Login

russian armor

Bugs & Sugesstions

4 Sep 2014, 21:27 PM

Hello everyone,

I am Chris and some of you might know me by my screen name Stahlhagel or even better, some might know my maps like Angermuende, Löwenberger Land and Eberswalde. I am a passionated mapper and COH player. I really love and enjoy COH and hope that my involvement in the COH community will help spread the love for this game.

Over the last months I have been playing with lots of experienced players and we have compliled a list of bugs/issues we think need to be addressed by Relic. I am hoping for a constructive discussion here on COH2.ORG and am looking forward hearing your thoughts about the list. For those of you who have a more direct line of communication to Relic, please make them aware of this topic. Otherwise I hope Noun is roaming this forum and reads this post.

1. Retreat:
Units stop retreating, standing idle or move only slowly during retreat.
Initiating the retreat is lagging. There is a delay between pressing the retreat button and the units executing it.

Please, adjust so units retreat as soon as retreat is initiated. Units should not stop, walk slowly during retreat.

2. Cover System:
Units in cover are indicated GREEN. But the actual unit location and the green indicators do not match. Units seem to randomly allign in cover.

Units should allign with the green indicators. Units should not move during a fire fight and stay put.

3. Abilities:
Some abilities e.g. Target Weakpoint or Granates use the required resources (e.g. Ammunition), but the units never execute the "purchased" ability.

Change game mechanism so that resources are just only spent, when ability was executed.

4. Granates:
In some instances the units take ages to executed the "Granate throwing animation/rifle granate shooting".

Units should execute instantly or with minimal delay.

5. Units in non playable area:
Units arriving to the battlefield get stuck in the non playable area of the map and never arrive on the field.

Adjust so units do not get stuck.

6. Lobby/Load-Out:
If you are configurating/adjusting your load-out just before a game starts, Commander/Fraction setup is messed up. In some instances your Commanders are not matching your fraction or no Commanders are available during the game.

Please, adjust so that the last changes made before a game starts are recognized/saved.

7. Graphical Glitches:
Some tanks and Infantry units seem to merge when the cross paths. There is seems to be no limit on how close units can be to each other. Units that are clustered/merged this close together can be easier killed.

We would like to see a required minimal distance each unit needs to keep from another unit, so it can not merge/disappear. Once units have reached this required minimal distance, they would "bounce" each other off.

8. Building (with units inside) Bug:
If a member of a SELECTED unit in a building dies, one has to re-select (click it).

It should work so that a selected unit stays selected, regardless of a decreasing unit size.

9. State of Pathfinding:
Please, re-visit or further optimize the pathfinding of the unites. There still many situations where units get stuck or crash into each other.
Units should recognize possible obstructions early on and adjust the path accordingly. They should not first run into an obstruction and then figure out a path out of the mess. As the computer can see all paths/obstructions it should figure those into the path calculation before it hits an obstruction.
We also think that units should auto-vault accross fences and walls if they are on their path.

10. Soviet Pak Camouflage:
Once the pak is in camo, gun crews are moving in slow motion.

This should change.

11. Aiming:
In situations where targeted units disappear in the fog of war or inside of a smoke cloud, the attacking unit e.g. Puma rotates the gun/barrel back to the default position, instead of just aming into the last direction (and not shooting).

We think that the attacking unit should still aim towards the last position of the attacked enemy unit and NOT randomly pick another target. This will add to the tactical feel of the game and gives the player a better control of their units.

12. Bunker Bug:
While WM Bunker is being constructed/finished you can re-enforce your units.

This should not be possible.

13. Soviet Unit Merge:
After you merged a MG with Recruits, both merging units are selected/activated.

This should be changed so that only one unit is selected

14. Selection button for Groups:
COH1 offered a button that allowed multiple selected units to be selectes as a group again.

Please, re-introduce the button to COH2.

15. General Call-in Implementation:
Call-ins should be be linked to a Tech Level. E.g. you should only be able to call in Tiger or a pair of T34/85s if you have build the corresponding Tech Building. Also, call-ins should not be instant, but rather be buildable in the corresponding Tech Building. Since they are build, the cool down time for call-ins can be eliminated.

This change would make the game more tactical and "teching up" will make more sense than it is currently the case.

16. MG Bug:
The MG does not aim in the direction it was ordered to aim.

Please, fix.

17. Fog of War:
Even with FoW you can determine which buildings your enemy is building based on the shapes and shilouettes that are visible.

Please, adjust so this is not possible.

18. Mines:
In general we feel mines are too expensive and their cost/benefit ratio is not optimized for the WM player. We asked to review mines accross all fractions and adjust prices to 30 ammunition. Alternatively, you could adjust the prices of mines for the soviet fraction to 60 ammunition. The WM/OKW player has a much higher ammunition costs of the course of the game. This would arm the WM player to fight off early light tanks.

Also, please remove the warning signs for the German S-Minen fields.

19. MG Behavior:
MGs should instantly pin several units simulanteously in ist firing arch. The purpose of a MG is to lock down the flanks or small areas. In too many cases, the MG can not pin down the attacking units in time. This allows the attacking units to get into throwing distance for granades/Molotov cocktails and the MG has to retreat. The units has become useless.

Changing the behavior would allow to counter blobbing easier.
Also, pinned units should NOT be able to crawl towoards the MG.

20. MG42 Sound File.
It seems the sound file for the MG is incorrect. The MG 42 has a cadence of 1200-1500 shot/min and you can not hear single shots. Just a buzzing sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-iqTpY_EGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpPcpoxWs1k

21. Rifleman:
When this US unit is "blobbed" they are very hard to counter/if at all.

Please, adjust/lower HP and damage output.

22. Capture System:
When a unit, that is tasked to capture a sector, is attacked, it often leaves the capture sector. The capture order should overide any self defense behavior which would make the unit leave the capture sector/zone.

23. Cover System:
Further optimise unit behavior. A unit that is placed in cover should not start walking around and re-positioning itself (and leaving the assigned cover). The player should be able to pinpoint the cover position/location of ITS units.

24. Set bounderies for the RNG Gods:
For tanks and AT guns the RNG events for penetration should be dependent on prior results of the current attack. If e.g. a Sherman has missed to hit or failed penetrate the first 3 shoots (at the same target), chances should increase for the consecutive shoots. From what I understand, the current chance of hitting a target is totally independent from the prior shot.

25. Infrantry Bug:
In some instances one member of a units walks in one directions and the rest of the units does not (and get's stuck). Infantry units should move as a unit.

After all, this is not Kindergarten.

26. "Micro Freezes:"
Every now and then, the game freezes for like 10 seconds and then fast forwards the last 10 seconds. This is extremely annoying and can have major influcence on the outcome of a game, as you have no control of your units or can not react to any moves of your opponent.

27. Lobby - Search for Games/Game Start:
Screen gets stuck with notification "Please Wait"and game does not start. After some players have dropped game eventually starts.

28. Chat Bug:
In some instances, the whole chat history is visible throughout the length of the game. Chat entries should disappear after a while.

29. Half Track Flamer Upgrade:
In the current mid-game, this unit/add-on is not useful anymore and hardly used on the battlefield.

We suggest to migrated the upgrade to Tech 2, so the unit gets useful again. The Upgradecosts 120Ammo!

30. OKW Flak Half Track:
In it's current state, the units is to expensive, has very low armor and is not very agile. Only few users are currently building the half track.

We suggest to allow the halftrack to fire while moving or add more HP. Change pricing to 250MP/25 Fuel.

31. Scrolling:
Sometimes screen scrolling gets stuck and you can not scroll towards the lower right corner.

Please, investigage and fix.

32. Scavenger Doctrine:
The Call in for the Ostwind at 8CP comes to late.

Please, consider reducing it to 6CP

33. Re-crewing of dropped support weapons:
When selecting a dropped weapon (e.g. MG ) the game interface indicates the numbers of soldiers needed in order to re-crew. The game indicates that 2 soldiers are needed, but the unit from which you re-crew the support weapon looses 3 soldiers.

Please, fix.

34. Salvage Ability:
If you one unit tries to salvage an abandoned unit and another unit tries to re-crew the same unit (e.g. tank), the game crashes with a bug splash screen.

Please, fix.
4 Sep 2014, 21:39 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I like this list a lot, but I'd have liked it even more if didn't include balance suggestions. This is the wrong place for those.
4 Sep 2014, 21:42 PM

Thank you for creating this list and taking your time to post here on COH2.org
I hope Relic will read this and investigate those bugs.

...and thanks for your maps :-)
4 Sep 2014, 21:46 PM

So buff axis? Anyways, units can be pinned by strafe on retreat, but since they are in retreat, they cannot escape. Also, (part of tank pathing) tanks literally bounce back after meeting puny obstacles in their path. Makes running away from chasing units stupid when the driver pulls the emergency brake when driving full speed and the tank flies back dozens of meters.
4 Sep 2014, 22:07 PM

So buff axis? Anyways, units can be pinned by strafe on retreat, but since they are in retreat, they cannot escape. Also, (part of tank pathing) tanks literally bounce back after meeting puny obstacles in their path. Makes running away from chasing units stupid when the driver pulls the emergency brake when driving full speed and the tank flies back dozens of meters.

