Login

russian armor

Too long to gain Veterancy with some OKW units?

13 Aug 2014, 02:59 AM

The OKW has 5 levels of Veterancy for its units, in exchange it gets 33% less fuel than other factions. The problem I am finding is that some OKW units gain the Veterancy at a reasonable rate (Volks and Paznerfusiliers gain it the easiest), but many of their units get 80+ kills and barely hit Veterancy 1. Take for example the Walking Stuka, has anyone ever seen the Incendiary Rockets (they require Vet 4 by the way)?

I believe that the Veterancy gain for some of the OKW units needs to be looked at or some of the unique abilities that are locked behind Vet 3+ walls need to be moved down to vet 1 or 2 (and move some of them like Puma smoke up to Vet 1).
13 Aug 2014, 03:43 AM

The Walking Stuka requires you to deal damage to get veterency experience, I have had vet 5 walking stukas, it is fine the way it is for US, Soviet and Wehrmacht veterency a set amount of EXP is set to each unit, for vet 1 you need 1x that EXP for vet 2 is is 2x and for vet 3 it is 4x.
Eg. 1) if one conscript squad kills another completely from 100% health to zero it will gain one vet level.
2) if conscript has 1000 exp for it's value and grenadier has 1500 exp and the grenadier squad kills the conscripts they will have 2/3 of vet 1 and be required to kill half a conscript squad more to get vet 1.
3) from e.g. 2, conscript = 1000 exp, grenadier = 1500 exp
if the conscript kills the grenadier it will get vet 1 with 500 exp going toward vet 2.

as for OKW I believe it is the same except for vet 4 and 5 require an even higher multiplier.
13 Aug 2014, 04:09 AM

Yeah, i never see some OKW unit with vet5... On Paper, 5 level veterancy, with some lv.3+ skill vs common 3 level with lv. 1 skill , a trade for 66% fuel income, vs common 100% i think. So i think with good unit preservation, OKW need/deserved his ALL unit 3+ veterancy level for late game.
13 Aug 2014, 06:51 AM

Vet 5 is not the only compensation OKW gets for their low fuel income, it's one of many. Also please keep in mind that OKW vet 4 and 5 are on top of vet 3; they don't get to vet 3 at the same rate as other factions, and can get 4 and 5 after that.

However, you do have a point, some units seem to vet up extremely slow. And it's not just limited to OKW. It's more or less an issue shared with all expensive vehicles that are designed to kill infantry.

The Brummbar, KV-8, Sturmtiger, Stuka, Ostwinds etc all vet up slowly because their main targets are infantry units, who have a low cost and don't give a lot of experience.
13 Aug 2014, 07:10 AM

I've gotten Stukas to vet 5, but I've never used incendiary rockets as regular creeping barrage seems to be better anyways for wiping. They share the same cooldown, so no sense to waste a barrage. Stukas are one of the easier units to gain vet because they deal a shit ton of damage if they hit (30+ kills is not uncommon), turn godly after vet 3 range bonus, and is always at the rear so they never die. They always penetrate when they hit tanks so that gives them a huge vet boost too.

The only units I truly have trouble getting to vet 5 are:

le.IG 18 ISG - they never seem to go beyond vet 2
251/17 flak HT - too vulnerable

KT, Jagdtiger, Sturmtiger are obviously hard because they require so much vet.
13 Aug 2014, 09:52 AM

I think other units like the Kübelwagen and the Luchs need to get Veterancy quicker. And maybe they need something in their vet-bonuses to make them more durable, cause it sucks to have a very experienced unit die to 1 or 2 AT-Shots.
13 Aug 2014, 10:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Aug 2014, 09:52 AMAnarcy
I think other units like the Kübelwagen and the Luchs need to get Veterancy quicker. And maybe they need something in their vet-bonuses to make them more durable, cause it sucks to have a very experienced unit die to 1 or 2 AT-Shots.

The Luchs is already very survivable for only costing 50 fuel. It it takes 3 AT shots to kill it, 4 if it gets lucky with main gun destroyed crit or something.

The more (fuel) expensive T70 and SU76m both all die in 2 hits, as do the allied light vehicles including the stuart and the m8.

The Kubelwagen on the other hand.. that thing needs some love. Perhaps a range increase on vet1 so it can stay further back to rack up more vet.
13 Aug 2014, 10:35 AM

I think Luchs durability is ok, with 400 hp, and his agility, but the vet gain is still to slow for it...

Not only for Luchs, but IE.18, Kubel, Sturmtiger, etc. NEVER reach the maximum lv.5 in a close - high level AND long (40+min)1v1 game.

Unit preservation is simply not enough for this mission, you need for this a noob enemy team, in a 4v4 game with big fat blobs, and maybe, MAYBE you can get vet 5 after a hour intense game for a IE 18, Luchs or a Sturmtiger.
13 Aug 2014, 10:41 AM

Trust me when I say that some OKW units very rarely hitting vet 5 is a very, very good thing.

As a 2v2 player, command panthers + troop training (or just keeping it alive) to vet 5 makes the game silly, silly broken.

Not only is all your OKW stuff vet 5 fighting vet 3 (yes I know it's not a perfect symmetry, but w/e), but now every unit your team has also gets to benefit from a bunch of command panther bonuses. The aura on that thing is just so big once it vets up that most 2v2 maps you can net your entire force, and your ally, at the same time.

