Login

russian armor

SdKfz 222 Scout Car

12 Apr 2013, 12:16 PM

I'm sad to see the current state of the 222 in the beta. It only has one use; to counter soviet M3-spam. After that, you're better off destroying it than having it take up your manpower income.

It has a MG34 that doesn't even work and a 20mm cannon firing blanks, it can't even kill a 1% health lone engineer at point blank range; he just stood there for 30 seconds before he retreated; because of the noise from the cannon I assume! :*(
I'm sure even the soviet Maxim team can take it out if it tries to flank them. :huh:
12 Apr 2013, 12:26 PM
Honorary Member Badge

I guess now we know why it only costs 80 mp :D

But yeah that thing does no significant damage. And I can use other stuff to beat the Soviet HT rush.
12 Apr 2013, 13:51 PM

without mupgrade it's only good vs infantry, upgunned good only against small vehicles like T-70 and HT, also it can shoot to aircraft
12 Apr 2013, 13:54 PM
Honorary Member Badge

in coh2 there appears to be no splash damage of any kind on any weapon. was this a design decision or have they not added it in yet. that i don't know.
12 Apr 2013, 13:58 PM

The broken gun aside. I presume it's because it's new role is more that of a scouting (Bike) unit than an impact unit (PE Scout Car). It's veterancy ability is also an indication of this.
12 Apr 2013, 14:01 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Well, it's a situational vehicle, not a must have in any game imo :)
12 Apr 2013, 15:25 PM
Benefactor 115

best katyusha and arty piece killer in the game
12 Apr 2013, 16:36 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

They're great in 2v2's but more of a situational thing in 1v1's.
12 Apr 2013, 16:52 PM

yeah Katyushas > upgun AC = dead Katyushas
12 Apr 2013, 18:03 PM

As Umbert pointed out, the fact that it has an ability that allows for spotting units on the minimap is quite an indicator that its main use is scouting. Will be hard getting used to; however I wonder how its HP changes with veterancy; since upgunning it to get a PE-style AC is always an enticing option. Still, I predict this unit will get quite a number of tweaks before launch, and beyond.
16 Apr 2013, 12:15 PM

I find it to be in my top 3 favorite units list together with the standard halftrack and the artillery officer.

Of course its damage is not the best. If it would it would be broken for an 80 manpower unit and everybody would just spam it and win. But anyway it does not matter. I killed plenty of assault guns, scout cars, mortars and paks with it. I make sure to always have one available. Usually that means I build around 2-3 and one survives the initial tasks with 3 stars.

Theres alot of possibilities for it especially while supporting other slower units:

1) Drive it next to mortars/MGs and kill them
2) with Gun: Kill light/medium tanks by always staying away from gun, this works especially well with tank destroyers without turrets as you constantly stay in back
3) In large enemy groups just drive around and through in circles while shooting. There is a high possibility it will be destroyed against a skilled player but alot of players will get distracted by it and make lots of errors with there other units while caring for the scout car. And there is also alot of cases where the enemy will be busy with your other units and does not manually target it with an AT nade or such. I see it often surving situations it should not have survived.
4) Send it ahead of a combined tank/infantry assault. This way you can see threats earlier and respond to them. Also it extends the range of your
5) When damaged I send it back to be repaired quite often because it is so fast. Usually I send it back on unexplored routes often revealing single infantry squads trying to take back strategic points or mortars that are sitting on the sides of the map.
6) The most success I have using it is combined with a halftrack and panzergrenadiers to take back Victory points. In a recent 4vs4 game yesterday our team won because of that taking the top VP while being down on 10 points and losing. I drove through the whole front line past ~5 tanks and ~5 infantry squads. This could only be managed because he was distracted by the scout car which got destroyed after some 30 seconds but the halftrack made it through successfully.

To sum up... all those uses and all that fun for as little as 80 points? You might call it OP :-)
23 Apr 2013, 01:37 AM

i think germans need a heavier light vehicle. i'm not knocking down the scout car, i think its great for what it does but i think germans are missing something right between the halftrack/sc and panzer4/stug. maybe the stug filled that position before but now with the homogenization of vehicles stats and prices there's this huge gap in tech that needs filling.
12 Jun 2013, 15:00 PM

So open beta arrived and nothing happened with this unit.

It's still only useful as a soft M3/M5 counter and worse than a bike versus infantry. No other unit in the game has as shallow a role as this.

I just had it try to protect a fuel point, but soviet engineers just walked in, capped the point, and walked away with 2 casualties while the 221 (unupgraded) was now near-dead. They were not even in cover.

Please make it more like in the alpha! :)
12 Jun 2013, 15:33 PM

In my experience it does less damage then the M3 front Mg, and that is ridiculous. You can put infantry in the M3, you cant put shit in the 222
12 Jun 2013, 16:33 PM

Yeah this unit is in severe need of a buff. It is next to useless aside from suiciding it to kill some high priority units. Anyone else notice there is no detection radius with snipers, even with the scout car? This is a serious issue as duel snipers and t34 I find can counter almost everything if Russia manages to get this unit composition.

The other isssue which I've experienced is that an M3 Scoutcar with an Guard Infantry inside can sometimes wipe out your AC if they time the rush well. This is even easier if the Soviet player commits 2 Scout Cars at the same time. Losing 80MP/20fuel is no big issue for soviets at this point since the M3 flamer/sniper combo will already give a significant advantage if executed well.

Losing it to kill an AC is no issue, because if you get the AC that is 80ammo down the drain, which means no panzershrecks (120ammo lolwtf?) for another 10mins and your pak will get sniped down.

My conclusion is scout car needs 50% health increase(cost increase to 200MP, 20fuel?), M3 gunner must be reduced damage to German light vehicles, Guard Infantry AT accuracy reduced in scout car severely and panzershrecks need to be 75ammo.
12 Jun 2013, 17:14 PM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jun 2013, 15:00 PMQvazar
So open beta arrived and nothing happened with this unit.

It's still only useful as a soft M3/M5 counter and worse than a bike versus infantry. No other unit in the game has as shallow a role as this.

I just had it try to protect a fuel point, but soviet engineers just walked in, capped the point, and walked away with 2 casualties while the 221 (unupgraded) was now near-dead. They were not even in cover.

Please make it more like in the alpha! :)

SOFT?! I've seen it one or two-shot M3's :)
12 Jun 2013, 18:00 PM

it does more damage to infantry that the M3 IF you dont upgun it.

12 Jun 2013, 18:26 PM

I just destroyed sdkfz222 upgunned against engineers 1v1, this is lame.
12 Jun 2013, 18:33 PM

all light vehicles are cheap, but only German Scout car sucks a lot
12 Jun 2013, 18:35 PM

IMO the standard MG needs a buff, and the upgun needs to be potent vs infantry too. In vCoH the Sherman is still a good infantry killer with the upgun. It should be an improvement, not a compromise for that many munitions.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★