Login

russian armor

Panther Buff

10 Sep 2014, 19:49 PM

OKW Panther accuracy from 0.025/0.0375/0.05 to 0.035/0.045/0.06
Wehrmacht Panther accuracy from 0.025/0.0375/0.05 to 0.03/0.045/0.06

Looking at the new patch notes the panther got much needed improvement to its performance. In fact, I think they can consider also reducing its reload a little or reducing its moving accuracy penalty.

Frontal armor from 290 to 320

However, this is where the buff goes completely wrong. Increasing Panther armor from 290 to 320 makes absolutely no sense. This is a fast tank that is supposed to flank heavy tanks and penetrate their armor. Why is it given the front armor value of a heavy tank?

Just to put things in perspective the Tiger has 300 front armor, which kind of makes sens since its a heavy and slow tank. Therefore, the heavy armor is offset by low speed and maneuverability. Giving the panther the best of both is wrong.

I think the panther's front armor should be reduced and instead its cost/teching cost should be revised to make it more feasible to obtain in 1v1 games.

10 Sep 2014, 19:54 PM

Believe me dude, Panther is still not viable....
10 Sep 2014, 19:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2014, 19:49 PMAbdul

However, this is where the buff goes completely wrong. Increasing Panther armor from 290 to 320 makes absolutely no sense. This is a fast tank that is supposed to flank heavy tanks and penetrate their armor. Why is it given the front armor value of a heavy tank?
Historically the Panther had more effective front armor than a Tiger. I actually love the change. It´s nice to see 85mm bounce more often. Also this is perfect to reward good gameplay with the Panther, which is keeping it at range and preventing a flank. It also punishes Soviet players who think they can just rush into it.

The Panther should no way be a nascar which you can drive in, but on the other side it should be exceptionally hard to take down in a frontal fight. If you can´t manage to flank the Panther, you should lose with T-34/85s etc.

The frontal armor change improves realism and gameplay.
10 Sep 2014, 19:57 PM

check

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2014, 19:49 PMAbdul

I think the panther's front armor should be reduced and instead its cost/teching cost should be revised to make it more feasible to obtain in 1v1 games.

10 Sep 2014, 20:03 PM

Panther had the relative same thickness as the Tiger because it's armour was sloped where as the Tigers was not, or at least, not to the degree the Panthers was.

The Panther is no longer a fast flanker tank like it used to be back in early CoH2 before it got nerfed hard, it is now a long range slugging tank with good frontal armour.

I do notice however Panthers bounce Jackson's seemingly very easy at most ranges except close.

Yet do struggle to bounce SU85's at long ranges, yet they used to have a decent chance to before the buff, me thinks SU85 got a stealth penetration buff, or I've just had terrible RNG.
10 Sep 2014, 20:11 PM

id be in favor of lowering the armor back down in favor of increasing moving accuracy and reload speed some.

I've only gone up against them in two games so far since the patch. They are solid as a rock. I'm still figuring out what I'm supposed to use against them. I feel like the only way to handle them is a good hidden AT gun, a button, and a surprise backup from an SU85.
10 Sep 2014, 20:16 PM

Btw. does the accuracy modifier that got changed also affect the MGs or just the main gun? I noticed it killing infantry quite good now, but I´m not sure whether that´s a placebo-effect on me not knowing whether it also affects those MGs.
10 Sep 2014, 20:21 PM

It feels like all tank MG's, or at least top MG's got a buff, as my Panthers have been ripping infantry apart, also anyone else notice MG42's have a new sound? Set up and tank variants.

My Vet 5 Panther I had earlier disagrees with you, it ate Jacksons like no ones business and won 1:1 vs su85's (I've had them go 2:1 before too but that requires the help of RNGesus
10 Sep 2014, 20:58 PM

It feels like all tank MG's, or at least top MG's got a buff, as my Panthers have been ripping infantry apart, also anyone else notice MG42's have a new sound? Set up and tank variants.

My Vet 5 Panther I had earlier disagrees with you, it ate Jacksons like no ones business and won 1:1 vs su85's (I've had them go 2:1 before too but that requires the help of RNGesus

We're talking Ost Panthers. At least I was. There has been a tangible improvement to the unit, but in the context of the Ost tech structure, going for Panthers outside of a situation of total superiority is still folly. Against Jacksons/Su 85s the Panther is individually stronger than a Tiger if only due to its greater mobility and range, however against anything else it is way inferior while costing more.... (tech ofc included here)
10 Sep 2014, 21:11 PM

We're talking Ost Panthers. At least I was. There has been a tangible improvement to the unit, but in the context of the Ost tech structure, going for Panthers outside of a situation of total superiority is still folly. Against Jacksons/Su 85s the Panther is individually stronger than a Tiger if only due to its greater mobility and range, however against anything else it is way inferior while costing more.... (tech ofc included here)

Ah, I think Ost Panther is only "bad" because of the teching costs to reach it, the tech system/call in system NEED's a rework and not just for Ost but for Soviet too, could also add tech requirements for US/Okw as well.
11 Sep 2014, 03:44 AM

I am not sure if its mg has been improved.