I confirm, more bugs :thumb:
4 Sep 2014, 22:19 PM

The list is a good start...maybe Relic has the time and read it....and maybe they not just gonna say 'we are on it' like always. Most of that bugs should be patched at beta....
4 Sep 2014, 23:08 PM

@STAHLHAGEL, you forgot to add ghost wire.

It's another annoying bug given to abuse that should be fixed.
4 Sep 2014, 23:55 PM
Honorary Member Badge

17. Fog of War:
Even with FoW you can determine which buildings your enemy is building based on the shapes and shilouettes that are visible.

ahhh... but i love that "feature". :snfPeter:/:snfCHVGame:/:snfBarton: (feel free to pick your favorite)
5 Sep 2014, 00:10 AM

Listing some of the bugs is nice, but i would rather like them to be seperated from your balance suggestions - which i don't like. (Ostwind at 6CP, OKW Flak Halftrack firing on the move and 250MP/25 Fuel is rather... extreme)
5 Sep 2014, 11:30 AM

Yeah, like others have already said you should seperate balance suggestions and the list itself. There might be some buggs mising in this list but it's hard to find all of them ,it doesn't really matter anyway because the major buggs are adressed here. These here should have been hotfixed ages ago. But still, it's good that someone is trying to list all or the most important buggs in the game.
5 Sep 2014, 11:57 AM

Hello everyone,

I am Chris and some of you might know me by my screen name Stahlhagel or even better, some might know my maps like Angermuende, Löwenberger Land and Eberswalde. I am a passionate mapper and COH player. I really love and enjoy COH and hope that my involvement in the COH community will help spread the love for this game.

Over the last months I have been playing with lots of experienced players and we have compiled a list of bugs/issues we think need to be addressed by Relic. I am hoping for a constructive discussion here on COH2.ORG and am looking forward hearing your thoughts about the list. For those of you who have a more direct line of communication to Relic, please make them aware of this topic. Otherwise I hope Noun is roaming this forum and reads this post.

Fixed some spelling mistakes, tried to separate bugs, design/gameplay and balance issues. Additionally removed some (unnecessary) pictures. People know what retreat looks like - it's nice that you made the effort, but pictures are only needed to help the understanding, otherwise cause clutter. The following is changed in order, but contains all the same entries:

Edit - Err, and I'll ofc forward this to Relic. If you want to discuss this list (in German if you want), you can just message me in steam.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bugs

Garrison Selection Bug:
If a member of a SELECTED unit in a building dies, one has to re-select (click it).

It should work so that a selected unit stays selected, regardless of a decreasing unit size.

Units in non playable area:
Units arriving to the battlefield get stuck in the non playable area of the map and never arrive on the field.

Adjust so units do not get stuck.

Grenades:
In some instances the units take ages to executed the "Grenade throwing animation/rifle grenade shooting".

Units should execute instantly or with minimal delay.

Graphical Glitches:
Some tanks and Infantry units seem to merge when the cross paths. There is seems to be no limit on how close units can be to each other. Units that are clustered/merged this close together can be easier killed.

We would like to see a required minimal distance each unit needs to keep from another unit, so it can not merge/disappear. Once units have reached this required minimal distance, they would "bounce" each other off.

Lobby/Load-Out:
If you are configuring/adjusting your load-out just before a game starts, Commander/Fraction setup is messed up. In some instances your Commanders are not matching your fraction or no Commanders are available during the game.

Please, adjust so that the last changes made before a game starts are recognized/saved.

Retreat:
Units stop retreating, standing idle or move only slowly during retreat.
Initiating the retreat is lagging. There is a delay between pressing the retreat button and the units executing it.

Please, adjust so units retreat as soon as retreat is initiated. Units should not stop, walk slowly during retreat.

Cover System:
Units in cover are indicated GREEN. But the actual unit location and the green indicators do not match. Units seem to randomly aligned in cover.

Units should align with the green indicators. Units should not move during a fire fight and stay put.

Infantry Bug:
In some instances one member of a units walks in one directions and the rest of the units does not (and get's stuck). Infantry units should move as a unit.

After all, this is not Kindergarten.

"Micro Freezes:"
Every now and then, the game freezes for like 10 seconds and then fast forwards the last 10 seconds. This is extremely annoying and can have major influence on the outcome of a game, as you have no control of your units or can not react to any moves of your opponent.

Lobby - Search for Games/Game Start:
Screen gets stuck with notification "Please Wait"and game does not start. After some players have dropped game eventually starts.

