Login

russian armor

Interview Greg Wilson about October Patch

28 Oct 2014, 20:15 PM

I'm reading a quite a few comments about people considering 'rewarding' Relics work by buying the overpriced single-player campaign. It seems that if you just wait months to fix bugs people seem to forget you have sold them a broken product.
28 Oct 2014, 20:16 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Replays are a recreation, not a recording. All the actions you see are not what happened before, they are an exact duplication. Since you cannot rewind gameplay, you cannot rewind here either.

Other games that have replays which are recreations rather than recordings (like Dota 2 and Starcraft II) also allow rewinding.
28 Oct 2014, 20:21 PM

I'm reading a quite a few comments about people considering 'rewarding' Relics work by buying the overpriced single-player campaign. It seems that if you just wait months to fix bugs people seem to forget you have sold them a broken product.

While I hardly think it's fair to consider CoH2 'Broken', I do agree that I don't understand the mentality of buying something you don't want to 'support' a developer. I would rather 'support' them by purchasing a product I actually want to buy from them rather than something I have no interest in.

I am happy to read in the interview that they have more multiplayer content coming along, and I'm fine with them creating single player content, even though it's not my jam.
28 Oct 2014, 20:25 PM

Replays are a recreation, not a recording. All the actions you see are not what happened before, they are an exact duplication. Since you cannot rewind gameplay, you cannot rewind here either.

since the replay knows exactly where,when and what units are at any given point of the game, it cant be impossible to have a rewind..
28 Oct 2014, 20:26 PM

don't other games have a rewind feature? DOta 2?
28 Oct 2014, 20:35 PM

Fantastic news about the mod tools! I really hope relic pays attention to the balance mods that come out of the community. We have a lot of balance and faction redesign ideas on Coh2.org. It would be amazing if modders could turn some of those ideas into mods that could be tested in game, and it would be even more amazing if relic was willing to adopt some of the more successful changes into live.
28 Oct 2014, 20:53 PM

I do have interest in Ardennes Assault. And guess what! I will buy it! Yes!
28 Oct 2014, 20:57 PM

Kkkkkk, nerf OKW = money for Ardennes. Only after this.
28 Oct 2014, 20:59 PM

I think ImperialDane should get a big shoutout for his tireless dedication to casting too. His is like the one channel I know every night is going to have a new cast to enjoy.
28 Oct 2014, 21:00 PM
Benefactor 115

since the replay knows exactly where,when and what units are at any given point of the game, it cant be impossible to have a rewind..

except it doesn't: replays are only a collection of the issued commands, any state at any given time is not in the replay itself but the result of a command on the previous state
28 Oct 2014, 21:05 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Oct 2014, 20:59 PMEnkidu
I think ImperialDane should get a big shoutout for his tireless dedication to casting too. His is like the one channel I know every night is going to have a new cast to enjoy.

+1

As for the other stuff, I want to create a group that works on supporting a [working title] 'WW3-1945' mod that is a counterfactual USA versus USSR game with new late war units and so on.
28 Oct 2014, 21:10 PM
Donator 11

I dont understand why its so hard to do rewind in replays. Replays are just commands replaying from already from an recorded order. So when you already played out the commands when you reach the end of the replay why can't the replay just jump back into a command line it already played? It should know the state of the replay back in time since it already played out that part.
28 Oct 2014, 21:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Oct 2014, 21:00 PMtuvok

except it doesn't: replays are only a collection of the issued commands, any state at any given time is not in the replay itself but the result of a command on the previous state

since u seem to have knowledge about the subject (which i lack), why cant the system just revert the commands? simplefied:
command 1
command 2
command 3

rewind:
command 3
command 2
command 1
28 Oct 2014, 21:24 PM

why he didn't mentioned me there :snfBarton:
28 Oct 2014, 21:33 PM

since u seem to have knowledge about the subject (which i lack), why cant the system just revert the commands? simplefied:
command 1
command 2
command 3

rewind:
command 3
command 2
command 1

Game engine doesn't work like that. You can fire a gun, but you can't "unfire" a gun.

In some ways, game replays resemble video compression algorithms. In video compression algorithms, they store transformation vectors (movement, rotation, size change), and then "play" those much like the commands in a game replay. In order to have rewind/skip ahead working in compressed video, the video file will have periodic "key frames", where the full video frame is stored. This would be equivalent to storing the full, current state of the game, rather than just commands. When skipping to a different portion of the video, it finds the most recent key frame, performs all the transformations from that point until the point you asked it to skip to.

I'm guessing coh2 doesn't have key frames (aside from the beginning of the game being in effect the staring key frame), so skipping is impossible without replaying from everything from the beginning. Adding key frames is a large undertaking, hence it's not there. It's not a trivial task.
28 Oct 2014, 21:39 PM

Same here :snfPeter:
28 Oct 2014, 21:56 PM

Yes your tireless efforts to invent new ways of playing like triple sniper + guards into ISU have been of great benefit to the popularity of this game.
28 Oct 2014, 22:07 PM

The gifs are hilarious and if you are tired of current meta, do what he does and come up with new one :snfPeter:

And why do I even keep reading these interviews? A whole lot of absolutely nothing.
28 Oct 2014, 22:22 PM

Because you're a nobody who spends his days finding strats that spoil the game experience or making childish gifs?

Nobody of importance will ever mention you.

And this is why this forum needs an ignore feature.

Also, the irony of that signature never gets old.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★