As others have also pointed out its teck cost is the main problem for Ost. If this problem is solved it should have a lower armor value, lower than 290 in fact. Otherwise we will end up having something similar to the old SU85 where it was fast, long range, high penetration, and high armor. Everyone complained about it back then, but you don't see people complaining about thew panther yet because its teching cost makes it less common than the SU85 was.
11 Sep 2014, 08:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2014, 03:44 AMAbdul
I am not sure if its mg has been improved.

As others have also pointed out its teck cost is the main problem for Ost. If this problem is solved it should have a lower armor value, lower than 290 in fact. Otherwise we will end up having something similar to the old SU85 where it was fast, long range, high penetration, and high armor. Everyone complained about it back then, but you don't see people complaining about thew panther yet because its teching cost makes it less common than the SU85 was.
The main issue with the SU-85 was that it could spot for itself. The Panther can´t use its range to that extend. It should be this hard to penetrate frontally or it would remain a glorified Panzer IV. The same way you don´t attack a SU-85 with a Panzer IV frontally, you shouldn´t attack a Panther frontally and expect to win.
11 Sep 2014, 17:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2014, 08:24 AMButcher
The main issue with the SU-85 was that it could spot for itself. The Panther can´t use its range to that extend. It should be this hard to penetrate frontally or it would remain a glorified Panzer IV. The same way you don´t attack a SU-85 with a Panzer IV frontally, you shouldn´t attack a Panther frontally and expect to win.

That was one issue, the other one was armor. Before the last nerf (Apr 24) the SU85 had a front armor value of 180 (p4 had very hard time penetrating). Since then it was reduced to the current 140.

High armor values should not be so prevalent in the game. They make game play stale when your AT guns' and tank destroyers' shots constantly bounce. And in the Panther's case it's even worse because the tank has good speed and high armor. That tank needs its cost/teching reduced not its armor increased.
11 Sep 2014, 17:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2014, 17:25 PMAbdul

That was one issue, the other one was armor. Before the last nerf (Apr 24) the SU85 had a front armor value of 180 (p4 had very hard time penetrating). Since then it was reduced to the current 140.

High armor values should not be so prevalent in the game. They make game play stale when your AT guns' and tank destroyers' shots constantly bounce. And in the Panther's case it's even worse because the tank has good speed and high armor. That tank needs its cost/teching reduced not its armor increased.

I completely agree with you on this point Abdul. Making these units more accessible will increase gameplay variety and avoid this issue where costly units become very hard to take down or as I like to call it the ''heavy vehicle effect''. Rather than increasing armour (to the point where dedicated AT really struggles) the price should have been reduced.
11 Sep 2014, 18:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2014, 17:25 PMAbdul

I think teching and DPs should have went up. Not armor. Because at Vet 2.....

Edit: Teching cost went down.
11 Sep 2014, 18:11 PM

I completely agree with you on this point Abdul. Making these units more accessible will increase gameplay variety and avoid this issue where costly units become very hard to take down or as I like to call it the ''heavy vehicle effect''. Rather than increasing armour (to the point where dedicated AT really struggles) the price should have been reduced.

Yes I would like to be able to build this tank in 1v1 without having to lose the teching race like it is now for Ost. Afterall, this tank provides a very unique role, the ability to penetrate heavy tanks, which the t3 can't do.

I think teching and DPs should have went up. Not armor. Because at Vet 2.....

Edit: Teching cost went down.

You bring a very good point. vet0 armor is 310, vet2 armor 416!!!
11 Sep 2014, 18:14 PM

The panther is very very viable now , it was even decent before the buff if used correctly . now it can actually mess very hard with other medium tanks in a way that it kites very well and can go in for the finishing move aswell .

Keep in mind the panther outranges all medium tanks that are no TDs and also can take them head on
11 Sep 2014, 18:40 PM

vet0 armor 320, vet2 352 + 160 health
11 Sep 2014, 18:50 PM

vet0 armor 320, vet2 352 + 160 health

The figure you list is the vet 2 bounce for the OKW panther. The one I listed above is the vet 2 bounce for OST panther which gets a 30% increase in armor (320x1.3=416).
11 Sep 2014, 19:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2014, 18:50 PMAbdul

The figure you list is the vet 2 bounce for the OKW panther. The one I listed above is the vet 2 bounce for OST panther which gets a 30% increase in armor (320x1.3=416).

since the update april 24th.not the same vet 2 for panther ,onli 10 % armor buff and 160 more health
http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/company-of-heroes-2-general-discussion/67-coh-2-changelog/page3
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 83
United States 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment