Login

russian armor

Too long to gain Veterancy with some OKW units?

13 Aug 2014, 23:09 PM

Isn't veterancy tied to unit cost and/or HP?

I believe so, therefore tanks give more Vet than infantry, but pure AI vehicles suffer due to having a Vet bar to fill that is very large like an AT vehicle, but only doing significant damage to infantry which doesn't fill the bar very fast.
13 Aug 2014, 23:12 PM

Isn't veterancy tied to unit cost and/or HP?

Only to cost.
OKW is no different here, except they got more stars and therefore need much more exp.
14 Aug 2014, 08:16 AM

The vet 5 system is implemented in the game. De facto some units never reach vet 5, even if the game takes one hour.

People only ask that something that is implemented in the game also actually appears in the game. If this causes balance issues veteran ranks still can be nerfed.

I for example never managed to get a vet 4 stuka rendering the fire bombs useless since they don't appear. Same goes for sturmtiger, luchs, Kübel, obersoldaten, etc.. Most units don't manage to get their vet 5 and that's rather disappointing if you take into account that it's one of the main okw features.

I would suggest that the requirements of the vet ranks are scaled down, like vet 3 + 40% of other factions is required for the okw vet 5.

If some abilities seem to strong then a nerf could help. I think the Luchs vet 5 ability must be really strong, yet I never encountered which is sad as its a feature that is implemented but absent.

Lower vet requirements would actually introduce new strategies in the game and some units would be worth to produce, like the Sturmtiger.
14 Aug 2014, 10:04 AM

All safe for the Sturmtiger inf ht and luchs are fine if you ask me. but this is a global issue where expensive AI units find it difficult to vet.
14 Aug 2014, 10:18 AM

Lower vet requirements would actually introduce new strategies in the game and some units would be worth to produce, like the Sturmtiger.

What?

OKW has no units that are useless because they are hard to vet up. A Sturmtiger does not need any vet to 1-shot medium tanks or whole squads without warning from outside of line of sight or through a bush. A Luchs does not need to be vet 5 in order to be worth it. It is already as fearsome as a T70 while being more survivable for a lower fuel price tag. A stuka does not need vet to obliterate enemy positions etc.
14 Aug 2014, 11:38 AM

The problem is that many units don't get a meaningful amount of experience from killing infantry. That is obviously especially a hindrance with expensive units like the Stuka which are primarily designed to fight infantry. This problem does not only exist for OKW, although with more veterancy levels it is more noticeable.

If you however engage vehicles with those units (some vehicles can still be damaged by Stuka for example, and while Sturmtiger seems to be mainly about dealing with blobs try using it against tanks, that is the way how I got one to Veterancy 5 once), you will quickly see experience climb a lot faster.

The game just rates damaging vehicles a lot higher for experience than attacking infantry. You can kill countless infantry with Brummbär and it will not gain any levels, but damage some vehicles with it and you get a lot more. Even your Volksgrenadier will probably not level very fast until you buy the Panzerschreck and attack some vehicles with it, which will boost the experience a lot.

In my opinion the only solution would be to reward units depending on their role. So an expensive vehicle like the Ostwind should get reasonable experience from killing infantry, since this is what you build the Ostwind for and not for destroying light vehicles. A Tiger on the other hand would still get more experience for attacking tanks, as this should be more challenging for a Tiger, even if it is designed to fight both.
14 Aug 2014, 12:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2014, 11:38 AMgokkel

In my opinion the only solution would be to reward units depending on their role. So an expensive vehicle like the Ostwind should get reasonable experience from killing infantry, since this is what you build the Ostwind for and not for destroying light vehicles. A Tiger on the other hand would still get more experience for attacking tanks, as this should be more challenging for a Tiger, even if it is designed to fight both.

Yes, this is what I would like to see implemented. The OKW units are extremely one dimensional and requiring AI units to vet up by doing damage to tanks is just bad design.
14 Aug 2014, 13:16 PM

Yes, this is what I would like to see implemented. The OKW units are extremely one dimensional and requiring AI units to vet up by doing damage to tanks is just bad design.

