Login

russian armor

So I played CoH2 again...

3 Sep 2014, 16:55 PM
Patrion 14

I think we can all come to a conclusion the game needs some optimization :p So you can all stop posting specs and stuff. In my opinion CoH2 isnt ready for big stuff like ESL, but I think Relic knows this to :) Lets have some faith in Relic!
3 Sep 2014, 17:58 PM

I don't see why anyone should enable an anti-aliasing better than x2 or x4.
The image quality doesn't improve enough to justify the huge FPS drop.

AA low is more than enough.
3 Sep 2014, 18:35 PM

Hey Inverse you forgot to mention that sturmpios are overpowered and the flak comes out too early

Relic do you even know how to balance I mean come on these are the real issues that plague this community. /s
4 Sep 2014, 01:34 AM

Maybe it's worth to mention.. this games eats great amounts of memory.
As stated above, on my pretty much max. settings it fills up all 3 GB of video memory of my Asus TOP280x, and then some RAM - more.

on the other hand on my old rig; Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz, HD5870 and 4 GB of RAM I can manage with some medium settings, low AA, Physics OFF, but it takes 20 seconds to start after everyone loads and you can obviously hear the HDD crunching all the textures in the page file, since 4 Gigs of ram and 1 gig of video just doesn't cut it.

p.s. lower you Physics settings or even turn them off.. I didn't manage to perceive THAT much difference in realism, and it really helps the FPS imo.

p.p.s. If I registered it correctly, mostly ppl with Nvidias are complaining, while the ATI guys claim it runs fine.. and my hunch is telling me that it might have something to do with the fact that ATI gives at least 1 GB more of video memory in the same price class..
4 Sep 2014, 02:00 AM

Thx Inverse for putting my exact feelings perfectly described in your post.

The UI makes the game a struggle against yourself. And there for I find no motivation to play this exhausting game.
In Coh1 All the information (tac map, resources, doctrine) u needed was on the left, and the actions were on the right. Now you get useless information thrown at your face constantly scattered across the whole screen. Which takes the focus off the 'battlefield'.

About the performance: at least I heard them admit their mistakes a couple of times. QD said something along the lines of: That was our biggest disappointment.

MAKE US WANT TO ENJOY YOUR GAME RELIC. (make an option for a coh1 like interface?)

Balance issues aren't even a big deal if the fundamentals aren't functioning properly.

About competitive:
I actually wonder if you would show vCoh vs COH2 to a random crowd without pre knowledge of any of the games. If they wouldn't prefer COH1 over COH2.
4 Sep 2014, 02:43 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

-Perfomance has always been an issue. Wether you can play it a low settings is a completely different issue. It's a reality that the game is not the most optimized in the market. AND its a bit late to expect them to do so. But i think this is not as a big problem as...

-...freezes have become more predominant after WFA. It's stressful having those seconds of wether you don't know what is happening on the game.

-Bugs: support weapons turning to the opposite side, units stuck on retreat or looking for cover and problems with pathfinding (also the one which makes vehicles go forward prior to reverse).

You can get bored from the meta, but when the game works against you...ARGGGHhh.

4 Sep 2014, 07:29 AM
Patrion 15

I agree, we need seriously an optimization! 5 of my friends don't play anymore this game exactly of the arguments what invers says.... I hope that relic real think about it. The priority for ESL must be performance optimization and bugs. Then we can go forward to balancing and new stuff...
7 Sep 2014, 16:43 PM

Excellent thread!

I'm with Inverse, the UI is awful, full of unnecessary visual noise to make it look rugged and war weary, the only thing it has over vCoH great UI is the top right bar with all the squad icons and the reinforce button that reinforces all selected squads instead of having to TAB them as in vCoH (that's really useful).

My main gripe with CoH 2 is the awful optimization this game has. It's the best looking RTS, I salute that, but that's no excuse for subpar performance.

I've stated this before in the official forums, Relic has to work together with Nvidia/AMD on their next drivers, and also work on getting some Crossfire/SLI Profiles.

Another thing that really causes unnecessary performance issues is the all inclusive "Image quality" setting. This does not allow the players to tweak and fine tune the game. There should be separate settings for shadows/smoke & fog/ Shader & Lighting/Effects & Particles as those are the usual suspects for terrible performance drops.

For instance one could keep nice lighting & shaders, disable smoke and shadows and the game would run better and still look good, but if we want to disable smoke and shadows, we have to put Image quality on minimum and we lose the shaders and lighting. Go figure.

I have a gaming rig that is over 2 years old:
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2600k OC to 4.2 Ghz
EVGA GTX 580 OC to 900 Mhz
16GB DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM
128 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD.

