which is why there is some gibberish there in the middle.
10 Nov 2014, 21:13 PM

Or you can play with AT partner.
10 Nov 2014, 21:21 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

The best things you can do for your teammate are:

- Limit your responses to "ok", "thanks", and "gg wp"
- Ignore him if he tries to communicate with you in any way that can't be responded to that way
- Ignore him if he pings you for help
- Refuse to help him. Always push your side.

This is a sure recipe for success that works for me 70% of the time :D
10 Nov 2014, 21:42 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post10 Nov 2014, 21:21 PMRomeo

So what's the point of a 2v2 if you're going to focus on just your side? When I'm in 2v2s, I generally try to send some of my best synergizing units to my teammates side, and it works out well more often than not. (i.e. if we're double soviets, I'm T1 he's T2, and he's facing OKW, I'll send my first flamecar to push the OKW off the map while maxims get control.)
10 Nov 2014, 21:44 PM

Find mates for you and play AT. You can use Teamspeak and create team tactics.

If you want play random, try helping your mate all game. Is better play for him, then wait he play for you. :D
10 Nov 2014, 21:55 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

So what's the point of a 2v2 if you're going to focus on just your side?

My advice is really only about 2v2 random. In 2v2 AT you should do whatever you want with your teammate to create the best possible synergy.

I'm simply stating what works best for me with regard to avoiding verbal abuse and team killing. Whether or not you win was decided on the loading screen if you have a teammate like that... unless he gets frustrated by your silence and rage quits, at which point you can then make a sincere attempt at victory with the AI.
10 Nov 2014, 22:34 PM

If somebody verbally abuses me in game, teammate or not, I'm just going to not talk to that person. I don't have to take that. We all have a lot of responsibilities outside of this game that are actually important, unlike a random 2v2 game of company of heroes.

Also don't take it personally if you are insulted. It's likely that their demeanor in real life is much different than their attitude in game. They probably don't even care about what they're saying.
11 Nov 2014, 00:12 AM

I once had a teammate try to trap me in my base and demo me to death in 2v2 randumbs. Responded accordingly by b4ing him to death(put wire all around my b4s so he couldn't demo them). Definitely an enjoyable experience for me. :snfPeter:

Also goes to show that when teammates throw lemons at you, you hit them when nukes. :snfPeter:
11 Nov 2014, 00:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Nov 2014, 00:12 AMVonIvan
I once had a teammate try to trap me in my base and demo me to death in 2v2 randumbs. Responded accordingly by b4ing him to death(put wire all around my b4s so he couldn't demo them). Definitely an enjoyable experience for me. :snfPeter:

Also goes to show that when teammates throw lemons at you, you hit them when nukes. :snfPeter:

Do you have that recorded somewhere? :D Would be interesting to watch.
11 Nov 2014, 02:58 AM

Unfortunately I work a weekly scheduled job so teaming up with someone is difficult. I mean if we lose, then we lose. Just don't be a big baby about it and blame your lack of skills on another player.

Another problem is players who like to push really aggressively and just expect you to follow them without saying anything. I play more defensively and if you don't say anything to me, then I won't know to push forward.
11 Nov 2014, 04:31 AM

The best things you can do for your teammate are:

- Ignore him if he tries to communicate with you in any way that can't be responded to that way
- Ignore him if he pings you for help

This is a sure recipe for success that works for me 70% of the time :D

I agree with this, but have one gripe. Helping your teammate is good if you have captured any fuel and victory points in your sector. Once i have those defended by support teams i move up my tanks and infantry to flank the enemy in the other sector, preferably timed during one of my Buddy's frontal assaults. I also try to support my teammates with arty barrages and try to keep my mortars close enough to help them out. At least in a defensive battle. Every little bit helps.
11 Nov 2014, 04:48 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

im in a similar situation as you OP and i just simply play 1v1 mostly now unless i can recruit a partner.

playing random US teamgames is literally the worst way to play coh2 in my opinion.
11 Nov 2014, 05:57 AM

play 1v1, find a good opponents, ask him if he wants to team with you, problem solved, if you play random game,there will always be noob teammate, other games are the same
11 Nov 2014, 07:49 AM
Patrion 14

Thats the natur of 2v2 random. He doesn´t know you, you don´t know him and its all in the internet. So there are zero reasons to be nice and friendly. Thats what the most people think at least. So they blame their mate for there mistakes, insult him for what ever reason and invest more them in pinging the playing the game.

And this wont chance at all.

So if want to play 2v2 random anyway this works for me in CoH1:
-keep the communication short and friendly
-don´t mention your mates mistakes (he will just start to rage)
-try to help your mate even if he wont help you
-don´t expect anything from your mate besides it´s some guy you know (for example if he says he will get AT -> get your own AT anyway)
-if you think you got no chance to win just write gg in to all and leave

You will still lose many games but thats how it works.
11 Nov 2014, 08:05 AM

In 2vs2 random Allied,

When the map permit it, I always go mid and try to give an early support to my mate with a good flank.
The objective is to quickly overcome one of Axis player and when it is done, flank my side.

Of course, it depends on how my partner does well.

That strat works very well on Rail & Metal.
That strat works very very well vs 2 Axis players going early MG and Mortar or bunker since they don't have the resource to counter attack together.

That strat doesn't work at all if your partner is actually a dick (and it happens more than you expect)
11 Nov 2014, 09:27 AM

Don't know if ironic but IMO that is really the way to go.
I HATE it when the other players think it's Facebook chat.
11 Nov 2014, 11:58 AM

I have had some good teammates, where attack here pings work and quick tiger then ping lets them know that the biggest axis threat hit the field.

Some people just think I have telepathy and can read their minds.

So for all Random team game players:
Communicate! It doesn't have to be a sentence, just a quick unit warning or a heavy counterattack warning. Don't get mad at me if you didn't tell me that you were getting overwhelmed and I didn't know to come help.

Any other advice for random teammates?

(I try to not make every thread just a blatant rage thread, but I do let off some steam and also try to get input out there for other players to improve their play.)
11 Nov 2014, 14:57 PM

Good advice Broodwarjc ...

A quick ping with a one or two word note is great ...
ping ... puma
ping ... blob
ping ... lost vp
etc.

I had a problem on city this morning where I was winning my side and starting to probe the base defenses and then I see the surrender pop up for my team!!!
I'm thinking WTF!!! I've pushed them back to their base, I have rockets hitting the base, tanks building to rush BUT it's the reverse going on the other side. They have said nothing and I'm so intent on what I'm doing I haven't been checking the mini map.
I probably could have fallen back to a defensive position and sent support over to regain ground on their side.
Situational awareness is very important!!
11 Nov 2014, 15:10 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Nov 2014, 04:31 AMsirtrex

I agree with this, but have one gripe. Helping your teammate is good if you have captured any fuel and victory points in your sector. Once i have those defended by support teams i move up my tanks and infantry to flank the enemy in the other sector, preferably timed during one of my Buddy's frontal assaults. I also try to support my teammates with arty barrages and try to keep my mortars close enough to help them out. At least in a defensive battle. Every little bit helps.

In my experience it's better to continue pushing your side until you are in an enemy base. More than likely the other opponent will send forces to help push you back, splitting his firepower and his micro and making it much easier for your teammate to gain ground.

Don't know if ironic but IMO that is really the way to go. I HATE it when the other players think it's Facebook chat.

I'm being completely serious. Anyone who's ever seen me stream knows that this is exactly what I do :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★