I don't know what kind of drugs you are on sir, but it seems they have a kick.
Which AI units require attacking vehicles for vet?

AI units get vet just fine by attacking infantry. More expensive AI units need more vet and that is how it works.
14 Aug 2014, 13:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2014, 13:16 PMKatitof

I don't know what kind of drugs you are on sir, but it seems they have a kick.
Which AI units require attacking vehicles for vet?

AI units get vet just fine by attacking infantry. More expensive AI units need more vet and that is how it works.

no it isnt. once i had a sturmtiger doing more then 100 + kills on langress and he still was at vet 2. only if you get a ST to perfectly nail an is 2 or 85 you make progress.
14 Aug 2014, 13:32 PM

I think cost for veterancy takes into account fuel cost, and weighs it heavily.

That is why a pak which costs no fuel but does damage to fuel units vets up really fast, whilst an anti infantry tank that costs fuel does not.

I find it weird that pios and engis don't vet up for healing vehicles, because that is what their vet bonuses give them.
14 Aug 2014, 17:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Cost for veterancy takes into account fuel cost, and weighs it heavily.

That is why a pak which costs no fuel but does damage to fuel units vets up really fast, whilst an anti infantry tank that costs fuel does not.

I find it weird that pios and engis don't vet up for healing vehicles, because that is what their vet bonuses give them.

And mines.
14 Aug 2014, 18:13 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Complaint made. Considered. Overruled.

Please keep it peaceful, guys? Broodwarjc: please keep on top of things. :)
14 Aug 2014, 20:49 PM

What?

OKW has no units that are useless because they are hard to vet up. A Sturmtiger does not need any vet to 1-shot medium tanks or whole squads without warning from outside of line of sight or through a bush. A Luchs does not need to be vet 5 in order to be worth it. It is already as fearsome as a T70 while being more survivable for a lower fuel price tag. A stuka does not need vet to obliterate enemy positions etc.

That doesn't mean that vet 5 must stay impossible to reach. We are not discussing how effective units are, the topic is that it is not possible to reach vet 5 on most units, unless you comp stomp for hours.

A sturmtiger that acutally can reach some vet ranks and thus has a decreased reload time can turn out the be a favourable choice if you have to decide between a panther, stuka or sturmtiger.
15 Aug 2014, 00:29 AM

This seems to not be a big issue to me. Vet 5 is a bonus that the OKW factions get (their vet 1-3 bonuses are usually on par with other faction's if I'm not mistaken), but it doesn't mean they should get it often either. But unit conservation in a long game serves OKW better than any other faction; their infantry in particular is bar none the best in the game at vet 5.

It's not OKW unique either, it's just a fact of how vet calculation works. AT guns vet crazy fast because they don't cost too much and hit targets that cost more; for AI tanks, it's the opposite. Unless we start giving out special modifiers as to how some units gain vet how fast damaging some other units (which seems like a lot of work), I'm not sure how the problem can be solved.

I mean, you rarely see heavy tanks of all factions reach vet 3 (mercifully). Doesn't mean there's something broken there.
15 Aug 2014, 01:14 AM

The only thing that gains vet too slowly in my opinion on OKW is the Luchs. Today had one with more than 40 Kills ( cons mainly , also some shocks ) and it was vet 2 i think , maybe vet 3 in the end , not entirely sure
15 Aug 2014, 03:35 AM

Trust me when I say that some OKW units very rarely hitting vet 5 is a very, very good thing.

As a 2v2 player, command panthers + troop training (or just keeping it alive) to vet 5 makes the game silly, silly broken.

Not only is all your OKW stuff vet 5 fighting vet 3 (yes I know it's not a perfect symmetry, but w/e), but now every unit your team has also gets to benefit from a bunch of command panther bonuses. The aura on that thing is just so big once it vets up that most 2v2 maps you can net your entire force, and your ally, at the same time.

The super kick in the teeth is that troop training nets you a Tiger Ace in the same commander, which with a vet 5 command panther is just unbelievably filthy.

I didn't realize that and it make me feel SO dirty. Like all over good dirty. Like Nasty dirty.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★