These are my settings:

The game runs like crap on my system, I struggle to keep 60 FPS with these settings on 1v1s. I play mostly 3v3s and 4v4s and my average FPS is 30 frames... On top of that, I get frequent bugsplats every 3 to 4 games out of the blue. Apparently something to do with my Nvidia drivers hanging up. Well I have the latest Nvidia drivers and every other game I own does not crash. Again it's an issue between Relic and Nvidia not working together on the drivers, so It's Relics' fault not Nvidia's.

Then comes the frequent freezes, hangups and mini stutters to nail the coffin; that I guess have to do with the battle servers having issues or overloading.

Optimization must be a priority for Relic, otherwise they are going to start to lose players.

I play CoH 2 less and less because WFA armies aggravated the performance issues and I can't be bothered to play a game that runs like crap on a rig that runs BF3, Far Cry 3 and a Heavily modded Skyrim all on ULTRA at 60 FPS. I'm also tired of making my teammates lose games because Coh2 bugsplats on me so frequently.
and
7 Sep 2014, 16:52 PM

For instance one could keep nice lighting & shaders, disable smoke and shadows and the game would run better and still look good, but if we want to disable smoke and shadows, we have to put Image quality on minimum and we lose the shaders and lighting. Go figure.

You can edit the config file and disable specific effects that way. I agree it's dumb that you can't do that in the settings, but anyway, it is possible.
7 Sep 2014, 16:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Sep 2014, 16:52 PMand

You can edit the config file and disable specific effects that way. I agree it's dumb that you can't do that in the settings, but anyway, it is possible.

Thanks for the heads up. I gonna try it! I guess it's in the my documents folder right?
and
7 Sep 2014, 17:04 PM

Yes. configuration_system.lua.

Start out by setting postprocessing, ambocclquality and reflections to 0.

If you change any graphics setting in the game afterwards these edits will get reset. I suggest perhaps write protecting the file after you've made your changes.
7 Sep 2014, 18:22 PM

Where were you guys when i was begging for a answer to noun if there was any optimisation plan in relic's last stream ?

I understand he didnt give any fuck because i was alone. That was normal but;
were there dubest of that community tried to silenced me by sayin "get a pc game is ok" I dont believe those guys see yourself a "customer" who has right to deman its product to be fine.

After that day i dont expect any improvement. We can go on playing game under 30 fps.

Bravo community of COSTUMERS
7 Sep 2014, 18:37 PM

Yep, COH2 does not perform so well.

But: Your CPU is definitely bottlenecked very much by that 6870.
7 Sep 2014, 19:19 PM
Coder Red Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Sep 2014, 18:37 PMgeist
Yep, COH2 does not perform so well.

But: Your CPU is definitely bottlenecked very much by that 6870.

Not at completely minimum settings it's not. My CPU hits 100%, which is ridiculous for a 2500k at 4.4GHz. Not to mention I can play Dota 2 maxed, CSGO maxed, vCoH maxed, Skyrim nearly maxed, Crysis at medium-high, Bioshock Infinite maxed...I can play pretty much any recent PC game maxed and get better framerates than I get playing CoH2 at 100% minimum settings. My hardware is perfectly adequate.
7 Sep 2014, 20:18 PM

Anyone have a list on how to and what to change in the config file so I can get a SLIGHTLY better performance?
and
7 Sep 2014, 21:59 PM

Anyone have a list on how to and what to change in the config file so I can get a SLIGHTLY better performance?

did you read my post?
7 Sep 2014, 23:50 PM
Patrion 14

this

only noticeable difference i see are the vehicle tracks on snow
8 Sep 2014, 02:29 AM

Thanks for writing this up Inverse, CoH2 has been horribly under-optimized ever since it was in alpha. It's frustrating for players who have even mid-range pc's when they cant play a high paced rts and 60fps and its really one of the main reasons why I dont play on CoH2 nearly as much as VCoH. tldr: "relic pls" fix optimization, this shit has been going on waaay too long.
9 Sep 2014, 05:34 AM

i5 2500k
GTX 680
8GB DDR3
Windows 8.1

I run the game on a mix of medium and high. At a stable 50-60 FPS. I haven't run fraps in a long time to check but I get no stutter or jerkiness. I've been gaming since the late 80s and I'm attuned to frame rate, and the game runs great for me.

AA, shadows and texture resolution seem to be the biggest FPS killers, as well as snow detail. I think I have AA off, shadows to medium or high, texture resolution to 100% and snow detail to medium or low.

Texture quality on "Highest" also slows FPS, but on "High" still looks good and runs well.
9 Sep 2014, 06:00 AM

I really think all the complaints about the CoH2 UI are unfair. If you compare the CoH1 and CoH2 AI CoH2 comes out ahead actually. Inverse why aren't you mentioning the lack of a health bar for tanks that are not selected in CoH1 ? Or the extremely useful unit list in the top right that relic implemented with CoH2 ? I think these aspects are way more significant than the problems that you brought up. I do agree on the tac map issue btw. Never experienced the visibility problem on snow maps so I can't comment on that one.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★