Login

russian armor

USF infantry overpriced?

Vaz
15 Oct 2014, 14:54 PM

Maybe it's just me, but USF infantry seems to cost more than they are worth on the field. Riflemen are pretty decent when they come out, but it seems like they have crappier vet bonuses and end up getting pwned later on by cheaper infantry, solely due to vet.

The battle with voilks is really stupid I think. The main reason is the grenade. The timer is super short and the animation very fast. It's very rare that I can dodge this grenade without losing at least 1 man. The timer seems shorter than the paratroopers cooked grenade.

If you can get to medium range or closer against grenadiers your golden. This fight is ok, until t2 happens. rifle grenades and lmg42 are a serious pain. Even then, you can still kind of deal with it. Vet2 this matchup just completely breaks down. You can travel about 5-10 meters into the lmg range and then you have to retreat. Cover helps, but all things equal you lose.

Obers...LOL. Vet obers :foreveralone:
Ok it's not the ober squad, even with their received accuracy bonuses. The lmg34 is just stupid good. On any squad it breaks down fundamental parts of this game. Cover can pretty much be ignored so long as you aren't in negative cover. Far away, up close, it doesn't matter.

Falls are fairly terrible and die easy. Until vet5, then they can't be stopped. I think this could be seen in the bonus game Romeo recently casted of Lenny. The falls couldn't be stopped, I wonder what the killcount was on them.

The funny thing is, I never seem to see the axis troops drop like this in infantry battles. Against vehicles they do. We all agree the BAR is shitty. The M1919LMG seems like pure rng. Sometimes it's really well, other times it's like you picked up an airsoft gun. Thompsons are awesome, but there is little access to them. Aside from the bullet magnet captain, there is no non-commander specific access to thompsons. Considering what Relic has done with the weapon racks, it would be nice to be able to pick up some thompsons from a rack. Smoke grenade + thompsons would work wonders.

So the point here is to discuss how to deal with late infantry, preferably with infantry.
15 Oct 2014, 16:01 PM
Donator 22

Paratrooper is the anwser.

Paratroopers are the only front line inf we got, if they get vet. Usually I go 3 riflemens lieut pathfinder AA HT then one Para, if my riflemens die I replace them with Para, when they come out, this littles bad boys became my main troops and Rifles are only here to support them.

They're "decent" without vet bu when they hit vet 2 , they became just as good as Obers.

I don't agree with you for m1919, it's a good upgrade, but you need to set up the defence stance vs late german infantery or you will basicly loose the fight.

Grenade is pretty variable as you have to pray that your opponent don't see it, smoke screen can be usefull but I don't really use them (Can't go grenade if m1919 for para + para nade + p47+0.5 cal on sherman .....).

Unless you got m1919 or para, you can't win late game inf fight, that's why sherman and m8 are here for.

But one more time, in pure inf vs inf, Para, para everywhere.

P.S : A thompson rack with a new CQC commander yeah ! I'll love that, even if it won't be viable :'(.
15 Oct 2014, 16:10 PM

What makes it so difficult is how easy it is for the Germans to get an infantry blob going and upgrade their units in the middle of a battle. The only way I've found to counter is with a micro managed M8A1 and 2xparatroopers with M1919 and an LMG team for supression. In terms of AT, it's just whoever else is left gets bazookas be it Riflemen, RE, or even my Major. Infantry blobs with USF is just a one-way ticket to death, especially if caught in a stuka rocket barrage. However, due to the range of the M8A1, you could make the OKW player think twice before he blobs with inf.
16 Oct 2014, 08:00 AM

I think, riflemen is not so expensive. It's not bad. (but i think, veteran rifleman needs change to 290)

paratrooper, It's some... expensive. OK It's not bad infantry and you can call this unit everywhere.

but It's not strong without any weapon. and you needs much muni for get weapons. so I think, need some change.
Vaz
16 Oct 2014, 11:52 AM

yea considering that you can't just deploy paratroopers anywhere safely like infiltration units, I would say the base paratrooper cost is kind of high for what you get.
16 Oct 2014, 13:24 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

riflemen are pretty terrible. There's a reason USF players go airborne every single game now.
16 Oct 2014, 13:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Oct 2014, 13:24 PMRomeo
riflemen are pretty terrible. There's a reason USF players go airborne every single game now.
This.

I've seen my riflemen having an equal fight against a poorly microed grenadiere squad at close range. I thought those M1s the Army gave them was supposed to give them the edge in every fight? Doesn't seem so to me. I was capping while in cover at Kholodny Ferma behind that tank at the center VP. He rushed his grenadiere and got onto the other side of tank and actually almost beat my riflemen which never moved. I was also watching them constantly to make sure they don't hop out of cover.

Can't say much about paratroopers though. Haven't use them a lot.
16 Oct 2014, 13:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Oct 2014, 13:29 PMsteel
This.

I've seen my riflemen having an equal fight against a poorly microed grenadiere squad at close range. I thought those M1s the Army gave them was supposed to give them the edge in every fight? Doesn't seem so to me. I was capping while in cover at Kholodny Ferma behind that tank at the center VP. He rushed his grenadiere and got onto the other side of tank and actually almost beat my riflemen which never moved. I was also watching them constantly to make sure they don't hop out of cover.

Can't say much about paratroopers though. Haven't use them a lot.

not 100% sure, but, isn´t there a "Damage increase modificator" for troops fighting while capping??? maybe your rifle was capping and his green squad wasn´t ....that maybe can explain it...

anyway, yes, IMHO, rifles should get some better vet bonuses or anything that help them to stay in the fight in late game, coz now USF is forced to use those great but really expensive para squads

16 Oct 2014, 14:11 PM

That mechanic was present in CoH1, when the troops had to pray to the flagpole god to receive its territory.

I too think that, given that the riflemen are the meat and butter of USF, they should A) have a little more punch and B) receive a lot more vet bonuses. And the aura that the officers give to the airborne troops should be given to all troops.
Vaz
16 Oct 2014, 14:29 PM

The entire officer system seemed like it had cool potential, but then seeing the execution, I'm left wondering what's the point? They give aura to a doctrinal unit only. The LT doesn't have at grenades and he's just the guy you get for a BAR. The captain is really terrible and dies super fast, which I still don't understand why. Get rid of those two extra rifles and 3 thompsons and 2 bazooka. Mini Rangers.

I'm trying with paratroopers, but I find myself losing the MP war quick.
18 Oct 2014, 09:56 AM
Donator 22

We will probably got rangers anyway now with AA as a DLC commander

I consider para as a front line unit, I mostly don't drop them on enemy line, i just drop them behind our front and send them crushing things all over the map. Honestly end game I just got paratroopers and one pathfinders, riflemens are useless mid and late game.

That's fun anyway, that USF wich rely on flanking and "sneak" to win the game, has no infiltration unit, but OKW wich rely on heavy frontline assault + flank def, got infiltrations unit + high speed tank early.

Still, I enjoy US much more than OKW, even with the overpriced Riflemens (para sounds overpriced because it does not do the para historical job, but In game they worth the price.)
Vaz
20 Oct 2014, 00:07 AM

Obersoldaten makes paras not worth their price, I think. They are pretty close in cost and where obers come with free lmg, paras dont' beat them with 120mu 2x lmg upgrade. Even with a cover advantage.
20 Oct 2014, 08:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Oct 2014, 00:07 AMVaz
Obersoldaten makes paras not worth their price, I think. They are pretty close in cost and where obers come with free lmg, paras dont' beat them with 120mu 2x lmg upgrade. Even with a cover advantage.

just a lil thing i do to punish lone obers with a lone RF squad, smoke em up close in with BARs see the magic :)

(you might force him to throw his WP smoke/ bundle nades, if that happens then your atleast bleeding his munitions)
20 Oct 2014, 09:04 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Oct 2014, 13:24 PMRomeo

i cant deny a statement from top tier player, But ive noticed a lone rifle squad is bad but 2 of them together are really really good i dont know how but there are several instances where i have managed to win against 1 volks vet3 and 2 panzerfussilers vet2 (without G43) at mid range with 2 RF squads in vet 2.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★