The super kick in the teeth is that troop training nets you a Tiger Ace in the same commander, which with a vet 5 command panther is just unbelievably filthy.
13 Aug 2014, 10:46 AM

Not only for Luchs, but IE.18, Kubel, Sturmtiger, etc. NEVER reach the maximum lv.5 in a close - high level AND long (40+min)1v1 game.

If you use a stürmtiger well, it won't even reach vet 1 before the game is over. :D
13 Aug 2014, 10:48 AM

If you use a stürmtiger well, it won't even reach vet 1 before the game is over. :D

It's a sturmtiger. It doesn't need any vet to wipe squads. And tanks xD

Also vet 1 is silly. I don't think I've ever, ever used it. Even when I've had vet 2 sturmies kicking around.

the honest truth is you need to target vehicles with it to vet it up. Try hitting an ISU some day; if it's a little rough around the edges you could well get a wipe.
13 Aug 2014, 10:51 AM

Brachiaraidos, i see there 2 different problems. 1. Some OKW unit NEVER reach his maximum vet level, so vet 5 is only a hypothethical-fancy not a real thing. 2. What you say, is seems to me broken too. Command Panther IF can reach lv.5, a OP unit. Not himself, but his aura. With a ally on elite OST doc(buyable vet), this seems to me some kind of trolling...
13 Aug 2014, 10:56 AM

Aerohank, yes, Sturmtiger have a invisible vet0 skill, the enemy Blobber player morale broken :P. After all, vs a not noob, not every inf units together moving player, Sturmtiger need 100+ inf kill for vet5, and it is i feel to much.
13 Aug 2014, 11:08 AM

Well, it also 1-shots medium tanks. It doesn't need to kill many of those to get vet 1. The problem is that once you wiped like 2-3 squads and a tank, the game is already over in many cases.

Other tanks can rack up vet fast by damaging other tanks over and over again without actually scoring many kills. The Sturmtiger can't do this, it just kills them in 1 shot (unless it's an ISU or IS2).

Now, the sturmtiger is already a pretty sick unit if you know how to use it. I don't feel it's a good idea to have it vet up fast.
13 Aug 2014, 11:33 AM

Now, the sturmtiger is already a pretty sick unit if you know how to use it. I don't feel it's a good idea to have it vet up fast.

This is pretty much the thing with a LOT of OKW units.

They start off as really good units, and by vet 3 they're serious powerhouses. Vet 5 heavy units can, and often will, single handedly break the game you're currently playing with a sickening crunch.

Take the vet 5 command panther again. Even at vet 3, that thing is amazing on its own (a panther that spots for itself and has mark target) and makes your other and allied tanks great.

At vet 5, you have a unit so amazingly good that entire armies quake at the mention of it. That sort of thing straight up should not be showing up in the majority of games (unless troop training abuse because seriously that's silly).

That's the sort of unit that you only should be seeing at the end of long, bitter stalemates. It's the sort of thing that ends an hour and a half bitter grind. And I HAVE got one to vet 5 without ever needing troop training to be on it. My ally was elite troops but that panther never went into my base sector. It was too busy fighting off endless swarms of Easy 8's and T-34-85 on crossing in the woods. That single unit, once it was fully vetted up, is a good chunk of the reason we won that game, and a long one it had been.

Similarly, I've seen a vet 5 sturmtiger. The passives are all just sort of okay, but once you have one you have a reloading machine that can point, shoot and wipe all day long. It breaks games. And the only time I feel the game should be broken is if it needs breaking to end a stalemate.

I appreciate that it can be saddening, especially in 1v1, to never see those 5 start over a unit. But just ask yourself a question, with most of them; do I really need 5 stars to kick ass with it?
13 Aug 2014, 11:56 AM

The faction's Veterancy gain shouldn't be reliant on "Your ally in other game modes can use Elite troops to boost your Vet Level, so you should gain it at a turtle's pace on other modes to compensate". The fix there might be to make it so only the player with elite troops can use it on his own troops. :/

And like I said it is not necessarily that I want all units to kill 10 enemy units and instantly hit Vet 5, but rather that some of their on-screen-button abilities not be locked behind almost unobtainable Vet walls.
13 Aug 2014, 13:19 PM

Only time I get the Kübelwagen to vet 4 is when I lock the enemy in his base... probably because supressed units don't take much damage.

Infantrysupportgun seems to get vet pretty good, saddly it is bugged, vet 4 I think even makes it fire a bit slower.

Stuka most of the Time only gets vet 2 (that or vet 3 is all it needs, because vet 5 only gives mobility) but its still sad.

Tanks you can be happy if they get vet 3. But thats the same for every faction.
13 Aug 2014, 22:15 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

getting a vet 5 kubelwagen is like crashing a plane into your opponent's army.

Highly unusual, but hilarious and awesome.
13 Aug 2014, 22:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Aug 2014, 22:15 PMRomeo
getting a vet 5 kubelwagen is like crashing a plane into your opponent's army.

Highly unusual, but hilarious and awesome.

I once had two planes in the sky land, one after the other, on both of my T-34/85's. In the space of a minute.

I cried a little.

It was only made worse by the fact it was me that shot them both down.
13 Aug 2014, 23:00 PM
Patrion 27

Isn't veterancy tied to unit cost and/or HP?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★