Login

russian armor

So Avast decided to screw with CoH2...

6 Nov 2014, 18:09 PM

And here is a clean way to get around it: Open your Avast, go to Parameters, then the Antivirus tab, scroll down to find the "Exclusions" (might be localized, as i have a French avast version, might be called exceptions in an english client). To be sure everything was working as intended, i rebooted PC, and then launched CoH2 again.

To be fair, the first time didn't work only using Avast exclusions, so i disabled Avast for 10 mins, relaunched the game so it downloaded the .exe again, then i only added the Steam folder to the Avast white list.

Here is how it looks in Avast once done:
Avast setup
6 Nov 2014, 18:14 PM

I had avast on and I was able to play CoH2, did Avast prevented you from playing CoH2?
6 Nov 2014, 18:23 PM

Actually, it kept deleting my .exe after an Avast update this afternoon. FestiveLongJohns had the same issue as i saw in the chatbox, so i decided to post the fix here, in case somebody else had the same issue. Maybe you don't have auto updates ON in Avast ? It seems the older build didn't impact coh2, as it broke up during the afternoon for me (was working until 5pm CET, then it was impossible to launch the game).It would only occur after leaving the game and trying to relaunch it though, i don't know for sure what did avast break.
6 Nov 2014, 18:27 PM
Patrion 15

This happened to me just this morning as well. I verified the game files to get the .exe downloaded again, and added my entire steam folder to the avast exceptions. Worked for me.
6 Nov 2014, 18:54 PM

Thank you for the quick post , I just had the same problem. Restarting pc now
6 Nov 2014, 19:14 PM
Benefactor 117

Same here, didnt see this post and allready reinstalled coh2 now currently updating! added steam follder to expeptions in avast, hope it will run again! <444>_<444>
6 Nov 2014, 19:56 PM

i got it as exception now, but still it wont download anything, i even tried to uninstall the avast, just cant get the exe anymore
6 Nov 2014, 20:10 PM

how to put it as an exclusion? i can't find parameters tab

EDIT: fixing it now
6 Nov 2014, 20:34 PM

Thanks for sharing, I have been troubleshooting this all day.
6 Nov 2014, 20:39 PM

Some people on the other forums were complaining that CoH2 was detected as a virus on a different program (don't remember the name, I don't think it was English). Relic must've put in a line of code somewhere that these anti-virus really don't like :P
6 Nov 2014, 21:05 PM

I added the steam folder to the exclusion list. It doesnt work for me :/
6 Nov 2014, 21:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Nov 2014, 21:05 PMtanju
I added the steam folder to the exclusion list. It doesnt work for me :/

I did this and it worked

1. launched game and it did not work.
2. put steamapps/common folder in exclusions
3. verified game files and it redownloaded some stuff
4. Game worked.
6 Nov 2014, 21:24 PM

Hi coh2.org Guys.

Same thing was happening to me today.
Even though i clicked the "make exeption" in the avast-popup it didn't work. I tinkered about with avast, added exeption, checked coh2 files in steam, reboot - done.

switching avast off, didn't help, since that relic-something.exe already got removed from the game folder.
6 Nov 2014, 21:31 PM

Hi coh2.org Guys.

Same thing was happening to me today.
Even though i clicked the "make exeption" in the avast-popup it didn't work. I tinkered about with avast, added exeption, checked coh2 files in steam, reboot - done.

switching avast off, didn't help, since that relic-something.exe already got removed from the game folder.

You have to disable avast before re-downloading the executable file. Then, once it is physically present on your hard drive, you add the exception into Avast so that it doesn't remove it again. You can check if the .exe is there: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Company of Heroes 2. Name of the file is RelicCoh2.exe

Only then you can launch CoH2 (if i understand correctly how Avast works, it checks executable files once they are trying to be executed, and when the process is killed -when you leave the game-). In a perfect world, only adding the exclusion then verifying game files should be ok, disabling avast is the riskier way to do it (but guaranteed to work).

NinjaWJ summed the order of the steps in his previous post, #12.
6 Nov 2014, 22:28 PM

I did this and it worked

1. launched game and it did not work.
2. put steamapps/common folder in exclusions
3. verified game files and it redownloaded some stuff
4. Game worked.

Works now! Thankies
6 Nov 2014, 23:00 PM

Happened to me too. Weird thing.
good you guys actually found this out , because i didnt get any notifications from avast
6 Nov 2014, 23:27 PM

Happened to me too. Weird thing.
good you guys actually found this out , because i didnt get any notifications from avast

Me neither, and someone hinted me in the chatbox to check my AV, which i did, since it is typical behaviour of those anti malware software. There was no trace of it in the quarantine too, and no warning whatsoever (probably in the application logs, which i didn't want to dig for). I realized it would work when steam finally managed to redownload the .exe when avast was disabled for 10 mins.

Glad that post finally helped some ;)
7 Nov 2014, 05:50 AM

Weird, have avast (free version) and never had any issues.
7 Nov 2014, 09:51 AM
Honorary Member Badge

AVG FTW!!!
7 Nov 2014, 10:19 AM

edit from above^^

updated CoH2 just now and avast said coh2.exe is virus or something lol
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L