Login

russian armor

Relic: is it possible to let players rejoin a dropped game?

13 Sep 2014, 02:24 AM

I've got crappy AT&T since they're the only provider in my area, and every so often the internet drops on me

Players leaving games really sucks, and it happens often. I know popular MOBA games allow you to rejoin when dropped, but is it at all possible to do this in coh2?
13 Sep 2014, 03:18 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Ostensibly this is what happens whenever the game freezes for a moment and zooms forward - someone lost a connection to the battle server and rejoined - but either it's too much work to put in a system + UI that lets people reconnect after longer disconnects, or that explanation that someone from Relic gave at some point was incorrect.
13 Sep 2014, 15:18 PM

Well, DOTA2 has proven that such a mechanic is possible.

However, DOTA2 also lacks the surrender option. And honestly, I have wanted to surrender more times in DOTA2 just to start a new game more than I've ever wanted to rejoin a match of CoH2 I was dropped from for whatever reason.

Not to mention rejoining a game of CoH2 would be pretty wonky trying to pick up the pieces of what the AI had decided to do. I could only see this being worthwhile if CoH2 was possible to pause.

That said, it'd be a great feature, but I get the feeling that getting players to play the game in the first place is the priority.
13 Sep 2014, 20:52 PM

yeh coh2 isnt really a game you can lose out on for a couple minutes than pop in and pick up the slack.
i wouldnt be too upset to see it, but I dont think itd help your chances of converting a loss in to a win.
13 Sep 2014, 22:28 PM

i personally think this would be great for custom games, but not for rankeds.

in 1v1s, it's completely nonsensical anyway, in team games it doesn't really matter too i guess. rejoining a game in progress in coh2s current state would not be easy to implement either way.

in customs on the other hand, especially 1v1s in tournament conditions, you could actually implement a sc2-like "resume from replay". but even then, you'd first have to have the option to view replays with friends (but, tbh, this should not be something too major, especially once observer mode is implemented). that would be a major step forward for tournaments.
14 Sep 2014, 10:29 AM

Of course it's possible. It's exceptionally unlikely, though. I've probably lost 5+ team games because either myself or my partner disconnected, and the grace period during which you can reconnect is nowhere near long enough for a modem to power cycle.
14 Sep 2014, 10:34 AM

They should rather let the remaining player control all units and ressources for the player who dropped just like in SC2. The AI in Pacman 1983 is more sofisticated than the COH 2 AI. This would require very little coding for the dev team to implement compared to the alternatives.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★