Chat Bug:
In some instances, the whole chat history is visible throughout the length of the game. Chat entries should disappear after a while.

Scrolling:
Sometimes screen scrolling gets stuck and you can not scroll towards the lower right corner.

Please, investigate and fix.

Re-crewing of dropped support weapons:
When selecting a dropped weapon (e.g. MG ) the game interface indicates the numbers of soldiers needed in order to re-crew. The game indicates that 2 soldiers are needed, but the unit from which you re-crew the support weapon loses 3 soldiers.

Please, fix.

Salvage Ability:
If you one unit tries to salvage an abandoned unit and another unit tries to re-crew the same unit (e.g. tank), the game crashes with a bug splash screen.

Please, fix.

Bunker Bug:
While WM Bunker is being constructed/finished you can re-enforce your units.

This should not be possible.

MG Bug:
The MG does not aim in the direction it was ordered to aim.

Please, fix.

Fog of War:

MG42 Sound File.
It seems the sound file for the MG is incorrect. The MG 42 has a cadence of 1200-1500 shot/min and you can not hear single shots. Just a buzzing sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-iqTpY_EGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpPcpoxWs1k

Design/Gameplay Issues

Set boundaries for the RNG Gods:
For tanks and AT guns the RNG events for penetration should be dependent on prior results of the current attack. If e.g. a Sherman has missed to hit or failed penetrate the first 3 shoots (at the same target), chances should increase for the consecutive shoots. From what I understand, the current chance of hitting a target is totally independent from the prior shot.

Capture System:
When a unit, that is tasked to capture a sector, is attacked, it often leaves the capture sector. The capture order should overwrite any self defence behaviour which would make the unit leave the capture sector/zone.

General Call-in Implementation:
Call-ins should be be linked to a Tech Level. E.g. you should only be able to call in Tiger or a pair of T34/85s if you have build the corresponding Tech Building. Also, call-ins should not be instant, but rather be buildable in the corresponding Tech Building. Since they are build, the cool down time for call-ins can be eliminated.

This change would make the game more tactical and "teching up" will make more sense than it is currently the case.

Cover System:
Further optimise unit behaviour. A unit that is placed in cover should not start walking around and re-positioning itself (and leaving the assigned cover). The player should be able to pinpoint the cover position/location of ITS units.

State of Pathfinding:
Please, re-visit or further optimize the pathfinding of the unites. There still many situations where units get stuck or crash into each other.
Units should recognize possible obstructions early on and adjust the path accordingly. They should not first run into an obstruction and then figure out a path out of the mess. As the computer can see all paths/obstructions it should figure those into the path calculation before it hits an obstruction.
We also think that units should auto-vault across fences and walls if they are on their path.

Aiming:
In situations where targeted units disappear in the fog of war or inside of a smoke cloud, the attacking unit e.g. Puma rotates the gun/barrel back to the default position, instead of just aiming into the last direction (and not shooting).

We think that the attacking unit should still aim towards the last position of the attacked enemy unit and NOT randomly pick another target. This will add to the tactical feel of the game and gives the player a better control of their units.

Soviet Unit Merge:
After you merged a MG with Conscripts, both merging units are selected/activated.

This should be changed so that only one unit is selected

Selection button for Groups:
COH1 offered a button that allowed multiple selected units to be selected as a group again.

Please, re-introduce the button to COH2.

Balance issues:

Scavenger Doctrine:
The Call in for the Ostwind at 8CP comes to late.

Please, consider reducing it to 6CP

Half Track Flamer Upgrade:
In the current mid-game, this unit/add-on is not useful anymore and hardly used on the battlefield.

We suggest to migrated the upgrade to Tech 2, so the unit gets useful again. The Upgrade costs 120 ammo!

OKW Flak Half Track:
In it's current state, the units is to expensive, has very low armor and is not very agile. Only few users are currently building the half track.

We suggest to allow the halftrack to fire while moving or add more HP. Change pricing to 250MP/25 Fuel.

Soviet ATG Camouflage:
Once the ZiS-3 is in camo, gun crews are moving in slow motion.

This should change.

Rifleman:
When this US unit is "blobbed" they are very hard to counter/if at all.

Please, adjust/lower HP and damage output.

Mines:
In general we feel mines are too expensive and their cost/benefit ratio is not optimized for the WM player. We asked to review mines across all fractions and adjust prices to 30 ammunition. Alternatively, you could adjust the prices of mines for the soviet fraction to 60 ammunition. The WM/OKW player has a much higher ammunition costs of the course of the game. This would arm the WM player to fight off early light tanks.

