Login

russian armor

Mortar balance?

• This thread is locked
14 Apr 2013, 15:49 PM

Hi all.. I'm a new user, as you might have noticed. Am I blind or does this forum not feature a search function? Also.. I noticed the subtext for this forum is, "Mortars OP! Etc." Lol, so obviously there's been some debate already, but I can't find it :(.

Okay, well, now that you understand that I tried to search for related topics, I'm curious what the community thinks about mortars. So far I haven't played against humans at all since I'm more interested in simply learning the game/armies, but I've noticed that the AI stacks mortars like crazy, especially on the German side.

Does anyone else feel that there's a lack of balance here? The German mortar has a far better range than the Russian's, and the Russian army has very little to counter them with. Aside from flanking, which can be risky, and taking a mortar for myself, I'm lost as to how to counter this.

Thanks!
14 Apr 2013, 16:45 PM
Senior Caster Badge

If you add "site:http://www.coh2.org/forum"; after something on Google, then Google will search for that thing on these forums. The "mortars OP" subtext comes mostly from the beta forum and from playing the game, not from discussion on this forum.

I don't really give a shit what the AI does but against human players mortars are still kind of silly - explosives in general are weird in that if you get lucky they are pretty stupendous but if you don't they don't really do anything.

As for balance I think it's too early in the beta to say anything and certainly playing against the AI will never tell you if the game is balanced.
14 Apr 2013, 16:46 PM
Coder Red Badge

They're not too bad anymore. Could be better, but not really anything to worry about. Soviets have to flank, plain and simple. If you're not doing that, you're not going to have much success regardless.
14 Apr 2013, 21:58 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Mortars were toned down, along with all AOE damage, in the balance patch that hit the beta at the beginning of last week. TBH I don't see mortars being very effective against good players. They were one-hit squadkillers at the beginning of the alpha and beta, hence the cheeky "Mortars OP" subtext.
15 Apr 2013, 08:26 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

I feel they are okay now, they are the situational unit that you would see more in team games than 1vs1
15 Apr 2013, 09:41 AM

I feel they are okay now, they are the situational unit that you would see more in team games than 1vs1

I have seen them in every 1v1 I have played(unless the opponent is a noob who barely gets out of his base).
15 Apr 2013, 10:33 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Were they actually effective at all? I mean, as Russians you always move/flank with your infantry. I see them viable if the Russian goes T2 for ATs, but during the 1vs1 tourney no1 ever went T2 but always T1 for elitè infantry ^^
15 Apr 2013, 19:18 PM
Honorary Member Badge

at first i thought the same thing however now im thinking they aren't so OP.
16 Apr 2013, 05:11 AM

I've played some games now against human opponents (3 games) and I was surprised that only 1 opponent built mortars, especially since all 3 opponents were German, and therefore had a range advantage.

Personally I think they are much more effective than the first CoH, and aside from bombing enemy support units, they can also deny captures to the enemy, pick off weak vehicles, and smoke capture points for your infantry.

Without being able to build bunkers as Russian, I think mortars/artillery provide for a defensive style; if your conscripts and MGs can tie up the enemy units, the mortars can quickly turn a skirmish to your favor. And with blizzards now, dropping mortars/artillery can really hurt an opponent if you know where he's huddling around a fire.

I say that they are good and worth using, but I now agree that mortars are not a strategy in themselves.

16 Apr 2013, 05:34 AM

Smoke, and sector harassment would be their current ideal role, IMHO.

It won't be a gamechanger, but a mortar covering an icy section will make the opponent hesitate, and having constant barrages do weaken the enemy, somewhat.As it has been said, I think their role in 2v2 is more solid.

Smoke in CoH2, however, can be great. Hell you could even pull off feints...

Edit: Grammar
16 Apr 2013, 07:04 AM

Hi folks, I am new here. Got the game this weekend. Before I had it I heard everywhere how OP mortars are.

Now that I have it I can't see why Yes if mortars hit they are dangerous early on But if you stay moving and go for the mortars they are essentially a free kill.
So if right at the start of the game at first contact

2 conscripts
versus
1 grenadier 1 mortar

fight over some fuel point or so the conscripts win if you actually do sth. with them and not just leave them standing still. If he had 2 grenadiers instead result can be different.
So mortars are essentially a free kill if not very well defended. And later you can drive cheap scout cars or other light vehicles next to them.
16 Apr 2013, 14:25 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Mortars got super duper nerfed so you're not really talking about the mortars everyone is referencing.
16 Apr 2013, 17:57 PM

Mortars got super duper nerfed so you're not really talking about the mortars everyone is referencing.

I know that they got nerfed but this thread is from two days ago with last post complaining from monday evening.

So I assume they are talking about the current state which I am playing too since saturday.
17 Apr 2013, 00:57 AM
Honorary Member Badge

they got buffed again stupid things keep 1 shooting full hp units wtf...
28 Apr 2016, 18:39 PM

I think mortars are mostly fine, except USF actually needs one, too. I seriously hope it will make it past preview mod this time!
28 Apr 2016, 19:00 PM

Isn't this literally the first thread in COH2 Balance? I mean, that's some hardcore thread necromancy.
28 Apr 2016, 19:02 PM

Isn't this literally the first thread in COH2 Balance? I mean, that's some hardcore thread necromancy.

That's the joke. Donniechan is a troll Kappa
28 Apr 2016, 19:04 PM

Well, if its a necro, but the issue is still present I think its valid.
28 Apr 2016, 19:05 PM

Word, after messing with the USF Mortar in Miragefla's mod you kind of realize how much you miss having one. Trying to deal with turtley- opponents as USF now is borderline maddening at times.

Overall they are mostly fine once you get used to their mechanics (E.g. You realize they are pretty accurate at short range). If you get used to not staying static behind cover for long times or not standing still while capping while in Mortar range you greatly limit their effectiveness.
28 Apr 2016, 19:14 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

If you think there's an issue, open up a new thread.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★