Login

russian armor

The Cost of Balance and Meta

20 Sep 2014, 12:43 PM

I would say no, but only due to the fact of the two main armies being balanced pre-wfa for a month and still giving the same player numbers. More content means more players from around the world, especially since the US army was included recently. Unfortunately this also means weaker balance, but I've found that Relic takes about a year to a year and a half after releasing something to balance it adequately.
20 Sep 2014, 12:59 PM

Make two balanced armies with solid doctrine paths and you will have more fun and diversity in the game than having four broken factions and gimmicky commanders that will never be balanced.
20 Sep 2014, 14:20 PM

I would certainly say YES to the question itself, even though it's pretty much impossible. The commanders would need to completely change the factions so much, that it's basically 10 different factions. Otherwise I just can't see myself having too much fun in the long time and a diverse meta existing.

If you ask the question if CoH2 should be changed into something like this? No, as it's impossible to achieve. All it would do is decrease the variety in the game, which would make it less appealing to me.

really? you never played vCoH with 3 commanders each?
20 Sep 2014, 14:55 PM

If It was vCoh we were talking about i would say yes.

US vs Wehr had the flow and the options to be very fun and diverse, while in Coh2
the vanilla matchup does not have that kind of "flow" - at least for me that is.

The Armies in vCoh are similiar yet diverse enough so things can be countered with several different things. Inverse once made a really good point about that on his stream. He said when US gets BAR the Wehr player has many ways to react. extended t1 - T2 vet grens - fast t3 etc.

The armies in Coh2 are super different - that makes for a diverse playing experience , but limits counters to only a few things. That again makes the meta stale and the balance hard to achieve.
20 Sep 2014, 15:15 PM

No, I would get bored pretty quickly.
20 Sep 2014, 15:33 PM

Yes, if the commanders were redone the right way.

Spend CPs to unlock abilities, branching doctrines, etc.

Honestly, if CPs had to be spent, and all three commanders in a player's loadout were available ingame, then I feel like both the commander issue and faction design would be on a better footing for balance.

Right now the commander system is designed to be far too rigid and constraining that it almost by default guarantees imbalanced gameplay.
20 Sep 2014, 16:21 PM

Personally i would love to have some balance within the commanders Its dumb to see 20 commanders but only 5-6 that are remotely viable.

Presently Guards Motor coordination is the best commander in game IMO not because its OP but because simply put all the abilities are either extremely useful or game changing. With almost no other doctrine can i confidently say will use all these abilities to impact the game.

Compare that to something Like NKVD which overlaps with many other doctrines in the first place and has some poor abilities, some ok ones, some that are in fact useful, but most i may not even use in the game.

The germans are even worse off than the soviets often not needing or using their commanders to win. One of the best parts of DOW2 and Coh was the commander system and i really feel it has regressed with poor commander design in COH 2
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★