Also, please remove the warning signs for the German S-Minen fields.

MG Behaviour:
MGs should instantly pin several units simultaneously in its firing arch. The purpose of a MG is to lock down the flanks or small areas. In too many cases, the MG can not pin down the attacking units in time. This allows the attacking units to get into throwing distance for grenades/Molotov cocktails and the MG has to retreat. The units has become useless.

Changing the behaviour would allow to counter blobbing easier.
Also, pinned units should NOT be able to crawl towards the MG.
5 Sep 2014, 12:17 PM

Now regarding actual feedback - Won't discuss the balance topics here.

Bugs:
Sadly, pretty much all of those have been reported (directly!) to Relic for months. A few of them over a year. I know that a couple are extremely hard (impossible?) to fix due to how the game mechanics work, but others aren't that hard fixes...
Micro Freezes => That's most likely on the users end. A short loss of connection. Those occur if you lose the connection to the server.
Units in non playable area => Note down where it happens on which maps. Either message Eagleheart21 or send me a message I'll forward it.

Gameplay/Design:
RNG:
No idea what they use. I talked to them (or tried to), but to no result. A great read on PRD (which is pretty much what you suggest) is for example the DotA one. This game also uses PRD to simulate random chances.
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Pseudo-random_distribution
TL;DR:
You start out with a smaller chance than the one listed (So if it says 25% the first attempt might only have 15% chance), but with each fail the chance increases. Once a success happens the chance gets reset.

Pathfinding/Capture/Call-in/Cover: All those have been a topic of a lot of discussion. I personally really dislike a lot of the unit reactions. It makes the game look more authentic, but for the player it's bad as you are not in control. Spamming "stop" to counter a game mechanic in order to be able to control your units should not be a part of a game.

Aiming: Not sure if that's better, I actually think that it's worse. Right now with two units and vision blockers you can use the turret rotation on tanks to minimize the time your opponent shoots. Just move them in at different times from different directions and move out of vision when he is turned towards you. This can be extremely annoying on the receiving end, but it requires a lot of micro / attention to perform. If the tank is locked onto the last visual position of it's "target" then this can still be done. Only now it only requires far less micro.

Group selection - Not sure what you mean with this. It's still possible to group units, using the same system as in CoH1 and pretty much any other strategy game. CTRL + Number to save it and then just the number to retrieve the group. Or do you mean there is no button on the UI or what?
5 Sep 2014, 12:18 PM

29. Half Track Flamer Upgrade:

We suggest to migrated the upgrade to Tech 2, so the unit gets useful again. The Upgradecosts 120Ammo!

Seriously this was not nerfing, this was destroying. Anyone seen t2 halftruck on field thus far?

T70 fuel as well.
5 Sep 2014, 15:43 PM
Patrion 28

a note on the bunker reinforce: it's fairly buggy. sometimes it will reinforce and sometimes it won't. i think it may work like the american ambulance and be unable to reinforce when enemy units are in its sector.
5 Sep 2014, 16:47 PM

Independently of the absurd T70's fuel cost, I think that its Repair ability was overlooked when ATnade/Faust damage got increased.

Its really expensive at 60 ammo, and it can't even repair a fausted engine. I don't think that is how developers wanted the ability to work.
5 Sep 2014, 18:01 PM

Another report: I I have had units pass through other units like they were not there. For example: two tanks collide. Instead of both getting stuck, one tank goes through the other tank and passes through to the other side
6 Sep 2014, 06:00 AM
Patrion 15

I really hope relic will fix this bugs. Especially units in cover, it's annoying that they never stay in the green cover and Jump every where outside of the cover....

Nice work at all with this list +1
6 Sep 2014, 07:59 AM

This is a really good list of problems the game has been experiencing, its kinda sad how long it is though considering that most of these problems aren't new and or have become a problem for no apparent reason ex.Mg bug only started with WFA MGs weren't even changed

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Sep 2014, 16:47 PMGreeb
Independently of the absurd T70's fuel cost, I think that its Repair ability was overlooked when ATnade/Faust damage got increased.

Its really expensive at 60 ammo, and it can't even repair a fausted engine. I don't think that is how developers wanted the ability to work.

Additionally the t70 cannot Use doctrinal vehicle repair which is also silly since it used to be able to but now the button doesn't even exist
6 Sep 2014, 08:12 AM

Fantastic work.
6 Sep 2014, 08:26 AM

OPs post is fking beautiful.

Its like reading a professional brochure for a summer vacation to "5star Bug Hotel in Cohlandia".

Trust a mapper to be this accurate and meticulous!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★